OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 02:27:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Primer on Palamas and Barlaam...?  (Read 1910 times) Average Rating: 0
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« on: September 08, 2009, 01:01:53 PM »

Grace and Peace,

Is there any 'primer' on Barlaam and Palamas? I'm trying to understand on a more 'spiritual' level... ? Any help?

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 01:16:52 PM »

Best introduction to the Church Fathers on which Palamas and Barlaam depended is Norman Russell's The Doctrine of Deification in the Greek Patristic Tradition. In a lot of ways, Palamas and Barlaam were fighting over how to interpret Dionysius the Areopagite and St. Maximos the Confessor (with reference to the Cappadocians, of course).

Best introduction to the general topic of theosis, including essence/energies, is also by Norman Russell: Fellow Workers With God: Orthodox Thinking on Theosis.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 02:41:53 PM »

Best introduction to the Church Fathers on which Palamas and Barlaam depended is Norman Russell's The Doctrine of Deification in the Greek Patristic Tradition. In a lot of ways, Palamas and Barlaam were fighting over how to interpret Dionysius the Areopagite and St. Maximos the Confessor (with reference to the Cappadocians, of course).

That is a pretty pricy book. I have Jules Gross' book on the subject, does anyone recommend that one?

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 02:43:19 PM »

That is a pretty pricy book. I have Jules Gross' book on the subject, does anyone recommend that one?

If you can't afford the The Doctrine of Deification, the Fellow Workers With God book is usually sold at a very reasonable price (under $20, iirc).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 02:56:59 PM »

If you can't afford the The Doctrine of Deification, the Fellow Workers With God book is usually sold at a very reasonable price (under $20, iirc).

I sent an email to my Orthodox Parish Priest to see if he has it or knows if someone in the community has it. If not do you recommend The Divinization of the Christian According to the Greek Fathers by Jules Gross, Paul A. Onica, and Kerry S. Robichaux?

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 04:38:21 PM »

Haven't read it, so no, I can't recommend or otherwise comment on the book.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 04:49:47 PM »

Search ABEbooks.com for it.  There's a used one for under $10 there.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 05:00:13 PM »

Wow, I got it for 11.89! Thank you so much for the heads up!

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 05:18:09 PM »

Wow, I got it for 11.89! Thank you so much for the heads up!

No problem.  I make it a habit to check abebooks for anything and everything.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
David Carroll

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

Holy Ephraim, pray for us!

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 07:00:50 PM »

This has always been stumbling block for me as far as the EO Church goes.  In fact, at one point in my life, this was the single reason for making me almost join the OO Church (never mind the problem of the Nature(s) of Christ).

St. Gregory Palamas says that the Uncreated Light is the energy of God, while drawing a distinction between this and the essence of God.  Similarly, it is be the former that we are deified, the latter forever beyond us.

But how is this not di-theism?  Does this mean that from all of eternity, there was this split within the Godhead?  Or does this split exist only "economically" (i.e. is meaningful only within the context of man and his deification)?

To me, it sounds too muck like Neo-Platonism, with its never-ending series of demiurges, nouses, logoses, etc. which try to buffer God from his own creatures.  As if God was some sort of whimp who can't stand the presence of His very own creation.

Pray that God would deliver me from hatred and pride.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 09:38:16 PM »

This has always been stumbling block for me as far as the EO Church goes.  In fact, at one point in my life, this was the single reason for making me almost join the OO Church (never mind the problem of the Nature(s) of Christ).

St. Gregory Palamas says that the Uncreated Light is the energy of God, while drawing a distinction between this and the essence of God.  Similarly, it is be the former that we are deified, the latter forever beyond us.

But how is this not di-theism?  Does this mean that from all of eternity, there was this split within the Godhead?  Or does this split exist only "economically" (i.e. is meaningful only within the context of man and his deification)?

To me, it sounds too muck like Neo-Platonism, with its never-ending series of demiurges, nouses, logoses, etc. which try to buffer God from his own creatures.  As if God was some sort of whimp who can't stand the presence of His very own creation.
As Lossky says, the distinction of the Essence of God and His Energies is that God cannot be contained by His Essence such that He overflows in His Energies.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
David Carroll

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 10:52:32 PM »

Oh wow.  That totally makes sense.  (It sounds like I'm using a sarcastic voice, but I'm not.  I'm being serious.)

Thank you.

Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 09:47:21 AM »

Want to just read the book before buying it? Why not go to your public Library and ask that they get an Inter-Library Loan. They can get a Library (usually at a College ) that has it to lend it to them and then they check it out to you. I have done this several times with books that were too pricey or that I did not intend to continuously use. It is also a good way to preview something you may be willing to pay the price on if it is what you need.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
David Carroll

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 10:45:25 AM »

I just rely on that trusty ole wikipedia.  Unless, I really want some in-depth knowledge, then I buy a book. Cool

Chrissy

Faith: Orthodox catechumen
Jurisdiction: ACROD

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 06:51:43 PM »

I just rely on that trusty ole wikipedia.  Unless, I really want some in-depth knowledge, then I buy a book. Cool

That would be the economical thing to do. I have a bad habit of buying books faster than I can read them, which has gotten worse now that Orthodoxy's opened up another world of reading. Rooms seem so much more inviting with books in them.
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2010, 01:57:20 PM »

This has always been stumbling block for me as far as the EO Church goes.  In fact, at one point in my life, this was the single reason for making me almost join the OO Church (never mind the problem of the Nature(s) of Christ).

St. Gregory Palamas says that the Uncreated Light is the energy of God, while drawing a distinction between this and the essence of God.  Similarly, it is be the former that we are deified, the latter forever beyond us.

But how is this not di-theism?  Does this mean that from all of eternity, there was this split within the Godhead?  Or does this split exist only "economically" (i.e. is meaningful only within the context of man and his deification)?

To me, it sounds too muck like Neo-Platonism, with its never-ending series of demiurges, nouses, logoses, etc. which try to buffer God from his own creatures.  As if God was some sort of whimp who can't stand the presence of His very own creation.

Is not light simultaneously both a particle and a wave? And yet is it not also one? If this is true with light as well as some things in the quantum level of reality, then why can't God be both Essence & Energy simultaneously? Is not God both simultaneously Transcendent & Imminent?

Unlike Neo-Platonism, we believe God's Energies to permeate all things.....all creation...all matter. Infact, all things exist within God's Omni-Presence.

The western christian world is the one that doesn't want God to touch creation, and so they have a thing called "created grace" or created graces.

To be honest, I actually praise God that we(EO) have an Essence vs Energies distinction. It solves so many issues......so many problems.

ICXC NIKA
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 02:01:07 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2010, 09:02:47 PM »

There are actually a fair amount of OO who accept Palamism (despite the claim that supposedly the doctrine depends on the two natures of Christ).

I myself am an Anti-Chalcedonian who accepts the Palamite doctrines (particularly so given my Byzantine patrimony and my continuing respect for it).

I do not think it is a split. I think you could only view it as such if you viewed both as the substance of God. But they're not. The Essence is who God is in and of Himself. The Energies are what He does and emanates from Him. However, the Energies are viewed as inherent to the divine life.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
David Lanier

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South - OCA

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2010, 07:25:31 AM »

Diefication in Christ is another good book on the subject.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: