OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 11:12:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EOx repetitve prayers  (Read 1889 times) Average Rating: 0
The Caffeinator
Elder

« on: November 29, 2003, 06:45:34 PM »

I've heard of the Akathist and the Jesus Prayer, and I'd like to learn more.

Can somebody recommend a website?
Oblio
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The Pointless One !

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2003, 07:50:08 PM »

Discussion with the Gerondas on the Jesus Prayer

The Jesus Prayer - Monachos.net
« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 07:54:15 PM by Oblio » Logged
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2003, 07:54:57 PM »

CW: I have to say, the name you gave this thread is very LOADED and bordering on inflammatory.  Speaking of "repetitive" prayers smacks of a judgement call relating formal, codified prayers with the repetitive prayers of the heathens spoken of by Christ.  Was that your intent?

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
The Caffeinator
Elder

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2003, 08:27:17 PM »

Grin I'm going to have to change my screenname!

I called them repetitive, because they are prayers that repeat.

As one who prays the Rosary often, I have little sympathy for the protestant aversion to "recitations."

But that aside, what should I have called this thread? Huh If they're not repetitive prayers, what are they?
Tony

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2003, 08:29:38 PM »

I didn't see anything offensive in your post. From reading some of your other posts you seem very fair minded.

In Christ,
Anthony

Grin I'm going to have to change my screenname!

I called them repetitive, because they are prayers that repeat.

As one who prays the Rosary often, I have little sympathy for the protestant aversion to "recitations."

But that aside, what should I have called this thread? Huh If they're not repetitive prayers, what are they?
The Caffeinator
Elder

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2003, 08:36:51 PM »

Thanks for the websites, Oblio, but I was hoping for more of a "how-to."

Can you use a Rosary for these?
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2003, 08:52:13 PM »

Brother Max:

If a particular thread seems offensive, please use the "report" button located in the lower-right hand of the inflammatory post.  This will let an administrator or moderator know that you find something amiss.  This allows us to do our jobs, and allows you to post without worry.

In echo of Tony, I don't really see anything wrong with the topic name per se.  Now, if our friend, The Caffeinator, decided to call them heretical, then thats a whole other can of worms Smiley

Bobby
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2003, 09:10:41 PM »

The Caffeinator: Okay - I was just a bit suspicious.  I guess I've spent too much time dealing with fundies.  I'm glad that you did not mean anything by the title of the thread, but better to ask and find out for sure than worry and jump to wrong conclusions, right?  Cheesy

Mr. Turkey: I just wanted to find out from Him what he meant by the title of the thread.  Believe me Smiley If I found something objectionable, I would not HESITATE to contact you.  I've just had too many experiences where these things start nice and end up being "traps."

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
The Caffeinator
Elder

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2003, 11:49:36 PM »

Wink Honestly, I just wanted to see how it was done. Are the Akathist and the Jesus Prayer the same thing? I've heard there is also an Eastern version of the Rosary, but I'm thinking it is Catholic.

Would google, but I'm afraid I might not be able to distinguish the good from the bad.

Are there mysteries involved in these prayers? Is there a particular intention meditated upon, as with the Rosary?
carpo-rusyn
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2003, 01:05:15 AM »

Caffeinator

The Jesus Prayer has a few forms but the most popular is "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God have mercy on me a sinner".  It's usually prayed using a prayer rope (aka chotki there are other names but they escape me). The rope looks a little like the Rosary or a chaplet but it's made usually of wool or silk.  You might already know of this but there is a really good book on the Jesus Prayer, "The Way of the Pilgrim" available at Amazon.com and most bookstores.  It's a classic for both East and West.  Paulist Press has an edition in their Classics of Western Spirituality series that's very good.

An akathist is a prayer service which is prayed standing.  The word "akathist" means without sitting.  There are akathists to Our Lord, the Theotokos and the saints.  There is an akathist to the Theotokos done during Great Lent in EO and BC parishes that's very moving.

[Are there mysteries involved in these prayers? Is there a particular intention meditated upon, as with the Rosary? ]

There is no meditation on the mysteries as in the Rosary.  There is a form of the Rosary composed by an EO saint I'm not sure who maybe St Seraphim of Sarov or St Theophan the Recluse.

Hope this was helpful.  If I got anything horribly wrong someone will correct me.

Carpo-Rusyn
Dismas

OC.net

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2003, 09:33:22 AM »

Here is my Christmas gift to you.

http://orthotracts.org/prayers_0008.wmv

Peace,
Dismas

Peace,
Dismas
input--->process--->output
The Caffeinator
Elder

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2003, 02:23:48 PM »

Thanks everybody!

I took a closer look at one of Oblio's links and realized that it was indeed a how-to. I tried praying it but I guess I'm a little novice. (I had this problem when I first began praying the Rosary too.)
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2003, 05:21:15 PM »

Dear Caffeinator:
As far as I know, Orthodox do not meditate on mysteries during prayer, at least not in the disciplined and structured way Roman Catholics do when praying the Rosary (the Sorrowful Mysteries, the Joyful Mysteries, etc).  In fact, the entire concept of meditating on a particular subject or event in the life of Christ WHILE PRAYING is rather foreign to Orthodox thought.  That doesn't mean its "bad".  I think it just means that our prayer forms in the East never developed that particular custom.  In fact, you see much the same thing with Stations of the Cross.  To me it reminds me of the Rosary in that it is a structured mediation on the Via Dolorosa. At each station one mediates on a particular aspect of Christ's passion.  As far as I know, there is NOTHING in Orthodoxy like either one of these, at least not in its meditative aspect.  Some have compared the Jesus Prayer to the Rosary, but the analogy only goes so rare.  While any Roman Catholic can recite the Rosary, the Orthodox Church is actually a bit RELUCTANT to encourage laymen (without proper spiritual guidance) to pray the Jesus Prayer, at least for extended periods.  And when we pray the Jesus prayer we are sternly warned about not using our imagination, not seeking images, visions etc. because these will almost always be forms of demonic delusion  rather than the real thing. I think the reason for this is that the Orthodox have generally viewed the imagination as a dangerous thing, and not something to be made use of in prayer.  
Tikhon
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2003, 11:07:14 PM »

FYI,

The Roman Rite has the Litany of the Most Holy  Name of Jesus which is a bit longer then the Jesus Prayer. *For comparison*

http://www.catholictradition.org/holy-name2.htm

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Tags: Jesus Prayer prayer 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: