OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 10:20:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should OC.net add the following feature?  (Read 5236 times) Average Rating: 0
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« on: November 30, 2003, 11:22:32 PM »

VOTE!
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2003, 11:25:39 PM »

can I vote more than once?? Grin

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2003, 03:48:38 AM »

can I vote more than once?? Grin

You don't by any chance happen to live in Florida, do you?

John.
the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2003, 04:52:31 AM »

Dunno about Florida - but "vote early , vote often " is not unknown over here Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Warned
Archon

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2003, 08:23:34 AM »

I think it should list all the jurisdictions you've been in-- with durations in each . . . . Grin

(negative durations for those you are still a catechumen in
 Wink )
« Last Edit: December 01, 2003, 08:25:50 AM by Keble » Logged
prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2003, 09:25:08 AM »

We'll just keep a history of jurisdiction changes Grin

John
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2003, 09:41:14 AM »

length of time? yikes that could be very revealing for some of us.  Some of us are rather old so telling how long one has been a part of a given jursidiction would also give away their age!  Vicki comes to mind . . . Grin

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Karamazov
Elder

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2003, 09:43:42 AM »

As long as it is optional, I vote yes.  Some people prefer to maintain some level of anonymity.
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2003, 10:13:31 AM »

I voted "yes," but this is not an option I care much about one way or the other.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2003, 10:34:11 AM »

Sounds good, but I think Orthodox Catechuman (without a jurisdictional modifier) should also be an option.  And if a person is deceiving the board, the admins/mods should have the prerogative to change the listing to the correct one.  This of course wouldn't apply to those who choose to remain anonymous in the affiliation, only those who commit falsehood ie - Keble listing himself as Pentecostal.  :p

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2003, 10:36:06 AM »

Sounds good, but I think Orthodox Catechuman (without a jurisdictional modifier) should also be an option.  And if a person is deceiving the board, the admins/mods should have the prerogative to change the listing to the correct one.  This of course wouldn't apply to those who choose to remain anonymous in the affiliation, only those who commit falsehood ie - Keble listing himself as Pentecostal.  :p

What!

You mean Keble isn't a Pentecostal?

Shocked

Then who's the guy on the right?

« Last Edit: December 01, 2003, 10:50:24 AM by Linus7 » Logged

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2003, 11:14:08 AM »

Keble, shame on you!   Grin

[1] Now the serpent was more subtle than any other wild creature that the LORD God had made. He said to the woman, "Did God say, You shall not eat of any tree of the garden'?"
[2] And the woman said to the serpent, "We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden;
[3] but God said, You shall not eat of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, neither shall you touch it, lest you die.'"
[4] But the serpent said to the woman, "You will not die.
[5] For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."
[6] So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was to be desired to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate; and she also gave some to her husband, and he ate.
[7] Then the eyes of both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves aprons.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2003, 11:16:52 AM by David » Logged

-Yazid Ibrahim
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2003, 12:32:09 PM »

If one chooses to disclose his/her/its affiliation seems to be a good option, as long as nobody uses it for harassment or conversion.

Of course there are renegades here and they should be sought out and muted by the Imperial SOP'S.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2003, 03:11:53 PM »

Well, from advice given by an OC.net member, I think we will make it very unspecific.

For instance, instead of specifying which jurisdiction one is, we'd just have Eastern Orthodox.  This will cut down on the jurisdiction squabbles which seem to be so famous among Internet Orthodox Smiley

So basically the list would include:
Eastern Orthodox
Oriental Orthodox
Roman Catholic
Eastern Catholic
Protestant
Other
N/A

I think this would be a much cleaner way of implementing the system, and achieving the general goal by basically allowing everyone to get the gist, without getting too specific, into everyone's "canonical" situation.

In response to David...

I removed the Chat link at the top that indicated how many members were in the room mainly because the chat server is hosted on another site, and the script would query that server, adding a few seconds to every page load. It was annoying at times, and by eliminating it, I cut down on page load times significantly.
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2003, 03:44:36 PM »

mr Turkey: good start Smiley

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2003, 03:45:03 PM »

Now the question is what will  you use as symbols for each?

the slave
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2003, 03:47:54 PM »

Q for Mr Turkey
If you do the 'Labels' that way - what are the Catechumens /Catechumen wannabees supposed to show themselves as ?

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2003, 03:52:47 PM »

slave: they could choose to identify with what they are converting to, or what they still are or just go with other Smiley It's not about putting everyone into boxes, but rather allowing us to stand up and be counted Smiley

David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2003, 03:55:48 PM »

Bobby,

You're right, that does sound like a better(and simpler) system.  

About the chat server, would it be possible to add a link that says "click here to see who is in the chat room" instead?

-Yazid Ibrahim
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Warned
Archon

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2003, 05:24:37 PM »

Is it time for my "Protestantism isn't all one thing" rant?

Yes, it is!  Angry
KO63AP

Грай, кобзарю! ЛÐÂ

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2003, 05:29:27 PM »

Is it time for my "Protestantism isn't all one thing" rant?

Yes, it is!  Angry

Would differentiating between "High" and "Low" suffice?

Ті, що сіють у сльозах, пожнуть у радосÑ
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2003, 06:26:21 PM »

I knew this Idea was hairbrained. It's going to be trouble - let's just scrub it.

- St. John Maximovitch
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2003, 06:35:42 PM »

YOu can cover all schools of protestant thought in three main catagories:

Anglican

Lutheran

Calvinist.

But if nothing else, you could say Liturgical or Sacramental protestant and damn dumb fundies Grin

David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2003, 06:55:26 PM »

Protestant subcategories
1. Anglican
2. Lutheran
3. Calvinist
4. Arminian
5. Protestant Other

So, for instance, Lutheraninquirer would be
Protestant>Lutheran

How dat?

-Yazid Ibrahim
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2003, 06:58:21 PM »

david: very tactful and diplomatic. Smiley

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2003, 06:59:13 PM »

If anyone should balk at this system it should be me since I don't exactly fit into any box. Smiley  

unless you count the box vicki shoves me in all the time - TROUBLE MAKER. Tongue Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: December 01, 2003, 07:00:22 PM by Br. Max, OFC » Logged

Oblio
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The Pointless One !

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2003, 07:02:59 PM »

Keble...indeedy, we sympatize...but all 10,000 branches of start-yer-own Protestants will wantto be represented, not merely the tried, true, solid we know-what you are sorts like Lutherans and Anglicans.

Yepper.  That very thing happened over at CF.  Folks clamoring saying things like 'I'm jus' a Christian' to absurdities like Baptists claiming that were not Protestant but part of the HPC (Hidden Parallel Church (tm) ) and the Messainics who will have nothing to do with the term Christian or the Cross for that matter. :rolleyes:  What a mess it was for the owner/coder !
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2003, 07:17:44 PM »

I wanna chi-rho for my symbol. Smiley

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2003, 07:20:03 PM »

Hidden Parallel Church (tm)?!?!

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2003, 07:21:55 PM »

ebor: oh never heard of that?  You didn't know there always were baptists around that the catholics persicuted and killed from the first century of the church?

MsGuided
Pharmakolytria
Elder

St. Anastasia

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2003, 07:55:15 PM »

I wanna chi-rho for my symbol. Smiley

How interesting that I never made the connection....the Pharmacists' Honour Society is the Rho Chi Society Roll Eyes

Just goes to show how backwards we really are...

"Forgive me that great love leads me to talking nonsense." Barsanuphius
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2003, 08:03:20 PM »

one could say that things are a little misguided Wink

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2003, 09:40:50 PM »

Little MsGuided...you took the words right out of my mouth, Br. Max.  Grin

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
MsGuided
Pharmakolytria
Elder

St. Anastasia

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2003, 09:46:40 PM »

You had to make a short joke, huh  Tongue

"Forgive me that great love leads me to talking nonsense." Barsanuphius
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2003, 10:42:25 PM »

lol Grin

the slave
High Elder

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2003, 04:21:34 AM »

What's "kool-aid " Huh  Huh

- St. John Maximovitch
Oblio
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The Pointless One !

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2003, 08:06:11 AM »

It's a classic powdered drink concentrate to which sugar and water is added making a concoction that has put boats in slips and airplanes in hangers for many a dentist.  A generation of baby Boomers in the States grew up on it before they graduated to beer Smiley
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2003, 09:57:49 AM »

I see - thanks for that.

Interesting that someone else shares my views about dentist's fees.

I , admittedly a while back ,made some crack to my dentist about his new boat - along the lines of well that's about three quarters of your boat now paid for and got the response of " you are kidding  ! I can now afford to have a mast - the rest of the boat has still to be bought !"

It should of course be obvious that what I actually said was not quite that as my mouth was full of his gadgets at the time Sad
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 09:58:35 AM by the slave » Logged

- St. John Maximovitch
prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2003, 10:06:52 AM »

In response to David...

I removed the Chat link at the top that indicated how many members were in the room mainly because the chat server is hosted on another site, and the script would query that server, adding a few seconds to every page load. It was annoying at times, and by eliminating it, I cut down on page load times significantly.

Can't you regularly query the other server and cache the result on the web server for instant and fairly up to date results? (Says John who has never coded in html, let alone any of the myriad scripting languages available today Wink)
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2003, 10:29:11 AM »

It could be cached, but I'm currently working on a Java Servlet written in J# for chat that is hosted locally so we don't have to rely on everywherechat.com

Bobby
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2003, 10:30:08 AM »

Yes I know.. .NET

I still hate M$

Bobby
KO63AP

Грай, кобзарю! ЛÐÂ

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2003, 03:13:44 PM »

Don't forget the Jonestown variety  Wink

I had to do a double-take when I saw that one of our committee members is a "Rev. Jim Jones". Shocked  I hope he's never asked to arrange the catering!

Andrij

Ті, що сіють у сльозах, пожнуть у радосÑ
the slave
High Elder

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2003, 03:19:10 PM »

HUH Huh   Huh   Huh

- St. John Maximovitch
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2003, 05:41:27 PM »

Don't forget the Jonestown variety  Wink

I had to do a double-take when I saw that one of our committee members is a "Rev. Jim Jones". Shocked  I hope he's never asked to arrange the catering!

Andrij
 LOL that's almost as funny as Sr Julia Child of God as the cook in the musical Nunsense who kills all the sisters. Grin

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2003, 05:42:45 PM »

slave: jim jones was a nutter who lead a bunch of fundies to South america and poisoned them with kool-aid

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: