OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 31, 2014, 12:22:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Faith / Works Righteousness versus Salvation as Synergy  (Read 5186 times) Average Rating: 0
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: September 08, 2009, 03:02:52 AM »

The ancient teaching (by the Orthodox and Roman Catholics) that salvation is a cooperative effort between God and man is obviously challenged by most Protestants, who separate regeneration into several stages: Justification, Sanctification, and Glorification.

Are there any books that actively engage the Protestant proof-texts from an Orthodox / Catholic perspective?  How are we to really understand what St. Paul speaks about when he discusses the works of the law and righteousness by faith and belief rather than by works?

Besides recommending publications or linking to articles, people are of course welcome to respond with their own answers in the thread.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 03:22:45 AM »

Are there any books that actively engage the Protestant proof-texts from an Orthodox / Catholic perspective?
Do you really want this discussion to be open to a [Roman] Catholic perspective, in addition to the Orthodox?
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 03:38:32 AM »

I guess not.  Let's just stick with the Orthodox position for now, but my assumption was that the positions are basically the same.
alexp4uni
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: kinda practicing theist
Jurisdiction: ecumenical kind

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 03:41:22 AM »

I guess not.  Let's just stick with the Orthodox position for now, but my assumption was that the positions are basically the same.
Are you asking for Lubeltri to respond to it. Cause I'll second that.
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 03:45:52 AM »

I wrote an article for OC.net a while back on this subject.  Perhaps it will help you.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=36:harmonious-salvation&catid=14:articles&Itemid=2

Peace,

David

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
GammaRay
The Awful Preacher
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

Alexandros Papadiamantis

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 08:28:56 AM »

Why do you Protestants keep on seeing good works and faith as two things seperated?
Instead of asking for an explanation about justification through works and Apostle Paul, why don't you find an explanation for James 2:14-24 and justification through faith alone?

I wonder if that "Sola Fide" thing would have emerged if it wasn't for Luther's forgery...

Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 08:46:07 AM »

Except for an individual like the thief on the cross, works are part of living salvation. Our savior sums this up in Luke 17:10 that works are required and that we are unworthy servants that must do them in Luke 17:10. Nowhere does St. Paul contradict this or St. James  especially when he himself reiterated that works worthy of salvation must be done (Acts 26:20) and that we are saved for good works (Ephesians 2:8-10). Before I became Orthodox this seemed to be a riddle and then seeing these scriptures, I realized it is not so difficult to figure out. Unfortunately, so much confusion seems to have resulted and amazingly so from sola scriptura theology. This is really not hard to figure out but ever so the challenge to live out the Christian life by and it is so sad that a chicken vs. egg riddle has developed over this.

Antiochian OC N.A.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: