OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 06:22:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Are We Saved?  (Read 1899 times) Average Rating: 0
SSTeacher

Faith: Cradle Catholic, subsequent Evangelical, now Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« on: September 04, 2009, 10:34:00 AM »

I do not yet have a clear understanding of how Orthodox Christians view the Atonement.  Is the Atonement understood in terms of God's justice having had to be satisfied or in terms of a ransom (Mark 10:45) being paid to Satan or is some other idea adduced?  Can somebody help me out, please?

Thanks,
Mick
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 10:55:29 AM »

There are many Scriptural metaphors that explain atonement & salvation. All of them are used within Orthodoxy, but the juridicial metaphors (appeasement of divine wrath, justice) are uncommon. The most common is that Christ's death and resurrection destroyed the power of death (the curse of the Fall), so that those who repent, believe, and are baptized and nourished by the Holy Spirit in the Church are made sons or daughters of God through adoption.

Metropolitan Kallistos wrote a short and insightful book on this topic: http://www.light-n-life.com/shopping/order_product.asp?ProductNum=HOWA750

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 10:57:37 AM »

It's long and can get dense at times, but this previous thread on the Orthodox view of the penal satisfaction theory probably has your answers.  The posts by ozgeorge on this topic are very insightful, I think.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 11:02:46 AM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 10:58:30 AM »

It's long and can get dense at times, but this previous thread on the Orthodox view of the penal satisfaction theory probably has your answers.  The posts by ozgeorge on this topic are very insightful, I think.
The link is not working.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 11:03:00 AM »

The link is not working.

Fixed it.  Thanks!

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
BoredMeeting
Loving the Life of a Council Member
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox/OCA

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 11:04:08 AM »

Try this link instead.
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 06:11:46 PM »

I do not yet have a clear understanding of how Orthodox Christians view the Atonement.  Is the Atonement understood in terms of God's justice having had to be satisfied or in terms of a ransom (Mark 10:45) being paid to Satan or is some other idea adduced?  Can somebody help me out, please?

Thanks,
Mick

Watch this video: (Metropolitan Kallistos Ware-Salvation in Christ - The Orthodox Approach -Lecture) it's about 90 minutes long.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1088949815257678826&ei=74-hSt2IE4KmrAKaybT5BA&q=kallistos+ware&hl=en#

I didn't listen to this podcast yet, but the topic is: (Are You Saved?)
http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/podup/sermonsatstnicholas/are_you_saved

This is a short 3 minute youtube vid (Are you saved? - an Orthodox Christian answer)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAlCze3ZFjA

And last but not least, Fr. Thomas Hopko talks about this issue in passing in this video: (Fr. Thomas Hopko speaks at St. Elijah about Christianity and Armageddon) about 2 hours and some minutes long.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5932925362367103900#

The first video is what you want to see first, for he talks about exactly what you are asking about. So watch Metropolitan Kallistos Ware's video first.

ICXC NIKA
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 06:25:16 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 06:47:20 PM »

Thanks,
Mick

In many areas of Orthodox theology, you will find that we typically do not subscribe to an "either/or" rationale but more often an "and/also" type. This is particularly evident in our view of atonement. I think the links provided should give you good insight.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 07:09:11 PM »

youtube vid (Are you saved? - an Orthodox Christian answer)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAlCze3ZFjA

Is it just me, or does the picture of the little girl 30 seconds in look like a younger version of GreekChef?   Cheesy
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 07:09:44 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 10:59:33 PM »

Grace and Peace,

In one sense, aren't we 'all' spared from Hades (i.e. death) because of the Resurrection? Secondly, we have the possibility of reward in heaven. So we really have 'all' been 'saved' from death and have the 'hope' of a reward in 'heaven'. One of the greatest fears of men in Jesus' time was that of the 'fear of death'. Any thoughts?

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 11:31:04 PM »

Thanks,
Mick

Ummmm, how the Atonement is understood in the East is really rather diverse. We speak of humanity being imbued with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and His grace because of the Incarnation. We speak of the Word sanctifying the various parts of our lives by living them out in a perfectly holy fashion. We speak of Christ defeating death by dying without death being able to ultimately hold Him. We speak of Christ tricking the devil through the ransom theory. Etc.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: