OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 01:06:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: November end...  (Read 3728 times) Average Rating: 0
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« on: November 30, 2003, 03:42:22 PM »

Well, looks like tomorrow is the start of December, it seems Christmas is right around the corner.

I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving, with plenty to eat, even to those who were fasting Smiley

For the month of November, OC.net has set a new record, in its past 1.75 years of service. For November, we have had over 3300 new posts, along with over 136,000 hits. These hits just include people browsing the message board.

The month of December will probably have less action; it is the Christmas season after all, and people are busy doing their thing.  OC.net will be undergoing a board upgrade mid-month, which should add a bunch of new and fun features, along with enhancements of existing features.

Of course, if anyone has any personal requests as to things they would like to see implemented or fixed around, feel free to let me know either in this thread or by PM.

Thanks!
Bobby
« Last Edit: November 30, 2003, 03:42:46 PM by Mr. Turkey » Logged
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2003, 03:44:54 PM »

How about an Icon to identify people as Greek orthodox, Oriental Orthodx, Roman Catholic, Etc.

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2003, 03:46:29 PM »

That's a nifty idea. I will go and plot ahead with it.  Of course, I'm not sure if anyone would find it offensive.

Bobby
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2003, 03:50:07 PM »

OK let me see.

What groups would we want to add...

Undisclosed
None
Protestant
Roman Catholic
Eastern Catholic
Eastern Orthodox:
GOA
OCA
MP
JP
ROCOR
ROAC(?) Smiley
Antiochian
Oriental Orthodox:
Coptic
Indian
Syrian

An ymore?

Bobby

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2003, 03:50:11 PM »

Well you can't please all the people all the time, but it would give people a chance to identify with what they believe.

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2003, 03:51:44 PM »

and as the board grows and you start seeing more and more people coming in, it would help for people to be able to look at a newbie and see - hey JOE SCHMOE here is Coptic or Anglican, or whatever Smiley - I know it would make things easier for me!!

Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2003, 03:53:06 PM »

LOL yes, that is a good point.

OK it's a go then, I'll go ahead and start implementing it this week and hopefully have it ready for next release.

Thanks, Max!

Bobbbby
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2003, 03:53:16 PM »

how about OTHER Smiley

autocephalus,

Independant

conservative

etc

Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2003, 03:54:01 PM »

Oh, I think I got that stupid color bug fixed at the bottom, where it is SUPPOSED to display your name in the color of your rank (member, jr.member, etc.)

So finally we'll be color coded!

wooooooooop

Bobby
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2003, 03:54:03 PM »

You're quite welcome Bobby Smiley glad to be of help

Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2003, 03:54:36 PM »

I'm going to see if I can make this thread the only thread on the recent threads page. Smiley

Bobby
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2003, 03:55:08 PM »

OH - you better think about Jewish and mulsim icons too - you never know!

the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2003, 04:15:54 PM »

Vicki,

That is a brilliant idea - the link I mean.

Not sure about the idea of a label [ be it an icons or what] saying what persuasion we are .

The possibility is there for us to put it in our Biog or personal statement if we so wish.

People who register and come on as  seekers may not wish to be visually identifiable.

And of course we then have Br Max - now what label would you give him ?

There's more than 1 person on this Board whose canonical label is not quite Rite Wink

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2003, 04:23:09 PM »

slave: call me - OTHER Wink

and how about a seeker Icon and he did allow for undeclared Smiley

the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2003, 04:28:21 PM »

Sorry - still don't think it's a good idea even if you do admit to "Other"

We might as well have "lopsided" which would identify me for some folk.

Sorry I just don't like it

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2003, 04:47:59 PM »

So you go with undeclared - or undisclosed

Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2003, 07:57:57 PM »

Vicki,

I already fixed the "hidden" bug in the next release. So that is off the list.

As far as the location thing goes, I can link it to the member map, but sometimes the person's location differs from their location on the member map thus causing slight problems. But I will see what kind of system I can put together.

I guess I'll just have a poll as to whether or not people want the "religious identity" system implemented.

Thanks!
Bobby
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2003, 09:52:25 PM »

OK let me see.

What groups would we want to add...

Undisclosed
None
Protestant
Roman Catholic
Eastern Catholic
Eastern Orthodox:
GOA
OCA
MP
JP
ROCOR
ROAC(?) Smiley
Antiochian
Oriental Orthodox:
Coptic
Indian
Syrian

An ymore?

Bobby

Sure, Bobby,

Under EO:
ACROD (slight bias)
JP
Serbian
Romanian (there are two)
{There are more jurisdictions; are we just thinking North American here?}

Under Oriental:
Armenian (hope one joins the forum and participates)

Under RC:
There are 22 churches in the Roman communion - I defer to them)

and FINALLY:

"Don't Know"

Smiley Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2003, 10:08:56 PM »

Bobby: so where's the poll?  You have to post a poll if you want us to vote on it Wink

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2003, 10:19:22 PM »

Would it be possible to fix it so that when one wishes to change avatars they get sized automatically to fit this site's requirements?

I am a computer dummy. It seems that whenever I wish to switch avatars I get the response, "the picture is too big" (or something that means the same thing).

I guess I could learn how to cut my pics down, but it would be nice if that could be done automatically somehow when switching avatars.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2003, 10:20:00 PM by Linus7 » Logged

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2003, 10:21:05 PM »

linus: you can always email them to me.  I'd do it for you - free of charge even Wink

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2003, 10:24:16 PM »

linus: you can always email them to me.  I'd do it for you - free of charge even Wink

Thanks, bro.

I may take you up on it; or I may just have to break down and learn how to do it myself.  Tongue

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2003, 10:34:43 PM »

linus: it's not hard really - you just need the right software Smiley  I use paint shop pro 7.  It has a resize function that allowes me to set exactly what size I want the pic to be in inches or in pixels.

Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2003, 10:48:55 PM »

How's about fixing the shoutbox!?
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2003, 11:21:27 PM »

Linus: Fixed.
Frobisher: Fixed.

Poll...about to come.
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2003, 11:22:28 PM »

go bobby go bobby GO BOBBY!

um . . . whats a shoutbox?

Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2003, 11:23:31 PM »

The thing on the bottom, you can type in text for others to see. Pure novelty. You can enable it in your profile. There should be a checkbox for "Enable Shoutbox"

Bobby
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2003, 11:30:54 PM »

like a chat function?

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2003, 11:53:29 PM »

Poll...about to come.

-ü-+-¦-ü-+-î-+!

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2003, 12:03:43 AM »

I'm in if there is a spot for a Traditional Roman Catholic in FLUX box.

james

(coughing from my last respiratory therapy) no, I did'nt get it from Hypo.

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2003, 12:13:37 AM »

Poll...about to come.

-ü-+-¦-ü-+-î-+!
uh oh.  Looks like the language filter is broke!

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2003, 12:37:44 AM »

I'd rather have translator microbs Sad

David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2003, 10:39:58 AM »

How's about fixing the member map so that half the people aren't listed as being in Africa? Smiley

Also, perhaps it might be good if a member could select their own flag.  This does two things: 1. People who don't list their location on their profile can at least put what country they're in. and 2. Those of us who live in one country yet identify themselves with another can use that flag instead.

I liked the feature that listed who was in the chat room...was there a problem with that?

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: