OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 12:41:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Russian priest and father of 18 children decorated with Orthodox order  (Read 903 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: September 08, 2009, 08:52:55 AM »

Dean of Orthodox churches in Rostov-on-Don Archpriest Ioann Osyak is decorated with the order of Sts Peter and Fevronia of Murom, heavenly protectors of family.

The 18th child has been recently born to his family. Now he has got ten daughters and eight sons, the Express-Gazeta has reported on Tuesday.

The priest’s wife spent several days in the hospital to have her lungs artificially ventilated, but now her life is not endangered.

Last year in Kremlin, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev awarded the Osyak family with the order of Parents Glory.

According to Fr. Ioann, his wife and he first planned to have two children, but now they are ready for the nineteenth baby.

Archpriest Nikolay Stremsky, Rector of the Holy Trinity Convent of Mercy in Saraktash village, brings up seventy children and his family is considered the biggest in Russia. He was earlier given St. Andrew the First-Called international prize For Faith and Devotion.

The country’s renowned religious leader Chief Rabbi of Russia Berel Lazar also has one of the biggest families: now his wife Hanna and he have got twelve children.
source

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Jake

Faith: Eastern orthodox

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 09:20:06 AM »

I think it is his wife, who gave birth to all those children, who should have received the order of Sts Peter and Fevronia of Murom, heavenly protectors of family.
observer
High Elder

Vivre die Raznitsa!

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 10:28:01 AM »

In the old days mothers with many kids were called heroes of the Soviet Union.  It was a blessing to have a large family

Thou shalt not prefer one thing to another (Law of Liberalism)
Pilgrim
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Holy Orthodoxy

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 11:30:08 PM »

Who gave the blessing then

Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth help us to walk the way of Life, which is Christ Jesus.

St. Cyril, St. Leo, and St. Severus pray that the Church may be united and one, Eastern and Oriental.St. Issac the Syrian, pray that Assyria would return to the Holy Church. St. Gregory, pray for Rom
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 11:43:18 PM »

I am glad that the Russian Church and government are encouraging large families. (Although such large families! Well, to each his/her own, as long as it is not forced on the wife).

You may have heard that Russia is on a steep population decline as the average life expectancy has plummeted and that the replacement rate (births/deaths) is far too low. Unfortunately, most former Soviet satellite states in Eastern Europe are in the same pickle (I think Greece is in the same bind but I am not sure). I just read the lamentation by a Serbian intellectual that Kosovo was lost by the Serbians aborting or not having enough children, while the Muslim minorities did neither. The Orthodox Church was also complicit in this, but I am glad that the hierarchs are trying to rectify this situation.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 12:23:19 AM »

The effects of communism are still being felt in Eastern Europe and Russia. It will take a long time to undo the damage by the atheist regimes.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 02:06:54 AM »

The effects of communism are still being felt in Eastern Europe and Russia. It will take a long time to undo the damage by the atheist regimes.

The birth rate reached it's lowest in the 1990s.  It will take a long time to under the damage of capitalist regimes. 
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: