OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 12:47:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Monastery: Mr Vig and the Nun-Documentary  (Read 2554 times) Average Rating: 0
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« on: September 05, 2009, 10:49:30 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu-XcnuanFE&NR=1&feature=fvwp

I just discovered this trailer on youtube and wondered if any of you have seen this film? It looks interesting!

(apologies-it should be Mr. Vig, not Veg!)

No problem. Spelling fixed.  Pravoslavbob.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 12:08:58 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Douglas
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 11:35:36 AM »

My wife and I watched it a year or so ago. The old man wants to establish a monastery on his run-down estate (I think it was in France) and invites these Russian nuns to come over and do so. But they insist upon making these changes that begin to aggravate him and it builds from there. It's was an odd movie... somewhat interesting (hey... we didn't pop it out of the DVD player at least) but certainly not an award winner. If memory serves my wife was pretty much bored with the whole thing but toughed it out to the end.  Undecided
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 12:09:14 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Douglas no longer posts on the forum.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 01:47:36 PM »

Smiley LOL. Sounds a bit wacky, from your description, Douglas!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 02:13:52 PM »

It's not a documetary but a feature film

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Douglas
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 02:26:59 PM »

It's a documentary film. Here's what Netflix has to say about it:

Octogenarian Jorgen Lauersen Vig -- a lifelong bachelor -- owns a tumbledown castle in rural Denmark and for 50 years has dreamed of transforming it into an orthodox Russian monastery. But when intractable Russian nun Sister Ambrosija and her delegation are sent to assess the castle, she insists on extensive renovations -- a hitch that could prevent Vig's dream from coming true in director Pernille Rose Grønkjær's offbeat documentary.

My wife and I rented it in February 2008 (I see this from our history on Netflix). I think I'll throw it in our queue again. Maybe it will be better second time around. I know that the subtitling really discouraged my wife (who hates foreign movies with a passion... LOL) but I didn't mind quite as much.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 02:45:31 PM »

Thanks. I have not seen it, but I thought it can't be documentary because it was advertised in my country in the way feature films are.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 04:15:37 PM »

Somehow it seems a bit odd having a woman, even if she is a nun, in charge of such an operation...

Couldn't the Church have sent over some men to organize the project? I thought "church planting" (as it was called in my former church) was a function of the Church, and as such, should have male leadership.

At any rate, I'm getting a bit curious about this film, so I may try to watch it after all...

Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 05:26:15 PM »

I saw this film a year or so ago. It wasn't especially entertaining in my opinion, but it was interesting to see how the monastery got started. It was worth a watch. The documentary took place in Denmark. The scenery was beautiful.

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Douglas
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 07:55:21 PM »

I completely agree with what Bono Vox has said: not particularly entertaining but the scenery is beautiful. It's a very slow-moving film. You really get tuned into the old man's hard work and crankiness. The plot is almost non-existent but it is there... as thin as it is. I put it back into our queue but dropped it to the bottom. Knowing my wife, I'll likely have to watch it by myself.  Cheesy

Xenia
Harmless Little Fuzzball

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 12:57:11 AM »

I enjoyed this movie very much.  I especially liked the Russian nun, Mother Amrosija, who is just as I imagine a Russian nun would be.  It is slow-moving and somewhat reminiscent of The Island, which I also loved.  We have some Danish friends who actually know these sisters and have visited the monastery.
sonoftundra

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 03:43:29 AM »

I've seen some amazing work done by the nuns at St. Paisius Monastery in Arizona.  Those hard working sisters can handle (and have handled) any work the general contractors do as they tame that patch of desert.

Peace - Andrew

Somehow it seems a bit odd having a woman, even if she is a nun, in charge of such an operation...

Couldn't the Church have sent over some men to organize the project? I thought "church planting" (as it was called in my former church) was a function of the Church, and as such, should have male leadership.

At any rate, I'm getting a bit curious about this film, so I may try to watch it after all...

"Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." Philo
LakaYaRabb

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 01:05:31 AM »

It is a good movie, but done in a documentary fashion, with no clear indication of time. If you can watch non-entertaining things on the history channel, you can get through it. I own it, it's good.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 01:29:39 PM »

I rented this film on Netflix and I loved it. I wonder if Ansgar has seen this. Is the monastery open to visitors?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 01:56:00 PM »

I rented this film on Netflix and I loved it. I wonder if Ansgar has seen this. Is the monastery open to visitors?
Unfortunately, the only time I have seen it I only managed to see the latter part of the film. But from what I see it was a very beautiful documentary. Therefore I also became sad when I talked to a friend whom I visited this Pascha who told me that he had heard that Sister Ambrosija had moved back to Russia so currently the castle must stand empty I think. But if you like you kan watch these pictures which was taken when our parish in Copenhagen visited the monastery back in 2009 Smiley
http://ortodoks.dk/2009_hesbjerg.html

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 06:49:25 PM »

That was a good movie.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

spcasuncoast.org
PrincessMommy
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

OCA

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 11:07:23 PM »

I saw the movie a year or so ago. It is a very nice movie. I'm sorry to hear that Sister Ambrosija has gone back to Russia.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 01:48:08 AM »

I saw the movie a year or so ago. It is a very nice movie. I'm sorry to hear that Sister Ambrosija has gone back to Russia.
Very sad indeed. My country could use monasticism. We only have very few monasteries and they are catholic and almost unknown.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 06:59:59 AM »

That's a shame about Sister Amvrosija. She seems like a really nice person... just not someone you want to mess with. Is it possible that she's just taking a hiatus? Also, I thought the plan was to have 4-5 nuns, not just one.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 07:00:24 AM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: