OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 11:49:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Best of H.H. Pope Shenoudah  (Read 1216 times) Average Rating: 0
Pilgrim
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Holy Orthodoxy

« on: September 07, 2009, 11:53:41 PM »

what are your favorite works by him. I'm trying to figure out which to read first.

Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth help us to walk the way of Life, which is Christ Jesus.

St. Cyril, St. Leo, and St. Severus pray that the Church may be united and one, Eastern and Oriental.St. Issac the Syrian, pray that Assyria would return to the Holy Church. St. Gregory, pray for Rom
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 12:07:48 AM »

Being With God

It's an amazing book.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 01:21:48 AM »

Can I tell you what to avoid?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 01:41:28 AM »

Can I tell you what to avoid?

Go for it.
coptickev

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 01:20:46 PM »

what are your favorite works by him. I'm trying to figure out which to read first.
"The Life of Thanksgiving". It puts everything in perspective.
HaileAmanuel
HaileAmanuel [Amanuel is my Power]

Faith: Coptic/Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahido Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahido/Non-Chalcedonian

He that is greatest among you will be your servant

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 09:57:29 PM »

Dear Brothers!

I am so sorry that I haven't read or posted in months, and all of a sudden, I am jumping in on this HH Pope Shenouda III thread.  While I'm here, let me put in my $0.02 (if you will). 

Obviously, I think that all of the books by His Holiness (the ones that I have read) are phenomenal, but the book titled LOVE: The Summit of all Virtues is the epitome for me, right now.  PRIESTHOOD and the HERESY OF SALVATION IN A MOMENT are also great reads; I can go on and on...

Lastly, have any of my brothers read HAVE YOU SEEN THE ONE THAT I LOVE?  I believe that it is HH Pope Shenouda's latest book.

Please take care and Happy Coptic/Ethiopian New Year!

haileamanuel

'He who is greatest among you, will be your servant [St. Matthew 23:11].'
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 10:07:05 PM »

Happy New Year!

It's nice to hear from you again!

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 10:42:28 PM »

Well, I would say avoid The Nature of Christ. Most of it is overly simplistic and boring, and the last part of the book on the will of Christ appeared even to suggest a heretical Monothelitism.

Also, I would avoid Homosexuality and the Ordination of Women. I read it and it seemed to go so far into the conservative wing of thought on this matter as to even become hateful.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
HaileAmanuel

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 09:05:38 PM »

Selam Salpy,

Thank you!  How are you?  May our Lord, God and Savior Jesus Christ be with you always and the intercession of our Lady, the Holy Virgin Mary--Mother of God, along with the intercession of the saints be with you always...

Sincerely,

haileamanuel

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 09:31:26 PM »

Most of it is overly simplistic

Pretty much all of the Pope's books that I've read are written very simply, and feel more like a set of short bullet-points. I find that I get a lot more out of his books when I approach them in that way (a set of short points) rather than trying to read them as a continuous narrative. But I agree with you in that I find that kind of format tends to work better for spiritual instruction (which most of his books are) than for theological stuff, especially a topic so complicated and nuanced as the christological controversy.
HaileAmanuel

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 09:47:24 PM »

Well, I would say avoid The Nature of Christ. Most of it is overly simplistic and boring, and the last part of the book on the will of Christ appeared even to suggest a heretical Monothelitism.

Peace my brother,

I have to disagree with both of your statements in their entirety.  Most, if not all of His Holiness Pope Shenouda's books are simplified for a simple reason: in order that laypersons can understand the Holy Bible and Christianity in a similar fashion of how the Church Fathers taught. 

How many wills does our Lord, God and Savior Jesus Christ have?  HH Pope Shenouda is as Orthodox as St. Cyril...there is nothing heretical or anything that suggests heresy in any of His Holiness' writings. 

Also, I would avoid Homosexuality and the Ordination of Women. I read it and it seemed to go so far into the conservative wing of thought on this matter as to even become hateful.

What Biblical verses or even ideas compromise with homosexuality and the ordination of woman?  His Holiness in his series THE TEN COMMANDMENTSS, addresses other sins such as audltery, murder, idolatry, theft and so forth...how do you feel about the Pope's usage of Biblical references to these subjects (if you are familiar with that series of books)?

*Sorry, my reply to your quotes are intermingled

Peace to you,

hailamanuel

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 09:54:13 PM »

HaileAmanuel,

May Our Lord and the intercession of His Holy Mother be with you also!   Smiley

Orthodox11,

I agree with your assessment of His Holiness' books.  They are simple because they are intended for laypersons, like myself, who have no theological background.  That is why I like them so much.  Trying to make more out of his books can be a mistake.  I think that may be at the root of Deusveritasest's problems with them.

Pilgrim
Elder

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 12:34:33 AM »

Thanks everyone!

Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth help us to walk the way of Life, which is Christ Jesus.

St. Cyril, St. Leo, and St. Severus pray that the Church may be united and one, Eastern and Oriental.St. Issac the Syrian, pray that Assyria would return to the Holy Church. St. Gregory, pray for Rom
Pilgrim
Elder

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 07:39:44 PM »

Could you be more specific? How is the first one suggesting monothelitism and the second too conservative?

Tags: Pope Shenouda Coptic Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: