OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 07:41:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How much disclosure during Orthodox evangelism?  (Read 1311 times) Average Rating: 0
Peleg

Faith: Orthodox member
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: September 10, 2009, 05:04:04 PM »

I have noticed somewhat of a trend in some major pushes in Orthodox evangelism.  I wonder if we are overselling the Orthodox Church and setting some people up for disappointment once they convert.  Kinda like Protestants when they present the gospel by saying God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life.  While there is truth in statements like this it is also very simplistic and deceptive in that the Christian life is one of struggle for all and for some it brings suffering and death.  With us it is attempting to show how Orthodoxy is not fragmented like Protestantism is yet, in America for sure, it is a mess!  We point to a lack of holiness and reverence on the part of many Protestants and yet anyone whose been Orthodox for any time will see we are just as guilty as they are.  We point to the advantages of our episcopacy and yet we too are rife w/ corruption at the very top.  It's like we are painting a picture of the Church as it should be not as it actually is. 

I'm asking these questions because I know of someone who was poorly catechised and when he began finding out more of the reality of the Church both past and present he left.  W/o doubt some of this ignorance was his own fault but we also bare some responsibility.  Where's the balance?  I see much of what I'm talking about coming from the evangelistic efforts of those who came into the Church from Fr. Peter Gillquist's group.  I too came into the church, in part, due to their efforts.  I attend one of those churches.  Should we not focus on Christ and bring them into the Church instead of focusing on the Church and how it is better than what they have?  Just thinking.  What are your thots??
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 05:15:55 PM »

Grace and Peace,

One of the first things our Orthodox Parish Priest did when I told him I was considering converting was it point out all the ugliness within contempory Orthodoxy in America. It was an eye opener for me because I had a very 'idealized' view of the Church because of Forums like this and because our Orthodox Parish Priest was such a wonderful example of the fruit of Orthodoxy. I recognize that not every Orthodox is Saint Seraphim of Sarov but I understand that many do 'idealize' Orthodoxy as you appear to suggest. I think Roman Catholics do the same thing. So what is the difference? Perhaps it's in the reality that within Orthodoxy there exists the fullest 'means' to transcend our worldly weaknesses. Perhaps we don't all participate fully in that pursuit but the 'means' are not less present. Does that help in anyway coming from one who is converting?

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 05:29:00 PM »

Someone said that there should be a canon that a seeker should be required to go to a parish council meeting before being accepted as a catechumen.

Obviously the Church is better than what they, as she is the Body of Christ, warts and all.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Peleg

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 05:37:05 PM »

Grace and Peace,

One of the first things our Orthodox Parish Priest did when I told him I was considering converting was it point out all the ugliness within contempory Orthodoxy in America. It was an eye opener for me because I had a very 'idealized' view of the Church because of Forums like this and because our Orthodox Parish Priest was such a wonderful example of the fruit of Orthodoxy. I recognize that not every Orthodox is Saint Seraphim of Sarov but I understand that many do 'idealize' Orthodoxy as you appear to suggest. I think Roman Catholics do the same thing. So what is the difference? Perhaps it's in the reality that within Orthodoxy there exists the fullest 'means' to transcend our worldly weaknesses. Perhaps we don't all participate fully in that pursuit but the 'means' are not less present. Does that help in anyway coming from one who is converting?

First, praise God you're coming over!  Actually, the way you just stated things is a wonderful way of putting it.  The means to the pursuit of God and the Christian life are here like no where else.  That's a great way of putting it and it's true.  Thanks.

I too availed myself to the darker side of Orthodoxy before my conversion so I have not been as shocked as some have been at its failures.  Also, I too have a great priest and healthy church.  I and my family are very blessed.
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 09:21:23 AM »

When I became Orthodox, I expected the Church to be wonderful, but I certainly didn't expect everyone in it to be perfect. I expected them to be just like me, sinners in desperate need of the grace of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

I haven't been disapointed in either! Wink

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
rwprof
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA now, Antiochian originally

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 10:45:01 AM »

One of the first things our Orthodox Parish Priest did when I told him I was considering converting was it point out all the ugliness within contempory Orthodoxy in America. It was an eye opener for me because I had a very 'idealized' view of the Church because of Forums like this

Wow. I'm not being confrontational, but we air dirty laundry here every day, and those threads tend to be among the most commented upon here. Do you read selectively, or only certain forums here?

Mark (rwprof) passed into eternal life on Jan 7, 2010.  May his memory be eternal!
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 11:26:20 AM »

When I became Orthodox, I expected the Church to be wonderful, but I certainly didn't expect everyone in it to be perfect. I expected them to be just like me, sinners in desperate need of the grace of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

I guess what Peleg might also be bringing up is if Orthodoxy is truly therapeutic that there should be evidence of that 'grace' amongst it's Laity, Priests and Religious.

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 11:27:44 AM »

One of the first things our Orthodox Parish Priest did when I told him I was considering converting was it point out all the ugliness within contempory Orthodoxy in America. It was an eye opener for me because I had a very 'idealized' view of the Church because of Forums like this

Wow. I'm not being confrontational, but we air dirty laundry here every day, and those threads tend to be among the most commented upon here. Do you read selectively, or only certain forums here?

Oh no, I've read some rather tough stuff on this forum. I wasn't trying to suggest that such things are avoided here or anything.

GreekChef
Prez
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America: Metropolis of Atlanta

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 11:52:14 AM »

I too, think that we should be honest with catechumens.  I teach the catechumen class at our parish, and when I discuss certain issues (like the issue of jurisdictions, or language, or pews, or organs/choirs, or women in the church, or headcoverings/dress, etc.), I am quite upfront with them about the fact that these are areas where the Church needs improvement, where individual parishes (even when it's a lot of individual parishes, or most individual parishes) need to make some changes.  I tell them gently but clearly what I believe, what the Church teaches (with the assistance of the priests, catechism materials, etc., of course), and what is actually happening in the parishes.  Sometimes they are, indeed, disappointed, confused, and even upset.

But I make a very clear distinction, which I think is important for all of us to remember... while the Church is perfect, the people who run it and the people who are members of it are NOT.  And there is always growing to be done in our journey to theosis, both as individuals and as a body worshipping together.  And I try to offer them the opportunity to be part of the solution, by suggesting that they talk to the priests, write to or talk to the Bishops (if they feel very strongly and want to), write articles (like the famous "12 things I wish I knew" by Fredrica Matthewes-Green), etc.  And of course, I tell them to seek guidance in grappling with these issues from a spiritual father, and pray about them.  I find this is the best way to approach it.  Honesty and love, admitting our downfalls and trying to improve upon them, being part of the solution rather than allowing the problem to continue.

Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me.
Matthew 18:5
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 12:28:23 PM »

I guess what Peleg might also be bringing up is if Orthodoxy is truly therapeutic that there should be evidence of that 'grace' amongst it's Laity, Priests and Religious.

Well, there is, of course. I've seen it. And in some mighty unexpected places. But since I don't know the truth of every human heart, and AFAIK we're all just struggling sinners, I don't expect perfection.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 01:36:12 PM »

I don't know for sure, but I feel as though before and even during my catechumenate I have looked for any and every reason not to convert, simply because this is causing some big problems in my marriage and family life in general.  No one around me, friends, family or whoever really understand what I am doing.  Leading up to Orthodoxy I have spent years studying world religions and such, and I do not consider myself an expert by any means, but ultimately I know that I want the Truth and not what is easy.

I think a lot of people are looking for religion to solve all of their problems, and they are disappointed and give up when it does not.  Orthodoxy seems to be creating more problems in my life in some ways, although I would certainly say it has been a blessing above all else.  Anyway, I have even read many of the books people post on here as give the real picture of Orthodoxy, such as When Angels Fall and A Concise History of Greece.  From years of historical/critical study of early Christianity, I am more than familiar with all of the arguments against the imperial Church. 

I feel like I've been dragged through the mud and dirt of all of human history.  I feel as though I've stretched myself so thin through endless paradigm shifts that it is hard for me to have my own perspective anymore without it being contradicted internally by a thousand squabbling voices.  The tempest of possibilities crashing against the walls of my mind give me no peace, and I am constantly full of doubt and sorrow.  Some days it's a struggle simply to want to go on existing.

But in all of this screaming chaos before me, I find refuge when I hear the words of Christ alone.  I find Truth when I read the Holy Gospels.  I find calm from the storm when I enter the nave of the church; when I board ark of salvation.  The liturgy synchronizes me with the eternal and leads me into the heavenly courts.  When I pray the Church's prayers in the evening before I go to bed, I am at times filled with peace instead of panic.

So before I have even entered the Church, I feel as though I've looked for everything else, and have even sought all the ways in which I might doubt and leave the Church.  But I cannot escape Christ, no matter how hard I try.  He is the only true life, love and peace I have known.  When I cut myself off from Him all I feel is more death and more hopelessness.  I decided that I could be miserable for the rest of my life running away from God, or I could take up my cross and begin to fight the passions rather than cowering before them.

I don't know how any of this relates to the thread, so forgive me and moderators feel free to delete the post if it is irrelevant.  I kind of went off on a tangent and started venting.  Peace to all of you!
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 02:24:09 PM »

I moved this topic to the Religous Topics Forum. It is an excellent topic however it is dealing with what we should tell or disclose to Catechumen rather than being an issue the inquior,catechumen, or new convert would have that needs addressing in the Convert Issues Forum. Please continue this great topic  here in the Religous topics.
Thank you,
Thomas
Convert Issues Forum Moderator

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 02:31:56 PM »

I don't know for sure, but I feel as though before and even during my catechumenate I have looked for any and every reason not to convert, simply because this is causing some big problems in my marriage and family life in general.  No one around me, friends, family or whoever really understand what I am doing. 

...I think a lot of people are looking for religion to solve all of their problems, and they are disappointed and give up when it does not.  Orthodoxy seems to be creating more problems in my life in some ways, although I would certainly say it has been a blessing above all else. 

...But in all of this screaming chaos before me, I find refuge when I hear the words of Christ alone.  I find Truth when I read the Holy Gospels.  I find calm from the storm when I enter the nave of the church; when I board ark of salvation.  The liturgy synchronizes me with the eternal and leads me into the heavenly courts. 

...So before I have even entered the Church, I feel as though I've looked for everything else, and have even sought all the ways in which I might doubt and leave the Church.  But I cannot escape Christ, no matter how hard I try.  He is the only true life, love and peace I have known.  When I cut myself off from Him all I feel is more death and more hopelessness.  I decided that I could be miserable for the rest of my life running away from God, or I could take up my cross and begin to fight the passions rather than cowering before them.

This so resonates with me and my own personal experience/struggles/journey that I just wanted you to know you're not alone!
Beautifully said, btw.

St. John Chrysostom
Liz
High Elder

Faith: Church of England

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 02:39:43 PM »

I don't know for sure, but I feel as though before and even during my catechumenate I have looked for any and every reason not to convert, simply because this is causing some big problems in my marriage and family life in general.  No one around me, friends, family or whoever really understand what I am doing.  Leading up to Orthodoxy I have spent years studying world religions and such, and I do not consider myself an expert by any means, but ultimately I know that I want the Truth and not what is easy.

I think a lot of people are looking for religion to solve all of their problems, and they are disappointed and give up when it does not.  Orthodoxy seems to be creating more problems in my life in some ways, although I would certainly say it has been a blessing above all else.  Anyway, I have even read many of the books people post on here as give the real picture of Orthodoxy, such as When Angels Fall and A Concise History of Greece.  From years of historical/critical study of early Christianity, I am more than familiar with all of the arguments against the imperial Church. 

I feel like I've been dragged through the mud and dirt of all of human history.  I feel as though I've stretched myself so thin through endless paradigm shifts that it is hard for me to have my own perspective anymore without it being contradicted internally by a thousand squabbling voices.  The tempest of possibilities crashing against the walls of my mind give me no peace, and I am constantly full of doubt and sorrow.  Some days it's a struggle simply to want to go on existing.

But in all of this screaming chaos before me, I find refuge when I hear the words of Christ alone.  I find Truth when I read the Holy Gospels.  I find calm from the storm when I enter the nave of the church; when I board ark of salvation.  The liturgy synchronizes me with the eternal and leads me into the heavenly courts.  When I pray the Church's prayers in the evening before I go to bed, I am at times filled with peace instead of panic.

So before I have even entered the Church, I feel as though I've looked for everything else, and have even sought all the ways in which I might doubt and leave the Church.  But I cannot escape Christ, no matter how hard I try.  He is the only true life, love and peace I have known.  When I cut myself off from Him all I feel is more death and more hopelessness.  I decided that I could be miserable for the rest of my life running away from God, or I could take up my cross and begin to fight the passions rather than cowering before them.

I don't know how any of this relates to the thread, so forgive me and moderators feel free to delete the post if it is irrelevant.  I kind of went off on a tangent and started venting.  Peace to all of you!

I agree with Katherine; this is a really good tangent to go on.

I think being tested in faith is good. I'm sorry you're having a tough time of it, but this way at least you really   know you are meant to be Orthodox. For me, it's the other way round and it would be convenient if only I could convert, but it's not in me. So, I wish you best of luck with the remaining problems.

God bless,

Liz.
Peleg

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 05:14:37 PM »

Wow, that has been very similar to my own experience.  I come from the background of being a hard core Protestant for 30 years.  During the 2+ years I spent checking out the Church I got all kinds of coincidental assurances that I was headed in the right direction.  I would show up to catechumin classes racked w/ doubt only to experience incredible peace of being home w/in a very short time of being there.  But...once my family and I came full time to the church and were received in things reversed.  Now these same kinds of coincidences seem to be trying to separate us from the Church.  The timing of these things seem to be telling me I had made a terrible mistake and God was trying to get my attention.  For a month there recently I got very frustrated and angry at God and fell into what Prots like to call backsliding.  I've come back now but the difficulties continue.  I'm hanging in there though.
GreekChef
Prez
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America: Metropolis of Atlanta

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2009, 09:58:08 AM »

Wow, that has been very similar to my own experience.  I come from the background of being a hard core Protestant for 30 years.  During the 2+ years I spent checking out the Church I got all kinds of coincidental assurances that I was headed in the right direction.  I would show up to catechumin classes racked w/ doubt only to experience incredible peace of being home w/in a very short time of being there.  But...once my family and I came full time to the church and were received in things reversed.  Now these same kinds of coincidences seem to be trying to separate us from the Church.  The timing of these things seem to be telling me I had made a terrible mistake and God was trying to get my attention.  For a month there recently I got very frustrated and angry at God and fell into what Prots like to call backsliding.  I've come back now but the difficulties continue.  I'm hanging in there though.

One of my favorite priests in the world said something to me just last week that I think applies here.  The evil one attacks us the most when we are coming down from a spiritual "high."  When we are at our most secure spiritually, feeling good about the decisions we make in our relationship with Christ, when we have just received the sacraments, etc... This is when the evil one attacks us the hardest and tries his best to separate us from Christ.  He throws every doubt, every temptation, everything but the kitchen sink at us. 

Stay strong, friend.  By God's grace you'll make it through.

Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me.
Matthew 18:5
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2009, 01:15:19 AM »

I have noticed somewhat of a trend in some major pushes in Orthodox evangelism.  I wonder if we are overselling the Orthodox Church and setting some people up for disappointment once they convert.  Kinda like Protestants when they present the gospel by saying God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life.  While there is truth in statements like this it is also very simplistic and deceptive in that the Christian life is one of struggle for all and for some it brings suffering and death.  With us it is attempting to show how Orthodoxy is not fragmented like Protestantism is yet, in America for sure, it is a mess!  We point to a lack of holiness and reverence on the part of many Protestants and yet anyone whose been Orthodox for any time will see we are just as guilty as they are.  We point to the advantages of our episcopacy and yet we too are rife w/ corruption at the very top.  It's like we are painting a picture of the Church as it should be not as it actually is. 

I'm asking these questions because I know of someone who was poorly catechised and when he began finding out more of the reality of the Church both past and present he left.  W/o doubt some of this ignorance was his own fault but we also bare some responsibility.  Where's the balance?  I see much of what I'm talking about coming from the evangelistic efforts of those who came into the Church from Fr. Peter Gillquist's group.  I too came into the church, in part, due to their efforts.  I attend one of those churches.  Should we not focus on Christ and bring them into the Church instead of focusing on the Church and how it is better than what they have?  Just thinking.  What are your thots??

I understand what you are talking about, and this is why I am honest about what it takes to make it as an Orthodox Christian. It takes the ability to persevere through suffering.....both inwardly as well as outwardly. If you are not able to persevere through negative statements, short comings of clergy, and laity then you may not last.

A convert needs to know that the Church isn't perfect, and that the people in it aren't always nice and loving. But, but if they are able to have thick skin, and if they are able to persevere through both internal as well as external suffering, then they will be able to survive.

I am an advocate of more missions, for converts will thrive easily in a mission environment.

You don't have to worry about some of the country club church politics........you can easily side step all of that through a church mission.

ICXC NIKA

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: