OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 09:24:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ALL or MANY?  (Read 7556 times) Average Rating: 0
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2004, 02:03:29 AM »

A little Latin never hurt anybody!!  Tongue

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2004, 09:51:57 AM »

MOR: depends on who the "little Latin" is.  Wink

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2004, 02:53:47 PM »

A little Latin never hurt anybody!!  Tongue

ANATHEMA!!!
jbc1949

St. Adeodatus--Given by God

« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2004, 06:23:48 PM »

Why on earth would we have any part of the liturgy in a dead foreign language?  I look at it this way - the apostles had the liturgy in the vernacular - the GREEKS still do, so why on earth shouldn't we have it in a language collectively spoken?

I thought that the Greeks (in Greece) celebrate the Divine Liturgy in Byzantine Greek?Huh

I wouldn't be so sure that Latin is a dead language.  There are some "nuts" on the internet that have latin only discussions.  It could catch on!  Too bad I'm too lazy to knuckle down and learn the language well myself.  

I have no problem with masses in Latin for those who know Latin, but how many Americans do you know who speak Latin?  Most can't even speak proper English!  I’m not saying we should have an ebonics or a dialect driven liturgy, but lets at least have it in something were people know the words Smiley.

Latin is making a comeback in school--not just the Vulgate stuff either, Classical too.  It's about time!  You have just justified the use of ebonics and some forms of English that sounds like it came out of MTV!  How about a rap mass?  I went to a youth mass that had a rock band playing . . . darned near turned me into an SSPX'er!

One thing MOST people forget, the Fathers of Vatican II called for the preservation of Latin in the liturgy and the reinstitution of Gregorian Chant in the mass to be sung by the congregation.  Gregorian chant can be sung in English.  And most sheep in the pew can learn a few latin phrases of the "Et cum spiritu tuo" variety.  It's a matter of obedience.  One of the reforms Pope St. Pius X had left incomplete upon his death was the full re-institution of Gregorian Chant.  So what do we get instead?  David Hass music.  Horrible!

So I assert that AmChurch and the rest of the liberal ne'er do wells, especially those (Yccch! the word chokes in my throat as I say it!) "Liturgists"are in massive disobedience to Vatican II.  And having Latin in the liturgy doesn't mean that there is no English (which would be fine by me!) in the liturgy.

I mean is so very wrong to make the liturgy relevant to those who are participating?

Marie Antoinette said "Let them eat cake."  I say "let them eat a Latin-Engish missal!" Grin

When I think of the inanities in ICEL translations all I can say is "Hospodi, pomiluj!"

Jim
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2004, 10:03:12 PM »

JBC: but how moved by the spirit of God can a person be if they must keep track of where they are on the page - and on what page in the book?  Maybe it's because I take my faith very personally, but I like to pray and contemplate my Lord during the Liturgy.  I think what needs to be done is quite simple - find the balance. Smiley

Sanctus, Sanctus, Sanctus, D+¦minus Deus S+ábaoth Pleni sunt caeli et terra in gl+¦ria tua. Hos+ánna in exc+¿lsis  Benedictus qui venit  in n+¦mine D+¦mini. Hos+ánna in exc+¿lsis.

Pax et bonum.Smiley

Br. Max

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
MsGuided
Pharmakolytria
Elder

St. Anastasia

« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2004, 01:08:23 AM »

MOR: depends on who the "little Latin" is.  Wink

Implying what, exactly?  Tongue

"Forgive me that great love leads me to talking nonsense." Barsanuphius
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2004, 09:58:15 AM »

msG. - meaning that some "little latins" - Oscar D Lahoya hurt a few more people than your average  little latin Wink

TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2004, 10:52:57 AM »

Latin is making a comeback in school--not just the Vulgate stuff either, Classical too.  It's about time!

Yeah. I remember when I was in high school the vulgar latin was used by the egghead kids to insult each....er...umm... Oh! "VULGATE" Latin. Nevermind.  Grin
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2004, 12:01:46 PM »

I thought that the Greeks (in Greece) celebrate the Divine Liturgy in Byzantine Greek?Huh

I wouldn't be so sure that Latin is a dead language.  There are some "nuts" on the internet that have latin only discussions.  It could catch on!  Too bad I'm too lazy to knuckle down and learn the language well myself.    

The Greek Orthodox Church in Greece most certainly does celebrate the Divine Liturgy in Koine Greek, which is akin to the Slavs celebrating the DL in Slavonic and Italian RC traditionalists celebrating the Mass in Latin.  You can sort of follow along, but not quite.

Latin is a dead language because it is not the primary language taught to children anymore.  It's a language that one learns after one's "native tongue".

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2004, 03:06:28 PM »

Latin is a dead language because it is not the primary language taught to children anymore.  It's a language that one learns after one's "native tongue".

I want to learn Latin so that I can teach it to my children as their primary language.  ESL will have lots of fun with them!  Smiley

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: