OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 20, 2014, 05:09:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I do this??  (Read 776 times) Average Rating: 0
Kricket_tempe09

Faith: On the road to becoming Orhtodox

« on: October 06, 2009, 01:41:42 PM »

I have a friend that does not believe in God.  She sometimes makes fun of Christians saying that they are weak minded and easily believe and trust. This is because they believe what they read in the Bible with out proof, i.e. faith.   She has asked questions about God in the past, but we are never able to stay serious about the subject because she finds it so contrary to the way she thinks. 

She thinks to trust anyone is a weakness.  That if you are foolish enough to trust someone then you will always get hurt or taken advantage of.  I realize this is a deep issue of hers and I may not be able to help her as long as she has this issue stuck in her brain.  I have given her “God’s Kingdom” by Fr. Peter E. Gillquist and she has read it through a couple of times.  She seems to be treating it as something to study as if she is in school and the point of the article is being passed over.

I should explain that she has great trouble understanding concepts and word that are more than a fifth grade level.  I am continuing to try and explain things to her, but I feel if I am failing miserably. 

I first off do not want to do a disservice to the beliefs of the Orthodox Christian Faith, but I need a real simple way of just explaining the concept of God to her before I can move on to deeper discussion.

I know I can’t force her to believe and that is not my goal, but as long as she is asking questions I want to be able to answer them in the clearest and accurate way possible.

If any of you know of any Orthodox resources that are very simple…say for a pre-teen mentality it would be of great help.

Also keep her (Michelle) and me in prayer.

In Christ,
Kricket
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 01:42:17 PM by Kricket_tempe09 » Logged

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 02:15:22 PM »

Lord have Mercy.
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 03:34:36 PM »

She thinks to trust anyone is a weakness.  That if you are foolish enough to trust someone then you will always get hurt or taken advantage of.  I realize this is a deep issue of hers and I may not be able to help her as long as she has this issue stuck in her brain.

I commend your efforts.  You are correct, until she lets down her guard, and deals with her psychological and spiritual issues, then it is an uphill battle.   Her guard is up even against God, since trust is bad to her, and the core of faith is trust in God.   So, until she will let God in, the rest will bear little fruit.  But you are doing the right thing, because even if it will not bear fruit now, it may at some point once she is willing to let God tear down the barrier she created.  I think that what you gave her was a good step.   
ms.hoorah
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 05:10:28 PM »

“Acquire the spirit of peace and a thousand souls around you shall be saved,” St. Seraphim of Sarov. 

Live a life that is pleasing to God. Show her with your actions that Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life.

From a wise godmother: "If the Orthodox always acted "Orthodox", our churches would be overflowing."

Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 05:33:03 PM »

I have the same problem. Every single person I know in real life (excluding some great people I "virtually" know from this Web forum and my priest and at least some of my fellow parishioners) is a non-believer in God, and whatever I do or say makes them, as far as I can see, even more convinced in their unbelief and in my stupidity, backwardness, lack of appreciation of modernity, progress, science, freedom, human spirit, humanistic values etc.

I do not have any answers...

Love never fails.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 06:27:03 PM »

“Acquire the spirit of peace and a thousand souls around you shall be saved,” St. Seraphim of Sarov. 
I love St. Seraphim.  Smiley

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Paisius
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Scheherazade

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 06:35:05 PM »

even more convinced in their unbelief and in my stupidity, backwardness, lack of appreciation of modernity, progress, science, freedom, human spirit, humanistic values etc.

I do not have any answers...

The devil is so cunning and subtle in the ways he deceives humanity. The greatest tragedy is the freedom the world celebrates is not freedom at all.  Cry

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frédéric Bastiat
android

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GO Archdiocese of America- Southeast US

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 09:33:14 PM »

I love St. Seraphim.  Smiley

+1 on that. In less delicate/eloquent terms, no amount of logic, persuasion, rhetoric, argumentation or discussion bears greater witness than your actions.

Forgive me for being presumptuous, but remember not to be proudly pious or "obvious" by making grand displays or appearing self-conscious about it (although of course be vigilant and intentional with what you do). In my experience, it is the humility and quiet grace and faith that screams the loudest.

Also, pray for them. That is the greatest thing you can do for a person....let the spirit fill in the sizable gap for you.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 05:38:18 AM »

I have a friend that does not believe in God.  She sometimes makes fun of Christians saying that they are weak minded and easily believe and trust. This is because they believe what they read in the Bible with out proof, i.e. faith.   She has asked questions about God in the past, but we are never able to stay serious about the subject because she finds it so contrary to the way she thinks. 

She thinks to trust anyone is a weakness.  That if you are foolish enough to trust someone then you will always get hurt or taken advantage of.  I realize this is a deep issue of hers and I may not be able to help her as long as she has this issue stuck in her brain.  I have given her “God’s Kingdom” by Fr. Peter E. Gillquist and she has read it through a couple of times.  She seems to be treating it as something to study as if she is in school and the point of the article is being passed over.

I should explain that she has great trouble understanding concepts and word that are more than a fifth grade level.  I am continuing to try and explain things to her, but I feel if I am failing miserably. 

I first off do not want to do a disservice to the beliefs of the Orthodox Christian Faith, but I need a real simple way of just explaining the concept of God to her before I can move on to deeper discussion.

I know I can’t force her to believe and that is not my goal, but as long as she is asking questions I want to be able to answer them in the clearest and accurate way possible.

If any of you know of any Orthodox resources that are very simple…say for a pre-teen mentality it would be of great help.

Also keep her (Michelle) and me in prayer.

In Christ,
Kricket

Pray the Akathist to the Mother of God for her. Continue to show her Christ in all your words and actions. I honestly believe that trying to explain a concept to someone who doesn't wish to be convinced merely provides fuel for pointless debate and ultimately pushes them further away.

Lord, have mercy on Michelle and her friend, Kricket.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 09:08:14 AM »

I honestly believe that trying to explain a concept to someone who doesn't wish to be convinced merely provides fuel for pointless debate and ultimately pushes them further away.

Perhaps you are right... and perhaps that's exactly what I was doing to a lot of people - pushing them farther away (in real life conversations and on Facebook, and maybe also on this forum)... I stopped putting Orthodox prayers in my first-thing-in-the-morning FB messages, because I am just so tired from being screamed at. But, on the other hand, it's killing me that I feel like losing, giving up.

Love never fails.
Tags: apologetics 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: