OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 07:17:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you annoyed by evangelists?  (Read 8637 times) Average Rating: 0
Super Apostolic Bros.
Is St. Andrew Luigi to St. Peter's Mario?

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2009, 01:05:01 PM »

Am I annoyed by evangelists?

Short answer: No.

More detailed answer: My mother and her family were born and raised in the Philippines and were ministered to by American Protestant missionaries. Mother always spoke of them in the most positive light, because truly without them she (and probably I) would be worse off than we are now. I believe, having had the opportunity to meet some of them, that they worked out of a genuine fear of the Lord and a genuine love for people.

Fast Forward to March 2009

I was in an anime convention (because I am a nerd) and I saw a group of "evangelists" who were holding provocative signs such as "Turn to Jesus or Burn in Hell." It was clear to me that they were not simply interested in spreading the Gospel but breathing down the necks of "unChristian looking" people. I tried to rebuke them using Scripture but they accused me of not knowing Scripture. Those idiots.

What also annoys me is the assumption by many Protestants that Catholics and Orthodox follow a dead traditionalism that isn't genuine. I wonder then why people like Francis Beckwith or Peter Gillquist turn in their genuine faith for "dead traditionalism."
GammaRay
The Awful Preacher
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

Alexandros Papadiamantis

« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2009, 05:37:49 PM »

My mother and her family were born and raised in the Philippines and were ministered to by American Protestant missionaries. Mother always spoke of them in the most positive light, because truly without them she (and probably I) would be worse off than we are now. I believe, having had the opportunity to meet some of them, that they worked out of a genuine fear of the Lord and a genuine love for people.
I'm not annoyed by good people either. Smiley

I was in an anime convention (because I am a nerd) and I saw a group of "evangelists" who were holding provocative signs such as "Turn to Jesus or Burn in Hell." It was clear to me that they were not simply interested in spreading the Gospel but breathing down the necks of "unChristian looking" people. I tried to rebuke them using Scripture but they accused me of not knowing Scripture. Those idiots.
Lol, I'd love to see that. Cheesy

Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2009, 12:59:03 AM »

I like watching the evangelists on TV. It's interesting to see how different people believe radically different things, sometimes even based on the same information. The only ones who annoy me are the ones that bilk people out of their money, claiming cures and miracles and blessings in exchange for "love offerings".

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2009, 01:58:46 AM »

I like watching the evangelists on TV. It's interesting to see how different people believe radically different things, sometimes even based on the same information. The only ones who annoy me are the ones that bilk people out of their money, claiming cures and miracles and blessings in exchange for "love offerings".

Sow that seed!
Super Apostolic Bros.
Is St. Andrew Luigi to St. Peter's Mario?

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2009, 02:03:50 AM »

Modern day disciples of Simon the Sorcerer, though in reverse.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2009, 02:22:01 AM »

No.  It's good to have fundamental Christians articulating the Gospel to this society, which so lacks Christian spirituality, even though they do not proclaim the fullness of the faith that Orthodoxy processes.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2009, 02:37:29 AM »

No.  It's good to have fundamental Christians articulating the Gospel to this society, which so lacks Christian spirituality, even though they do not proclaim the fullness of the faith that Orthodoxy processes.
How does Orthodoxy process the faith? Huh
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 02:37:40 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2009, 02:47:05 AM »

How does Orthodoxy process the faith? Huh

Based on the context, I believe Basil intended to say possesses although he can clarify that himself.   Smiley
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2009, 03:00:12 AM »

Thank you SolEx01 for comprehending my error.  What you noted was my intention to have written.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2009, 03:43:38 AM »

I've encountered this attitude from plenty of people, ... asking me if I'm prepared to take Jesus Christ as my Personal Saviour? (Answer: No, I'm not so selfish as to pretend Christ is 'my Personal Saviour', and I suspect He is the Saviour whether I want Him to be or not).

Well said, Liz! Smiley

Well let's be careful here. While evangelicals pervert the concept of a personal relationship with Christ, the idea in itself is not unOrthodox. The point is that our relationship with Christ is not individualistic and exclusive; it is both personal and corporate, finding its expression and fulfillment in and through the Church.

Selam

I think that this exclusivity is highly emphasized today. The idea that one can "have a relationship" with Christ, the head of the body,  while having little or no involvement with the rest of the body is very un-Christian indeed.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2009, 04:48:43 AM »

I used to soak up evangelical preaching and teaching on the radio. I loved to listen to R.C. Sproul, J. Vernon McGhee, Charles Stanley, Chuck Swindoll, John MacArthur, David Jeremiah, and others. When I first became Orthodox, I still listened to these people for a while. But I soon realized that I would never understand Orthodoxy unless I "de-programmed" myself from evangelical errors.

By the grace of God, I have met Orthodox friends online who have generously sent me CD's of Orthodox sermons and Liturgies. These resources have been a real blessing to me.

Selam 

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2009, 11:33:47 AM »

I used to soak up evangelical preaching and teaching on the radio. I loved to listen to R.C. Sproul, J. Vernon McGhee, Charles Stanley, Chuck Swindoll, John MacArthur, David Jeremiah, and others. When I first became Orthodox, I still listened to these people for a while. But I soon realized that I would never understand Orthodoxy unless I "de-programmed" myself from evangelical errors.

By the grace of God, I have met Orthodox friends online who have generously sent me CD's of Orthodox sermons and Liturgies. These resources have been a real blessing to me.

Selam 
I think that R.C. Sproul is one fo the most intelligent of these men.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 11:33:58 AM by Papist » Logged

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
sprtslvr1973
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA; Jurisdiaction of Dallas and the South

"Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20

« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2009, 08:01:01 PM »

I wonder then why people like Francis Beckwith or Peter Gillquist turn in their genuine faith for "dead traditionalism."

Don't you know that those guys could not have been Christians in the first place  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 08:09:48 PM by sprtslvr1973 » Logged

"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2013, 06:08:29 PM »

Depends on the preacher. Some of them are genuinely faithful and honestly just ignorant of the Truth, these ones I don't really mind and they usually actually enjoy dialogue with the Orthodox. I met a guy like this at the mall once--some old veteran who was preaching. I told him about Orthodoxy and he accepted what I said. But then you have others that are ignorant out of malice, think everyone else is going to western Hell and hate anything RC/EO.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
PeterTheAleut
Protospatharios

« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2013, 03:03:20 AM »

Depends on the preacher. Some of them are genuinely faithful and honestly just ignorant of the Truth, these ones I don't really mind and they usually actually enjoy dialogue with the Orthodox. I met a guy like this at the mall once--some old veteran who was preaching. I told him about Orthodoxy and he accepted what I said. But then you have others that are ignorant out of malice, think everyone else is going to western Hell and hate anything RC/EO.
To the OP: I'm annoyed by posters who resurrect threads only to say essentially nothing new. Roll Eyes
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2013, 03:08:52 AM »

To the OP: I'm annoyed by posters who resurrect threads only to say essentially nothing new. Roll Eyes
+1

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2013, 04:13:10 AM »

This!
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

Anglican (but not Episcopagan)

« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2013, 11:43:52 AM »

Oh my--there's a lot of thread ressurrection going on in these here parts.  Cool

"My Lord and My God!"--Doubting Thomas, AD 33
PeterTheAleut
Protospatharios

« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2013, 12:29:31 PM »

Oh my--there's a lot of thread ressurrection going on in these here parts.  Cool
Yes, the Creed says "I look for the resurrection of the dead," not the resurrection of the thread. laugh
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

Anglican (but not Episcopagan)

« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2013, 12:36:47 PM »

Yes, the Creed says "I look for the resurrection of the dead," not the resurrection of the thread. laugh
HA, HA!!!  Cheesy

"My Lord and My God!"--Doubting Thomas, AD 33
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2013, 01:32:28 PM »

HA, HA!!!  Cheesy

LOL, I needed a good laugh.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2013, 01:45:27 PM »

Ah that's awesome!  laugh

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: