Author Topic: Advice on Transcending Cool  (Read 1226 times)

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Merarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
Advice on Transcending Cool
« on: October 17, 2013, 10:21:17 AM »
It has been stated elsewhere, quite truthfully I hasten to admit, that Mor Ephrem trancsends cool.  If anyone, especially Mor, has advice on how this can be accomplished, please post in this thread.
"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
  • Faith: Confederate Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Puerto Rican Orthodox Sobor
Re: Advice on Transcending Cool
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 10:22:44 AM »
I would be intersted too.  Is it a state of being?  Or merely transcending temperature?  A physical or spiritual state?  I must know!
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Another blog - http://literarydiktator.blogspot.com/

Offline elephant

• High Elder
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 11:00:06 AM »
Here is a pic of how it is done:

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 12:01:21 PM »
I can't tell you how to transcend cool, I can only live as I do and model it for you.  It is for each person to try and emulate me, but whether or not they have the capacity to transcend cool depends on how they were created. 

For starters, though, I will observe that "cool" is spelled "cool", not "ceol", "crcl", etc.  :P
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Offline Romaios

• Archon
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 12:06:02 PM »
For starters, though, I will observe that "cool" is spelled "cool", not "ceol", "crcl", etc.  :P

Ceol is cool. ;)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 12:08:45 PM »
I agree, I like Irish music and Old English boats too.  :P

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Merarches
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 12:10:10 PM »
I can't tell you how to transcend cool, I can only live as I do and model it for you.  It is for each person to try and emulate me, but whether or not they have the capacity to transcend cool depends on how they were created. 

You are a model?  A male model??  Now....cool is rapidly being approached.  But you have yet to enlighten us on what it is about how you live your live that enables you to transcend cool.  Please, Mor....
"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 12:10:53 PM »

Ceol is cool. ;)

But there is nothing about Mor's transcendence here.... :( :(

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 12:15:12 PM »

This strikes me as Mor(e) like advice on how to acquire hemorrhoids.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 12:36:59 PM »

This strikes me as Mor(e) like advice on how to acquire hemorrhoids.

Ach, he's sitting on a nice, modern cushion.  Not cool at all. >:(
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 12:37:34 PM »

Being vague is cool.

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 12:55:05 PM »
I can't tell you how to transcend cool, I can only live as I do and model it for you.  It is for each person to try and emulate me, but whether or not they have the capacity to transcend cool depends on how they were created.  

For starters, though, I will observe that "cool" is spelled "cool", not "ceol", "crcl", etc.  :P

Being vague is cool.

So....one can transcend cool by not being vague??  Or is it by being so incredibly vague that clarity is imminent?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 12:55:52 PM by J Michael »

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 01:04:27 PM »
I can't tell you how to transcend cool, I can only live as I do and model it for you.  It is for each person to try and emulate me, but whether or not they have the capacity to transcend cool depends on how they were created.  

For starters, though, I will observe that "cool" is spelled "cool", not "ceol", "crcl", etc.  :P

Being vague is cool.

So....one can transcend cool by not being vague??  Or is it by being so incredibly vague that clarity is imminent?

Yes. ;) :laugh:

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 01:46:25 PM »

Being vague is cool.

Yes. ;) :laugh:

Wow!  Cool!*

*As I've posted elsewhere, "cool is overrated". ;)

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
  • Praying for the Christians in Iraq
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 04:01:23 PM »
What if real cool is like an asymptote?
You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2013, 04:09:14 PM »

A wut? ??? ???  I had to look that up  >:( >:(.  I hate it when you use words I have to look up   :'( :o.  Especially when even when I look them up the explanation/definition is waaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over my head. :'( :'( :'(

EDIT:  I just went back and looked that up again.  My head exploded and now my monitor and keyboard are a huge mess.  Thanks, Papist. ::)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 04:11:58 PM by J Michael »

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2013, 04:16:30 PM »

A wut? ??? ???  I had to look that up  >:( >:(.  I hate it when you use words I have to look up   :'( :o.  Especially when even when I look them up the explanation/definition is waaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over my head. :'( :'( :'(
Sorry about that. :(  Here is a picture of an asymptote. It's a line that the graph of a function approaches but never actually reaches. Thus, real cool might be something some one approaches but never actually reaches. It was a dumb post, so sorry about that. But I'm sure it won't be the last dumb post I produce.  :D

The dotted lines below are asymptotes.
You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2013, 04:22:15 PM »

A wut? ??? ???  I had to look that up  >:( >:(.  I hate it when you use words I have to look up   :'( :o.  Especially when even when I look them up the explanation/definition is waaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over my head. :'( :'( :'(
Sorry about that. :(  Here is a picture of an asymptote. It's a line that the graph of a function approaches but never actually reaches. Thus, real cool might be something some one approaches but never actually reaches. It was a dumb post, so sorry about that. But I'm sure it won't be the last dumb post I produce.  :D

The dotted lines below are asymptotes.

Yeah.  Already saw the darned picture.  My head just re-exploded.  Thanks again, Papist. ::) ;D ;D

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2013, 07:46:22 PM »
My head just re-exploded. 
The Interwebs will do that.  ;)

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2013, 08:20:50 PM »

Is that Vladimir Putin? Is there anything he can't do?
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2013, 08:37:03 PM »

At first glance, I thought the same thing!

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2013, 09:57:28 AM »

At first glance, I thought the same thing!

Vlad wouldn't be sitting on a cushion.  He's a real man! ;D

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2013, 10:17:23 AM »
He wouldn't be sitting on a rock either.  No, he would be in the snow.

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2013, 10:36:41 AM »
He wouldn't be sitting on a rock either.  No, he would be in the snow.

QFT!

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Now with bigger boots!
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2013, 11:32:27 AM »
Pshaw. Cool is immanent, not transcendent.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2013, 11:33:37 AM »
So everyone is Kewl?

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Now with bigger boots!
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2013, 11:37:42 AM »
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2013, 11:37:52 AM »
So everyone is Kewl?

Now that would be strange----everyone with the same name and the name is Kewl. ;D

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Now with bigger boots!
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2013, 11:39:28 AM »
So everyone is Kewl?

Now that would be strange----everyone with the same name and the name is Kewl. ;D

It works for Singh. Rawr. ;)

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2013, 11:39:55 AM »
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 11:45:01 AM by Papist »

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2013, 11:42:07 AM »

You seem to have done it.  Congratulations, my good man!

EDIT:  Okay, I take it back, based on your edit.  How terribly disappointing  :( :(.

2nd EDIT:  What?  Wait...what are you doing to me??
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 11:46:30 AM by J Michael »

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2013, 11:44:15 AM »
So everyone is Kewl?

It works for Singh. Rawr. ;)

But...wait...NOT everyone is called "Singh" and it's not a first name.  Unless of course, one is named Singh Singh, which just happens to rhyme quite nicely with the name of a prison in New York. 

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Now with bigger boots!
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2013, 12:26:36 PM »

He's messing with your miiiiiiiind...

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2013, 12:37:04 PM »

Thank you for confirming that there is still something left to mess with, however minute. ;D ;D

Online Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Now with bigger boots!
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2013, 12:39:27 PM »

Thank you for confirming that there is still something left to mess with, however minute. ;D ;D

Of course there is. Otherwise, he would be playing with himself, and we can't have that.

Offline Papist

• Toumarches
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2013, 12:47:30 PM »

EDIT:  Okay, I take it back, based on your edit.  How terribly disappointing  :( :(.

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2013, 01:25:17 PM »

Of course there is. Otherwise, he would be playing with himself, and we can't have that.

Aren't there threads about that elsewhere on this board?

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2013, 01:25:57 PM »

Can't fool me no more! I'm on to your trickeration. ;D ;D

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2013, 01:30:22 PM »
I'm kornfuzed ??? ??? ???

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2013, 01:53:40 PM »
I'm kornfuzed ??? ??? ???

Kornfuzion is an interesting genre of music.  Can't say I like it all that much, but....

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2013, 02:19:34 PM »

I don't think so...apparently, he even teaches birds how to fly.  He may even be better at it than they. 

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2013, 04:14:11 PM »

I don't think so...apparently, he even teaches birds how to fly.  He may even be better at it than they. 

A man who can teach birds how to fly has obviously transcended cool, in all its manifestations.