Author Topic: Color photos of pre-revolutionary Russia  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Andrew21091

• OC.net guru
Color photos of pre-revolutionary Russia
« on: September 03, 2009, 06:32:51 PM »
I recently came across a very cool photo collection of Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii. The photos are amazingly beautiful and their are very beautiful photos of churches and people in Russia. Many of these photos were taken almost a hundred years ago but they look as if they were taken recently. The photos also show the ethnic diversity that was found there showing Russians, Kazakhs, Jews, Uzbeks, Dagestanians, and others. One photo of the collection that I think is really special is the color photo of Solovki Monastery taken only two years before the dreaded revolution which afterward it was turned into one of the most terrible concentration camps in the Soviet Union.

Enjoy: http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/

Preview:

Photo of Nilova Monastery taken in 1910

These are truly beautiful

Offline Punch

• Taxiarches
Re: Color photos of pre-revolutionary Russia
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 07:03:26 PM »
Yes, I saw those today.  Very beautifull!
I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.

Offline Quinault

• Did you drink water today?
  • Protokentarchos
  • What about frogs? I like frogs!
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 07:07:06 PM »
Do you think these were taken with the original color film or were they hand colored like many color photos of that time? In any case they are beautiful, it makes me want to visit Russia.

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 07:11:04 PM »
It's amazing what they can do: when they digitalized Caruso, they heard these sounds. It turns out that the old recording had the stage hands conversations, which digitalizing brought out.  Digitalized manuscripts, papyri, etc. come out as clear as the day they were written. The colorization here is something else.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Andrew21091

• OC.net guru
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 07:18:23 PM »
Do you think these were taken with the original color film or were they hand colored like many color photos of that time? In any case they are beautiful, it makes me want to visit Russia.

These are showing the real colors. It explains the photographer's techniques on the website. Quote from the site: "We know that Prokudin-Gorskii intended his photographic images to be viewed in color because he developed an ingenious photographic technique in order for these images to be captured in black and white on glass plate negatives, using red, green and blue filters. He then presented these images in color in slide lectures using a light-projection system involving the same three filters."

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/making.html
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 07:18:48 PM by Andrew21091 »

Offline Quinault

• Did you drink water today?
  • Protokentarchos
  • What about frogs? I like frogs!
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Offline Irish Melkite

• Information Mongeror
  • OC.net guru
    • Byzantine Forum
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 03:46:06 AM »
As Andrew describes, Sergei Prokudin-Gorskii was one of the great pioneers of color photography. Although the colors that we see here have been somehat enhanced in the processes that the Library of Congress used in having them reproduced, they are, overall, said to be very true to the originals.

Sergei actually took 3 shots for each picture, using red, blue, and green color filters. He then had to manipulate the resultant multiple images to produce the final photos in colors as true to the original as possible (and he was reportedly a perfectionist in achieving that result). Considering the effort involved, his output was prodigeous - 10,000 prints over a 10 year period.

Regretably, when the Library of Congress purchased the negatives some years after his repose, there were only about 2,000 of them found.

Many years,

Neil
"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory

Offline GregoryLA

• Elder
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 05:32:12 AM »
Absolutely beautiful!  Had to repost this on facebook!