OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 07:23:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Needed: Little Octoechos (Parkletike)  (Read 1271 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« on: October 21, 2009, 05:24:59 PM »

Does anyone know where I can find, online or in printed form, the little Octoechos?  I have it for use at Vespers but as my priest wants to start doing Daily Matins, I need the daily poetic kathismata (for simple commemorations and doxology rank commemorations) after the readings from the Psalter as well as the aposticha of the Ainoi.  If anyone knows where I can find it, please let me know.   Thanks.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 08:05:18 PM »

Also, in addendum (probably should have started a new topic for this one), I need to know how to chant a canon correctly.  Once I have all the materials needed for a canon (from the Parakliti), I have a few more questions.  According to my typicon chart for daily Orthros, after Odes 3 and 6, I am to chant the irmos as Katavasia.  What do I chant as katavasia for Odes 1, 4, 5 and 7?  For Ode 8, for a doxology rank commemoration, my typicon chart (http://www.dowama.org/sites/docs/Chart1.pdf) tells me to chant the seasonal Katavasia which would be from the Canon for the Theotokos but otherwise, for a simple commemoration, to chant the irmos of Ode 8.  So what should I do for the other four odes as far as their katavasiae goe? 

Also, do the Theotokia count as one of the troparia when I am trying to make 14?  Also, if I need to repeat one troparion to make it to the prescribed number of troparia, is it more desireable to chant the first one twice or what?  Also, do you chant Glory...Both now only with the last canon or do you chant Glory...both now with the final troparion and theotokion of every canon?

Sorry, lots of questions and I'm not finding a lot of helpful information elsewhere.  Many thanks.

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 08:11:09 PM »

Archimadrite Ephrem 's is here but not every tone is complete:
http://www.anastasis.org.uk/oktoich.htm

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 08:28:04 PM »

^Thank you, Fr. Deacon.

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 09:15:38 PM »

http://www.archdiocese.ca/e_resources/texts.htm

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 09:58:10 PM »

I need to know how to chant a canon correctly.  Once I have all the materials needed for a canon (from the Parakliti), I have a few more questions.  According to my typicon chart for daily Orthros, after Odes 3 and 6, I am to chant the irmos as Katavasia.  What do I chant as katavasia for Odes 1, 4, 5 and 7?  For Ode 8, for a doxology rank commemoration, my typicon chart (http://www.dowama.org/sites/docs/Chart1.pdf) tells me to chant the seasonal Katavasia which would be from the Canon for the Theotokos but otherwise, for a simple commemoration, to chant the irmos of Ode 8.  So what should I do for the other four odes as far as their katavasiae goe? 
This is one of the most difficult things to learn, it really takes years to fully learn how to put the canon all together. If you are in a parish I am not sure why you need to learn all this since it takes several hours to chant the canon in this manner.

Joseph
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 10:04:51 PM »

^Thanks, Schultz.  I wished it had the canons in there, but it does have the sessional hymns and aposticha for daily Orthros.  It will help greatly.

scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 10:04:51 PM »

Schultz, it does have the canons. I jumped the gun...sorry.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: