OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 12:46:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quiz: Masterpiece or forgery?  (Read 1664 times) Average Rating: 0
Simkins
Elder

Faith: Православный

« on: September 01, 2009, 11:28:16 PM »

Dutch artist Han van Meegeren was so belittled by art critics, that he could not exhibit any longer. He decided to avenge. He painted several pictures and passed them as newly discovered works of 17th century Dutch artist Jan Vermeer van Delft. The pictures were soon recognized as masterpieces and sold for equivalent of millions of dollars in today's money. Art ctritics could not tell the artist they ridiculed from a known genius. And what about you? Can you tell Vermeer from Meegeren?

Take this quiz to find out: Vermeer or Meegeren?

LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 11:39:15 PM »

I'm no art historian, but the lush colors and smooth, almost airbrushed technique looks nothing like the delicately-balanced, subtle hand of Vermeer. This painting looks like something a high school student of reasonable ability would paint. You'll have to do better than that, Simkins.
SolEX01
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 11:46:12 PM »

Simkins, what's the point?  Are you teaching ART 101?   Huh
Tamara
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 11:50:27 PM »

I'm no art historian, but the lush colors and smooth, almost airbrushed technique looks nothing like the delicately-balanced, subtle hand of Vermeer. This painting looks like something a high school student of reasonable ability would paint. You'll have to do better than that, Simkins.

I agree. Vermeer's work had a luminance not evident in this painting. It also seems to lack the detail.
Simkins
Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 11:54:45 PM »

As is clear from the introduction, Meegeren's forgeries were good enough to do the job. And what was your score?
Simkins
Elder

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 11:55:28 PM »

Are you teaching ART 101?   Huh
Brainwashing 101.
SolEX01
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 12:03:53 AM »

Are you teaching ART 101?   Huh
Brainwashing 101.

The Academic Year just started; I can't give you an honest review until the end of the term.    Smiley
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 12:17:45 AM »

I scored 90% correct.  The only one I missed was the very last painting.  It seemed pretty obvious to me which ones were superior and which were inferior, and I know absolutely nothing about art.  If the story is true, then it is quite funny!
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 12:28:02 AM »

And what about you? Can you tell Vermeer from Meegeren?

No, but I can tell an icon from a paint-by-numbers water color. Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

"Yes, you are a white supremacist, ..."  ~Iconodule
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 03:47:15 AM »

As is clear from the introduction, Meegeren's forgeries were good enough to do the job. And what was your score?

My score? I saw the paintings on the link, but didn't bother doing the quiz. Anyone with a reasonable eye can spot the fakes from the real thing. The styles of painting are very different.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 03:49:30 AM by LBK » Logged
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 04:42:47 AM »

I scored 100% on the "Pollock or Birds" quiz. I did pretty poorly on the Meegeren quiz though.

http://reverent.org/pollock_or_birds.html
Simkins
Elder

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 07:45:35 PM »

I scored 90% correct.  The only one I missed was the very last painting.  It seemed pretty obvious to me which ones were superior and which were inferior, and I know absolutely nothing about art. 
The last one is the iconic Vermeer. Something like his visiting card.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: