OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 03, 2014, 02:17:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about Coptic practice  (Read 2048 times) Average Rating: 0
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« on: September 04, 2009, 08:56:14 PM »

Hello all,

I was recently browsing at orthodoxbookstore.org in their liturgical books section since I'm think about buying the Holy Psalmody book but while checking out other books I came across a book that is part of the Coptic Offices series and one of them contains outside the church services and that one contains "prayer of bathing, the betrothal, blessing of homes and the memorial service for funerals." Now, I'm curious about the bathing prayer. What is this prayer and how is it used? Is it used for bathing in general or is it a certain type of bathing done before prayer or something? Here is the link to the book: http://www.orthodoxbookstore.org/thecopticoffices-outsidechurchservices.aspx Can somebody post the text of this prayer with explanation please? I would appreciate it.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 08:56:25 PM by Andrew21091 » Logged
Fr James

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 10:45:37 PM »

Hello all,

I was recently browsing at orthodoxbookstore.org in their liturgical books section since I'm think about buying the Holy Psalmody book but while checking out other books I came across a book that is part of the Coptic Offices series and one of them contains outside the church services and that one contains "prayer of bathing, the betrothal, blessing of homes and the memorial service for funerals." Now, I'm curious about the bathing prayer. What is this prayer and how is it used? Is it used for bathing in general or is it a certain type of bathing done before prayer or something? Here is the link to the book: http://www.orthodoxbookstore.org/thecopticoffices-outsidechurchservices.aspx Can somebody post the text of this prayer with explanation please? I would appreciate it.

Dear Andrew, peace and grace to you.

The Bathing Prayer is a set prayer of Thanksgiving to God for the safe delivery of a baby and occurs on the eighth day irregardless of whether the baby is a boy or girl. The prayer occurs in the home of the parents with a normal baby bath tub and warm water. The prayer follows the standard, Lord's prayer, thanksgiving prayer, psalm 51, raising of incense (as in Matins). The priest 'washes' the baby in the bath and hands the child back to his/her mother/father. Prayer concludes with the Lord's Prayer. Unfortunately I do not have an electronic copy only the hard paper copies. The bathing prayer is -not- considered a baptism nor a replacement for baptism.

Perhaps others could go deeper into the ritual, but that basically is it.

Pray for me.

Fr James+
Servant
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 11:25:23 PM »

Very interesting, Father. We also have a prayer on the 8th day after birth, but its focus is the giving of the baby's name.

Here's a question: Do you have a similar rite of washing for the 8th day after Baptism? We do, but nowadays it is done at the end of the Baptismal ceremony itself, along with the tonsure. No waiting.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Fr James

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 01:54:30 AM »

Very interesting, Father. We also have a prayer on the 8th day after birth, but its focus is the giving of the baby's name.

Here's a question: Do you have a similar rite of washing for the 8th day after Baptism? We do, but nowadays it is done at the end of the Baptismal ceremony itself, along with the tonsure. No waiting.

Dear pensateomnia, peace and grace to you.

Over the years I have seen very many similar practices between the Greeks and the Copts where 'the rubber hits the road', this is now another. :-) Thank you. As to your question about a washing 8 days after baptism I do not recall ever seeing such, we do place a red ribbon around the baptized which is removed at the end of the service after they have communed the prescious Gems of Christ.

Pray for me.

Fr James+
Servant.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 11:46:05 AM »

That is interesting. Thank you for your answer Father.
sodr2

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

القديس الانبا رويس

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 06:07:38 PM »

I have another question on Coptic practice...

Who decides the readings for the liturgy?

"Happiness depends on the relationship between man and God." Pope Shenouda III
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 07:40:16 PM »

I'm sure it's the same in the Coptic Church but the EO Church, the readings are based off of a lectionary which contains the appointed readings that are to be done in the cycles of the liturgical year.

http://orthodoxwiki.org/Lectionary
Jonathan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 02:10:12 PM »

Daily readings can be found at copticchurch.net .

The full set of lectionary volumes can be downloaded from www.stmaryscopticorthodox.ca/lectionary
Tags: Coptic Orthodox Church prayer Oriental Orthodox prayers 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: