OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 26, 2014, 01:42:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whey protein powder during fast?  (Read 3957 times) Average Rating: 0
android

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GO Archdiocese of America- Southeast US

« on: October 06, 2009, 09:54:39 PM »

Hello. I was wondering if whey protein powder was acceptable during a fast period. My apologies if this question has been asked before.  Whey is derived from dairy, but I'm not sure if that entirely disqualifies it.  I exercise/lift weights so getting enough quality protein is an issue during a fast  (not going to get into it but I'm not a fan of beans as a food option).

Thanks.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 10:18:59 PM »

Hello. I was wondering if whey protein powder was acceptable during a fast period. My apologies if this question has been asked before.  Whey is derived from dairy, but I'm not sure if that entirely disqualifies it.  I exercise/lift weights so getting enough quality protein is an issue during a fast  (not going to get into it but I'm not a fan of beans as a food option).

Thanks.

When I was lifting weights, I also drank a lot of whey protein powder drinks.  When I asked my priest's permission, he said that it wasn't an acceptable substitute since it contains dairy (and on fasting days I didn't really 'need' to lift weights).  Have you tried soy beans?  They usually don't affect us the way other legumes do.  Wink

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Tamara
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 11:47:49 PM »

Quinoa is a seed which cooks up like rice (15 min.) and is a complete protein like a steak
for pennies a cup. It has a light, fluffy consistancy and a slightly nutty flavor. It is very good.  Wink

Breakfast: I cook up Quinoa flakes 1/3 cup with either a cup of water or milk for 2.5 minutes in the microwave. Add a mashed or whipped up ripe banana, cinnamon, ginger, vanilla or favorite flavoring for a breakfast that keeps you going all morning.

Lunch: I use the cooked Quinoa seeds instead of burglar wheat in my tabouli and eat that for lunch. I like it better than the burglar wheat because it has a softer, lighter texture.

Dinner: In the winter time I will add it in a tomato, spinach, and onion sauce for another filling meal. It can be used as a side like rice or you can top it with your favorite mixture of stews, veggies or sauces.

Check it out: 

http://www.peertrainer.com/DFcaloriecounterB.aspx?id=5912

A recently rediscovered ancient "grain" native to Central America,quinoa was once called "the gold of the Incas," who recognized its value in increasing the stamina of their warriors. Not only is quinoa high in protein, but the protein it supplies is complete protein, meaning that it includes all nine essential amino acids. Not only is quinoa's amino acid profile well balanced, making it a good choice for vegans concerned about adequate protein intake, but quinoa is especially well-endowed with the amino acid lysine, which is essential for tissue growth and repair. In addition to protein, quinoa features a host of other health-building nutrients. Because quinoa is a very good source of manganese as well as a good source of magnesium, iron, copper and phosphorous, this "grain" may be especially valuable for persons with migraine headaches, diabetes and atherosclerosis.
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 12:07:16 AM »

My dear sister Tamara,

Your post is a godsend to me as well-I am in dire need of protein as i recuperate from surgery etc. Your post has been so helpful. I didn't know that about quinoa and even have it in the cupboard. Many, many thanks, and to the OP who helped us learn!!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Tamara
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 12:36:16 AM »

My dear sister Tamara,

Your post is a godsend to me as well-I am in dire need of protein as i recuperate from surgery etc. Your post has been so helpful. I didn't know that about quinoa and even have it in the cupboard. Many, many thanks, and to the OP who helped us learn!!

Dear Rosehip,

I am so glad it will help you! Please pm me if you have any questions about cooking it or finding it.
I have been eating it every day since the summer and I feel great. Smiley

love, Tamara
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 12:38:06 AM by Tamara » Logged
Paisius
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Scheherazade

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 12:45:43 AM »

Thanks.

I would advise you to talk to your spiritual father, he is far better qualified than any of us to give you direction.

(but of course I'm gonna give you my opinion anyway  Wink)

To be honest it seems to me not allowing a protein powder seems a bit legalistic. As my spiritual father says, according to the letter of the law it's perfectly acceptable during fast days to eat a very expensive lobster dinner and wash it down with a shot of whiskey. That is following the letter and not the spirit and it does us no good. Seems to me drinking a protein shake is well within the spirit of the fast.

Yours in Christ
Joe

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frédéric Bastiat
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 12:55:02 AM »

Thanks.

I would advise you to talk to your spiritual father, he is far better qualified than any of us to give you direction.

To be honest it seems to me not allowing a protein powder seems a bit legalistic. As my spiritual father says, according to the letter of the law it's perfectly acceptable during fast days to eat a very expensive lobster dinner and wash it down with a shot of whiskey. That is following the letter and not the spirit and it does us no good. Seems to me drinking a protein shake is well within the spirit of the fast.

Yours in Christ
Joe

^^Good advice. As I'm highly allergic to soy, so my priest has allowed whey protein shakes during the long fasts. But, as Paisius said, you need to talk to your spiritual father and work it out with him. 

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 12:57:05 AM »

Quinoa is a seed which cooks up like rice (15 min.) and is a complete protein like a steak
for pennies a cup. It has a light, fluffy consistancy and a slightly nutty flavor. It is very good.  Wink

Breakfast: I cook up Quinoa flakes 1/3 cup with either a cup of water or milk for 2.5 minutes in the microwave. Add a mashed or whipped up ripe banana, cinnamon, ginger, vanilla or favorite flavoring for a breakfast that keeps you going all morning.

Lunch: I use the cooked Quinoa seeds instead of burglar wheat in my tabouli and eat that for lunch. I like it better than the burglar wheat because it has a softer, lighter texture.

Dinner: In the winter time I will add it in a tomato, spinach, and onion sauce for another filling meal. It can be used as a side like rice or you can top it with your favorite mixture of stews, veggies or sauces.

Check it out: 

http://www.peertrainer.com/DFcaloriecounterB.aspx?id=5912

A recently rediscovered ancient "grain" native to Central America,quinoa was once called "the gold of the Incas," who recognized its value in increasing the stamina of their warriors. Not only is quinoa high in protein, but the protein it supplies is complete protein, meaning that it includes all nine essential amino acids. Not only is quinoa's amino acid profile well balanced, making it a good choice for vegans concerned about adequate protein intake, but quinoa is especially well-endowed with the amino acid lysine, which is essential for tissue growth and repair. In addition to protein, quinoa features a host of other health-building nutrients. Because quinoa is a very good source of manganese as well as a good source of magnesium, iron, copper and phosphorous, this "grain" may be especially valuable for persons with migraine headaches, diabetes and atherosclerosis.

How interesting. I had never heard of this. Thanks for that info, Tamara. I'm going to look into this.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

android

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 12:57:55 AM »

Thanks.

When I was lifting weights, I also drank a lot of whey protein powder drinks.  When I asked my priest's permission, he said that it wasn't an acceptable substitute since it contains dairy (and on fasting days I didn't really 'need' to lift weights).  Have you tried soy beans?  They usually don't affect us the way other legumes do.  Wink

Soy is VERY bad for males and has all sorts of negative hormonal consequences...so I avoid it if at all possible regardless of whether it is a fast day or not. Thanks though.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 01:10:15 AM »

Thanks.

Soy is VERY bad for males and has all sorts of negative hormonal consequences...so I avoid it if at all possible regardless of whether it is a fast day or not. Thanks though.

I don't think there's been any conclusive evidence against soy products being bad for either sex.  In fact, I think East Asian cultures (of which soy makes a sizable contribution towards their dietary intake) are extremely healthy.  Is this something you know for a fact?  I'd have to see some valid medical evidence. 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
android

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 01:29:07 AM »

Thanks.

I don't think there's been any conclusive evidence against soy products being bad for either sex.  In fact, I think East Asian cultures (of which soy makes a sizable contribution towards their dietary intake) are extremely healthy.  Is this something you know for a fact?  I'd have to see some valid medical evidence. 

Unfortunately I can't give you Mayo Clinic or Pubmed link on it, but most everything I've read by sources I trust (which is all it comes down to-- you can find support for anything on the internet) recommends males not to consume it due to its estrogenic effects which can present a host of issues for men (obviously).  However, I believe Asian males may have adapted to it though since it has been in their diet so long, so it's probably fine for them and even beneficial as it relates to prostrate cancer risk (as one pubmed meta-analysis concluded), but even that is largely the result of the lowered T and increased E in those men (which can prevent a prostate from growing, but at what cost? Wink ). Soy does not appear in abundance in nature.  Due to the confusion over it and the fact that I'm not an Asian male, avoiding it when possible seems to me to be the "neutral" approach (even if I'm wrong I don't miss out on any irrefutable health benefits I can't get from an otherwise healthy diet).

Here are some links:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/7842.php#

http://www.menshealth.com/bestfoods/food_features/Is_This_the_Most_Dangerous_Food_for_Men.php#

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7519459.stm

« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 01:29:58 AM by android » Logged
android

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 01:35:01 AM »

Thanks.

Yours in Christ
Joe

Thank you Joe. I should just consult w/ my spiritual father (I need to find one actually). I don't want to be legalistic but I don't want to be licentious either. The best thing is to seek direction from a discerning spiritual father. Thanks.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 02:34:04 AM »

Thanks.

Unfortunately I can't give you Mayo Clinic or Pubmed link on it, but most everything I've read by sources I trust (which is all it comes down to-- you can find support for anything on the internet) recommends males not to consume it due to its estrogenic effects which can present a host of issues for men (obviously).  However, I believe Asian males may have adapted to it though since it has been in their diet so long, so it's probably fine for them and even beneficial as it relates to prostrate cancer risk (as one pubmed meta-analysis concluded), but even that is largely the result of the lowered T and increased E in those men (which can prevent a prostate from growing, but at what cost? Wink ). Soy does not appear in abundance in nature.  Due to the confusion over it and the fact that I'm not an Asian male, avoiding it when possible seems to me to be the "neutral" approach (even if I'm wrong I don't miss out on any irrefutable health benefits I can't get from an otherwise healthy diet).

Here are some links:

http://www.menshealth.com/bestfoods/food_features/Is_This_the_Most_Dangerous_Food_for_Men.php#

Thank you for the links, friend.  I hope I didn't come off as rude when I asked for clarification.  Undecided

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 02:55:56 AM »

Thanks.

There is mounting evidence of the damage caused by raw soy; even environmentally with the effects of the higher estrogen levels in sewage affecting the gender of fish. The difference with Asian cultures is that they use fermented soy, such as misso, natto and tempeh. Fermented soy products are typically not associated with many of the problems caused by soy as milk, flour, or a protein addititive and are reasonable to include in a diet; not that I risk it with my nasty allergy! Wink

In addition, soy formula is apparently one of the worst possible foods one can give to an infant, as it will expose the child to high levels of hormones that can have a negative impact in their development.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 03:29:15 AM »

Thanks.

There is mounting evidence of the damage caused by raw soy; even environmentally with the effects of the higher estrogen levels in sewage affecting the gender of fish. The difference with Asian cultures is that they use fermented soy, such as misso, natto and tempeh. Fermented soy products are typically not associated with many of the problems caused by soy as milk, flour, or a protein addititive and are reasonable to include in a diet; not that I risk it with my nasty allergy! Wink

In addition, soy formula is apparently one of the worst possible foods one can give to an infant, as it will expose the child to high levels of hormones that can have a negative impact in their development.

Interesting.  I eat tofu from time to time; is that considered raw?  And I have a great tempeh recipe I learned from my ex-wife who is from Indonesia.  It's amazing when cooked with kecap (thick, sweet soy sauce) and chili's.  I don't eat as much soy products as it sounds like, but maybe I should cut down what I do eat.  I never cared much for soy milk, but I do like edamame and tofu.

Thanks for the heads up, y'all! Smiley

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 03:39:40 AM »

Gabriel,

Tofu is unfermented; made by curdling fresh hot soymilk with a coagulant. Tempeh is made by fermenting cooked soybeans with a mould. From the knowledge I have, which is rather limited, Tempeh should be your first choice.

android

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 12:32:31 PM »

Thanks.

Here are some links:

Thank you for the links, friend.  I hope I didn't come off as rude when I asked for clarification.  Undecided

You didn't at all! No worries. It is an oft-debated topic.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 12:53:16 PM »

Ahhhh....well.....now it all makes sense!  I was a premature baby and could not tolerate mom's milk well.  She had to supplement it with soy milk.

Now I realize why I turned out the way I did.

Wink

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2009, 12:57:38 PM »

Ahhhh....well.....now it all makes sense!  I was a premature baby and could not tolerate mom's milk well.  She had to supplement it with soy milk.

Wink

Well, if I may-  if you're the result of having soy milk as a youngster, we should all give our youngsters soy milk.  Kind, thoughtful, polite and intelligent; I'm not seeing the downside.  Smiley

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2009, 12:59:50 PM »

Wink  ...you are too kind!

Thanks for brightening my day!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2009, 07:24:42 PM »

Wink

laugh Clearly, Liza, you are one of the lucky ones that weren't negatively affected. If you have been a male child, the outcome might have been an issue. Wink

Tags: fasting protein 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: