OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 11:15:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bye Bye "Indult" mass!  (Read 9147 times) Average Rating: 0
Mexican
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

« on: November 29, 2003, 12:17:59 AM »

The New Bishop of Scranton in the United States has decided to suspend all "indult" masses and ordered the confiscation of properties belonging to traditional latin rite groups such as the Society of the Annunciation of the Lord at the Mary and probably the Society of st. John.

What a pity for those people who gave their money to the indult organizations. Now I guess they won't trust these groups anymore.

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2003, 12:28:03 AM »

did he give a reason WHY?

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2003, 12:28:55 AM »

Lord have mercy!

I do not understand the hatred towards the traditional tridentine Mass that has produced sooo many saints!! If the Catholic Church is big enough to have an eastern rite, why isn't it big enough to accomodate for those who are rightfully attached to the tridentine latin Mass?!

I do not know all the details here, but its such a shame!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 12:30:40 AM by Ben » Logged

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2003, 12:32:07 AM »

um . . . there is no such thing as the Tridentine mass Smiley  properly the tridentine Mass is the Liturgy of Pius V which is the Liturgy of St Gregory the Great slimed down and codified.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 12:37:08 AM by Br. Max, OFC » Logged

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2003, 12:37:51 AM »

Lol I know. But the Mass used before the tragic reforms of the 1960's is refered to as the Tridentine Mass. Some call it the Latin Mass but that can give the wrong idea. The Mass before the Novus Ordo was invented is not simply the Mass today in Latin. So I only used the term "Tridentine" for the lack of a better word. What do you prefer it called? Pre-tragic reforms Mass? Pre-Vat2 Mass? Pre-1960s Mass?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 12:42:37 AM by Ben » Logged

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2003, 12:40:45 AM »

The New Bishop of Scranton in the United States has decided to suspend all "indult" masses and ordered the confiscation of properties belonging to traditional latin rite groups such as the Society of the Annunciation of the Lord at the Mary and probably the Society of st. John.

What a pity for those people who gave their money to the indult organizations. Now I guess they won't trust these groups anymore.

Not that I don't believe you...but where did you get this information?

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2003, 12:41:42 AM »

Ben the better word would be Liturgy of Pius V. Smiley  But that would require people to learn something about their own faith and we wouldn't want that now would we? or how else would we get converts out of the RCC?? Grin

Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2003, 12:46:04 AM »

Hmm Mass of St. Pius V...but you just admitted that the Mass of Pius V is the Mass of St. Gregory but slimmed down a little and codified. So maybe we should just call it the Mass of St. Gregory the Great: give or take a little here and there.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 12:48:37 AM by Ben » Logged

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2003, 12:55:34 AM »

Ben: AH but at the time of Trent there were enough variances within the Liturgy of St Gregory to cause Pius V to restrict the use of variances to the Liturgy of St Gregory as used in Rome. Smiley But either way would be better than Tridentine.  Tridentine sounds like bubble gum.

Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2003, 01:01:25 AM »

Well I don't know anyone who doesn't refer to the Liturgy used before Novus Ordo was invented as the Tridentine Mass. The FSSP, FSSPX, CMRI, and the SSPV all refer to as the Tridentine Mass, so bubble gum sounding or not, thats what I'm calling it.

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2003, 01:11:54 AM »

Ben: I guess we can all use the terms we are most comfortable with - but- by the same token, lots of people refer to Rome as the whore of Babylon - including many saints . . . .

BTW - you meant to say the Liturgy of Paul VI not Novus Ordo, right? Grin

Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2003, 01:33:16 AM »

lol no I meant Novus Ordo.

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2003, 01:43:56 AM »

no I'm quite sure you meant liturgy of Paul VI Grin

Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2003, 01:53:19 AM »

No because Pope Paul VI only approved the Novus Ordo mass, it was invented by a group of Catholic bishops, priests, laymen, and 6 protestant ministers (Drs. George, Jasper, Shepherd, Kunneth, Smith and Thurian).

What liturgy does Community of the Crucified One use?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 01:54:07 AM by Ben » Logged

carpo-rusyn
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2003, 10:01:40 AM »

Mexican

I just checked the diocesan website for Scranton as well as the website of the Society of St John.  I also talked to a priest friend who is a friend of Bishop Martino (who was my church history prof).  None of them mention the confiscation of any property.  Where'd you get this news?  

Carpo-Rusyn
carpo-rusyn
Elder

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2003, 10:02:58 AM »

Oh Ben Ben Ben  Roll Eyes

[No because Pope Paul VI only approved the Novus Ordo mass, it was invented by a group of Catholic bishops, priests, laymen, and 6 protestant ministers (Drs. George, Jasper, Shepherd, Kunneth, Smith and Thurian).]

Where do you get this stuff?Huh??

Carpo-Rusyn
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2003, 03:29:55 PM »

The Novus Ordo mass or the missal of 1970, as some call it, is no where near the old mass. The new mass is truly an invention. The two Masses are so different it is horrifying!

Here is a comparison between the two:

http://www.stjosephschurch.net/compare.htm

Sadly this comparison is not 100% accurate because the old Tridentine Latin Mass is compared to the Novus Ordo missal of 1973, since 1973 there have been minor changes.

As for who invented the new Mass, I stand by my comment, Catholic clergy and laymen along with 6 protestant ministers did. If I am wrong, please correct me with sound evidence.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2003, 03:30:56 PM by Ben » Logged

Byzantino
Me Ortodox
Elder

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2003, 05:38:58 PM »

Catholic clergy and laymen along with 6 protestant ministers did. If I am wrong, please correct me with sound evidence.

I've heard this from RC net apologists too.
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2003, 05:51:41 PM »

I still have never understood why the Roman Catholic Church could not have take the Tridentine Mass and simply translated it into the vernacular and left all the ceremonies intact.  Comments?  Especially comments from Roman Catholics are welcomed.  As an Eastern Orthodox, the whole idea of a "new and improved " Mass always puzzled me.
carpo-rusyn
Elder

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2003, 05:57:47 PM »

Tikhon

[As an Eastern Orthodox, the whole idea of a "new and improved " Mass always puzzled me.]

As an RC it's always puzzled me why EO's care so much about the RC liturgy.

Byzantino and Ben

I will hit the books and get back to you.

CR
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2003, 06:17:07 PM »

Tikhon29605,

I've asked your question many times to fellow Latins and others and never did get a clear response.

Good luck,
james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Byzantino
Me Ortodox
Elder

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2003, 06:31:14 PM »

As an RC it's always puzzled me why EO's care so much about the RC liturgy.

I care about RC liturgy because it's one of the keys of re-establishing full communion between our Churches, and because the spiritual lives of Roman Catholics would be dramatically improved if they were given a decent liturgy. When i consider that the life of the Holy Spirit is expressed primarily thru the Liturgy, it's no wonder that the RCC was so tragically decimated after the introduction of the Novus Ordo.

I still have never understood why the Roman Catholic Church could not have take the Tridentine Mass and simply translated it into the vernacular and left all the ceremonies intact.  Comments?

PRECISELY my sentiments. The first time I walked into a Tridentine parish for Mass I was enthralled. And it was Low Mass. Imagine what it would've been like with the chanting and incense etc. I couldn't help but thinking...how in God's name could they replace this with that Novus Ordo.
carpo-rusyn
Elder

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2003, 06:52:15 PM »

Ben and Byzantino

It just occurred to me that I shouldn't be the only one doing the grunt work here.

Byz
You heard it from an RC apologist that some Prot divines worked on the RC liturgy.  Who was the apologist and what was his source.

[it's no wonder that the RCC was so tragically decimated after the introduction of the Novus Ordo.]

Tragically decimated???  I must've missed something.  We outnumber you right?  We're in every country in the world?  We outnumber even the Prots I think?  Decimated?Huh?  This I don't get.   Shocked

At least you care about the RC liturgy for a good reason not out of some need to demean others.

Ben
[As for who invented the new Mass, I stand by my comment, Catholic clergy and laymen along with 6 protestant ministers did. If I am wrong, please correct me with sound evidence. ]

You made this statement and I didn't even ask where you got this info.  Care to share the source?  

Carpo-Rusyn
Byzantino
Me Ortodox
Elder

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2003, 07:52:45 PM »

Carpo...

Here are some excerpts from a paper written by a defender of the Novus Ordo Mass, who goes by the name "Matt1618."

"There were no doubt Protestant observers of the working sessions of the Commission."

'One thing that must be noted of the input of Protestant observers at Vatican II. On July 4, 1976, the Sacred Congregation for Divine Worship unequivocally declared: “The Protestant observers did not participate in the composition of the texts of the new Missal.”( Documentation Catholique #58, 1976, page 649). What is clear in the Pauline Rite Mass? It reflects the Eucharistic Sacrifice as a propitiatory work offered for the living and the dead; concerning the Transubstantiation of the bread and wine into the body, blood, soul and divinity of Jesus Christ; concerning the intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the saints; concerning prayer for the dead- are all points on which Protestants continue to disagree with the Catholic Church but all of which are explicitly present in the Pauline Rite Mass. (Whitehead, p. 85).'

The full article is here: http://pw2.netcom.com/~matt1618/novusordo.html

We outnumber you right?  We're in every country in the world?  We outnumber even the Prots I think?

Which Church Father was it that said it was foolish to go by numbers? Does anybody know?

Tragically decimated???  I must've missed something.

Carpo if you think nothing has happened in the RCC since the changing of the Mass then you've been living in the land of Oz (and i'm not referring to Australia! Cheesy ) There are statistics available which demonstrate a correlation between the spiritual crisis in the RCC since the 70's and the Novus Ordo Mass. I myself can vouch for that by personal experience. The pandora's box opened by the Novus Ordo seems to have been noticed only by traditional-minded RCs, SSPX types, and a handful of "moderates." It's one thing having a sickness, but refusing to acknowledge a sickness is an even greater sickness.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2003, 07:53:10 PM by Byzantino » Logged
carpo-rusyn
Elder

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2003, 08:16:43 PM »

Byz

['One thing that must be noted of the input of Protestant observers at Vatican II. On July 4, 1976, the Sacred Congregation for Divine Worship unequivocally declared: “The Protestant observers did not participate in the composition of the texts of the new Missal.”( Documentation Catholique #58, 1976, page 649). What is clear in the ]

Thanks for looking this up.  There's a big difference between Prot observers and Prot's working on the liturgy.

[Which Church Father was it that said it was foolish to go by numbers? Does anybody know?]

Probably one of our western fathers.  Yes it is foolish to go by number I remember Athanasius contra mundum.

[Carpo if you think nothing has happened in the RCC since the changing of the Mass then you've been living in the land of Oz (and i'm not referring to Australia!  ) There are statistics available which demonstrate a correlation between the spiritual crisis in the RCC since the 70's and the Novus Ordo Mass. I myself can vouch for that by personal experience. The pandora's box opened by the Novus Ordo seems to have been noticed only by traditional-minded RCs, SSPX types, and a handful of "moderates." It's one thing having a sickness, but refusing to acknowledge a sickness is an even greater sickness.]

I have not been living in Oz I know there are problems but staying outside the church throwing stones at the windows is no way to fix those problems (I'm not saying you are doing this).  Someone once told me that when an Irishman (my own people) leaves the RCC for another church he doesn't leave well enough alone rather he constantly chucks stones at his old parish church so they won't forget he left.  Seems we have an awful lot of Irishmen posting here.

The analogy of the sickness is a good one.  I don't think the RCC has the plague rather some form of the flu.  Yes we should acknowledge we have the flu which I think we do.  But when one has the flu you consult medical professionals not the local quack and some of the people posting on the RCC seem to be quacks (not yourself).  The only way things will get better is by RCs working at whatever level they find themselves to make things better.  All flu's pass and let's just remember this flu has only been around the past 30 or so years.  This too shall pass.  I'm sure there were people complaining after Trent about the fact that their local rite wasn't allowed to be used anymore.

I forgot to congratulate you as an Aussie about Pell, your fellow Aussie being made cardinal. Congrats

Carpo-Rusyn

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2003, 08:17:20 PM »

Ben: you asked before what liturgy my church uses - and there is no simple answer except to say we use the 1962 missel with some of the VII reforms.

Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2003, 08:29:13 PM »

I myself also wonder why the Vatican chose to introduce a new liturgy after Vatican II, when Vatican II called for no such drastic reforms. I am not saying the Novus Ordo mass isn't valid, but what I am saying is that it resembles a protestant service way too much for me to regularly attend.

My local episcopal church uses the Novus Ordo liturgy. I asked the "priest" why that was and she said "Because nothing in contradicts the episcopal faith." That is kinda scary isn't?!

You may ask how in the world can prots use it, well they can Because the New Mass was made in accordance with the Protestant definition of the Mass: "The Lord's Supper or Mass is a sacred synaxis or assembly of the people of God which gathers together under the presidence of the priest to celebrate the memorial of the Lord" (Par. 7 Introd. to the New Missal, defining the New Mass, 4/6/69).

Protestants have said "the new Catholic Eucharistic Prayers have abandoned the false perspective of sacrifice offered to God." (La Croix 12/10/69).

Once again....kinda scary or what?!

The Novus Ordo Mass and many of the reforms had a profound effect upon the Catholic Church, in good ways and in bad ways. To deny that it has effected the RCC in bad ways is absurd. And to deny people thrist for the old mass is also absurd.

There is a reason why SSPX exsists and why its growing so rapidly. There is also a reason why FSSP exsists.

People want the old mass back! I have heard rumors on EWTN that the pope may grant a universal indult to say the old mass to all priests.

I went to an Anglo-Catholic parish in my area and they are high church Anglicans who use the Tridentine litugy in English. The church is packed! And it is so amazing and wonderful. Why can't the RCC do that?! I don't get it!

Just came to mind: And oy the facing the people, if that isn't protestant than I don't know what is!

The changes in mass were not just slight ones but actually "deal with a fundamental renovation...a total change...a new creation" (Msgr. A. Bugnini, co-author of the New Mass).

I think the new mass just needs to be a bad memory, bring back the wonderful and glorious liturgy to the west!

And you can't say the new mass hasn't hurt the RCC:

Fruits of the New Mass are: 30% decrease in Sunday Mass in U.S. (NY Times 5/24/75), 43% decrease in France (Cardinal Marty), 50% decrease in Holland (NY Times 1/5/76).  

In less than seven years after the introduction of the New Mass, priests in the world decreased from 413,438 to 243,307 -- almost 50% (Holy See Statistics).

PALEEZZ the introduction of the new mass was a disaster.

Now as far as the prots helping make up the new Mass I heard that from 2 NO priests, a NO bishop, and some SSPX monks. I have also read some articles online that mention that. If  am wrong please correct me!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2003, 08:49:22 PM by Ben » Logged

Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2003, 08:36:07 PM »

Ben: you asked before what liturgy my church uses - and there is no simple answer except to say we use the 1962 missel with some of the VII reforms.

Yea most traditional Catholic groups use the missal of 1962. I know SSPX and FSSP do, and most independent chapels use the missal of 1962.

I think the only ones who don't are the sedvacantists.

carpo-rusyn
Elder

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2003, 08:45:54 PM »

Ben

[that it resembles a protestant service way too much for me to regularly attend.]

[My local episcopal church uses the Novus Ordo liturgy]

[I went to an Anglo-Catholic parish in my area ]

You're kind of all over the map. Just an observation.

[I am not saying the Novus Ordo mass isn't valid, but what I am saying is that it resembles a protestant service way ]

Ben come on!  The RCC liturgy both NO and TLM are sacrificial offerings most Prot services are not.  The mass in either form is the representation of Calvary  the Mystical Supper, the Wedding Feast of the Lamb.  Don't know many Prot churches who feel that way.

[My local episcopal church uses the Novus Ordo liturgy]

[I went to an Anglo-Catholic parish in my area and they are high church Anglicans who use the Tridentine litugy in English]

Someone else who is a former or present ECUSA member will correct me but ECUSA parishes use the Book of Common Prayer not the NO.  There are some similarities but one big difference---The True Presence. The Anglo-Catholics use the BCP or Anglican Missal the latter being more like the TLM but again no valid orders no True Presence.

[Now as far as the prots helping make up the new Mass I heard that from 2 NO priests, a NO bishop, and some SSPX monks. I have also read some articles online that mention that. If  am wrong please correct me!]

Byzantino already posted something on this.  I'm not sure who you mean by the NO bishop and NO priests?  Do you mean RC clergy?  We don't identify our clergy as NO this or that.  It is possible.......I hope you're sitting down.......that the RC clerics even the bishop were wrong.  The infallibility of the Church doesn't extend to statements made by RC clergy off the cuff.  Besides in the RCC the buck stops with the head honcho in Rome the Pope. He's the final word on things Catholic or at least Roman Catholic.

Carpo-Rusyn

carpo-rusyn
Elder

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2003, 08:47:57 PM »

Someone has yet to furnish verification of the story that started this thread off.  

CR
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2003, 09:03:11 PM »

You're kind of all over the map. Just an observation.

As many are in these troubled times.

Don't know many Prot churches who feel that way.

Not many, that is for sure, but their are some such as the high church anglicans and some lutheran groups that sure feel that way.

Someone else who is a former or present ECUSA member will correct me but ECUSA parishes use the Book of Common Prayer not the NO.  There are some similarities but one big difference---The True Presence. The Anglo-Catholics use the BCP or Anglican Missal the latter being more like the TLM but again no valid orders no True Presence.

I know the ECUSA does not use the NO liturgy, but this priest does, and as I have already stated when I asked her why she explained that nothing in it contradicted the episcopal faith.

As far as anglo-Catholics, I once again was not talking about all anglo-Catholics, but the one I went to, in Idaho Springs, Colorado, does use the tridentine missal of 1962 in english.

And why do you say the Anglicans don't have valid orders??

Just because the pope said so?

I'm not mocking your faith, but really why? I've just heard the answer "Cause Rome said so".

While were on this issue does any body know if there is any truth to this:

In 1922 Meletios IV, as ecumenical patriarch, recognized the validity if Anglican orders.

^^^^Doesn't sound right...just wondering if there is any truth to it.

not sure who you mean by the NO bishop and NO priests?  Do you mean RC clergy?  We don't identify our clergy as NO this or that.  It is possible.......I hope you're sitting down.......that the RC clerics even the bishop were wrong.  The infallibility of the Church doesn't extend to statements made by RC clergy off the cuff.  Besides in the RCC the buck stops with the head honcho in Rome the Pope.

Well they aren't SSPX or CMRI or FSSP or Eastern Catholic priests, so what else would you call them other than NO priests? I meant clergy in union with Rome who only celebrate the NO liturgy.

He's the final word on things Catholic or at least Roman Catholic

Hmmmm and when did his word stop being the "final word" in the eastern rite Catholic churches?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2003, 09:05:05 PM by Ben » Logged

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2003, 09:10:39 PM »

Please check the following link, it can be viewed as htm also. Pages 10/11 of the Doc's reply is interesting.

www.coomaraswamy-catholic-writings.com/MotherTheresa-Complete.pdf

james
« Last Edit: November 30, 2003, 10:24:59 PM by Jakub » Logged

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2003, 09:24:58 PM »

BEN: ah, but unlike the "traditionalists" we do he mass in the vernacular, facing the congregation, use the "for all" as opposed to the "for Many," and we give communion in both species - among other things.

At the same time, we maintain much of what the Church has discarded since the 1970s, if not officially, at least in practice.  We have two alters in our main sanctuary a high and a low - with the tabernacle front and center on the high alter.  We also keep many of the little things that people have forgotten the importance of - how the alter is vested, who does what during mass ( we don not use alter boys at all, but instead use sacristans to assist during the mass), we do not offer communion in the hand to laity, nor have we lost the reverence for Sacred and Holy vessels or their care.  I know that I cannot judge the whole of the RCC by the actions of some of its members, but I’ve seen too often the Chalice and Patten put irreverently on a side table after communion without even being cleansed only to have the alter boys wash them off in the sink like dishes. *sigh* Seeing such abuses, I understand why traditionalists object to the current state of the things.  Unlike the traditionalists, I do not connect such abuses to the rite of liturgy but rather to the growth of humanism within the church and in society in general.

Byzantino
Me Ortodox
Elder

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2003, 09:51:36 PM »

Hey Carpo,

Yep George Pell was a good choice by the His Holiness. I had the pleasure of meeting him once, about 2 yrs ago. What the local media did to him a while ago regarding those child abuse allegations was dispicable.

I also have a strong dislike for the behaviour of the kind of converts who throw rocks at their old church. It's obvious they converted for the wrong reasons. Constructive and honest criticism is one thing, but acting as a turncoat betrays a sense of insecurity and lack of God's presence in that persons life, i think.

I sincerely hope things will improve for the RCC, but it will only start after sicknesses have been diagnosed and proper remedies are proposed, and the laity need to take a very active role.  There's too many of you out there who have had enough, it's really a shame that there's such a top-down structure in the RCC because people like yourself would've been listened to by now. If i had the patience and better letter writing skills i'd write to the RC Archbishop of Melbourne myself!

God bless,

Byz
Byzantino
Me Ortodox
Elder

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2003, 10:10:37 PM »

btw can anyone recommend any good books on the early Roman Liturgy?
carpo-rusyn
Elder

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2003, 10:29:38 PM »

Ben

[As many are in these troubled times.]

Maybe if some stayed put the times might be less troubled.

[Well they aren't SSPX or CMRI or FSSP or Eastern Catholic priests, so what else would you call them other than NO priests? I meant clergy in union with Rome who only celebrate the NO liturgy.]

The CMRI are definitely not Roman Catholic as they are sedevacantists.  The SSPX is rather questionable I think they're just in schism.  The FSSP and Eastern Catholic priests are actually bona fide Catholic.  There are many RC priests who celebrate the TLM under the indult who also celebrate the NO.  I also know of a couple FSSP priests who celebrate the NO at times.  

[Hmmmm and when did his word stop being the "final word" in the eastern rite Catholic churches? ]

Thanks for correcting me.  You're right also the last word for the Eastern rites as well.

[And why do you say the Anglicans don't have valid orders??

Just because the pope said so?

I'm not mocking your faith, but really why? I've just heard the answer "Cause Rome said so".]

Actually "cause Rome said so' is good enough for me.  The Holy Father the Curia (well some of them) and the theologians know far more about the faith than me.  Also as an RC I believe that the Holy Father exercises a unique teaching office in the RCC.

But as to Anglican orders being utterly null and void it goes back to the English Reformation and the Edwardine ordinal and apostolic succession.

Henry 8 tried to keep the CofE rather Catholic in appearence not in doctrine.  The BCP 1549 under Edward 6 was very "catholic' looking but this was quickly revised to remove all mention of sacrifice.  Then Edward 6 had the ordinal (the book with the rite of ordination for both priest and bishop) redone which removed any language that might refer to sacrifice or that the office of priest or bishop was unique in any way.  

The bishops under Henry 8 and Edward 6 were still validly consecrated and the ordinations they performed were illict in Rome's eyes.  Under Mary 1 England returned to the Faith and the bishops and priests who were consecrated prior to the reformation were ok while those done under Edward were re-consecrated or re-ordained as Rome didn't recognize any ordinations doen with the Edwardine ordinal.  When Bloody Bess (known to some as Elizabeth 1) she switched all back to Prot.  All the validly consecrated bishops were sent to what amounted to a concentration camp at Wisbech where they either died or escaped to exile on the Continent.  With all the validly consecrated bishops locked up and unwilling to play Bess' Prot games she had Matthew Parker consecrated as Abp of Canterbury using Edward's ordinal then he went on to ordain other bishops but the line of apostolic succession was broken.

With the line of apostolic succession broken and all mention of sacrifice removed there is no way an Anglican cleric can confect the Eucharist. There are many good books on the subject.

[While were on this issue does any body know if there is any truth to this:

In 1922 Meletios IV, as ecumenical patriarch, recognized the validity if Anglican orders.

^^^^Doesn't sound right...just wondering if there is any truth to it.]

It doesn't sound right but that's for one of the EO members of the forum to comment on. Though I think they would agree with Rome.

Carpo-Rusyn

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2003, 10:30:24 PM »

Byzantino,

Here is a good article on the Mass I was brought up in.

www.stjosephschurch.net/romanrite.htm

james

carpo-rusyn
Elder

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2003, 10:33:53 PM »

Byzantino

There are many good books on early Roman liturgy.  The two that come to mind are Jungmann's "Mass of the Roman Rite" and Adrian Fortescue's book by the same title.  If you're looking for something more interesting you should check out Odo Casel's "The Mystery of Christian Worship".  He was a Benedictine of the early part of the 20th cent. draws on the Eastern fathers quite a bit.

CR
gbmtmas

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2003, 11:36:37 PM »

After scratching my head and wondering what the alleged abolishing of the Indult Mass in Scranton PA, and the alleged confiscation of property(ies) has to do with Orthodox and Roman Catholic discussion/issues, I plowed through this thread, and still have not seen any documentation/sources for the original story line.  Is this story fact or fiction?

gbmtmas

+God Be Merciful To Me A Sinner (GBMTMAS)+
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2003, 11:37:49 PM »

^^^^Doesn't sound right...just wondering if there is any truth to it.]

It doesn't sound right but that's for one of the EO members of the forum to comment on. Though I think they would agree with Rome.

The Orthodox Take on Anglican Orders

Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2003, 12:18:22 AM »

Maybe if some stayed put the times might be less troubled.

Hmmm maybe if Rome would just stay strong and sound in the faith there wouldn't be as much confusion.

The CMRI are definitely not Roman Catholic as they are sedevacantists.  The SSPX is rather questionable I think they're just in schism.  The FSSP and Eastern Catholic priests are actually bona fide Catholic.  There are many RC priests who celebrate the TLM under the indult who also celebrate the NO.  I also know of a couple FSSP priests who celebrate the NO at times.  

Wow..using that infallible power of yours to delcare who is and isn't Catholic again. I am not the judge of the sedevacantists, but I do know Rome recongizes their scaraments as valid, well I don't know what 100% because the Holy See has not released an offical document on them, but I have been told that their sacraments are valid. But that doesn't prove their Catholic, only God knows, and lets let Him be judge.

I used the term "NO priest" because I was trying to explain I spoke with priests who only celebrate the NO liturgy, what would you call them?

Actually "cause Rome said so' is good enough for me.  The Holy Father the Curia (well some of them) and the theologians know far more about the faith than me.  Also as an RC I believe that the Holy Father exercises a unique teaching office in the RCC.

Hmmm seems like a good enough answer for me. Smiley

But as to Anglican orders being utterly null and void it goes back to the English Reformation and the Edwardine ordinal and apostolic succession.

Henry 8 tried to keep the CofE rather Catholic in appearence not in doctrine.  The BCP 1549 under Edward 6 was very "catholic' looking but this was quickly revised to remove all mention of sacrifice.  Then Edward 6 had the ordinal (the book with the rite of ordination for both priest and bishop) redone which removed any language that might refer to sacrifice or that the office of priest or bishop was unique in any way.  

The bishops under Henry 8 and Edward 6 were still validly consecrated and the ordinations they performed were illict in Rome's eyes.  Under Mary 1 England returned to the Faith and the bishops and priests who were consecrated prior to the reformation were ok while those done under Edward were re-consecrated or re-ordained as Rome didn't recognize any ordinations doen with the Edwardine ordinal.  When Bloody Bess (known to some as Elizabeth 1) she switched all back to Prot.  All the validly consecrated bishops were sent to what amounted to a concentration camp at Wisbech where they either died or escaped to exile on the Continent.  With all the validly consecrated bishops locked up and unwilling to play Bess' Prot games she had Matthew Parker consecrated as Abp of Canterbury using Edward's ordinal then he went on to ordain other bishops but the line of apostolic succession was broken.

With the line of apostolic succession broken and all mention of sacrifice removed there is no way an Anglican cleric can confect the Eucharist. There are many good books on the subject.

Oh! So now your the historian here?! lol..thanks for the history lesson...love the name "blody Bess" Grin

You would think the EOC would agree with Rome on this point but I have spoken with many Orthodox priests who say Anglican orders are valid, makes you wonder.....and the whole thing with Patriarch Melitos (sp??) IV. I'll read read the link serge posted.....

hmm I am still wondering if this whole "bye bye indult" thing is actually true.....I wonder where Mexican got it. Huh
« Last Edit: December 01, 2003, 12:45:27 AM by Ben » Logged

Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2003, 12:30:04 AM »

Please check the following link, it can be viewed as htm also. Pages 10/11 of the Doc's reply is interesting.

www.coomaraswamy-catholic-writings.com/MotherTheresa-Complete.pdf

james

Carpo you must read these letters!

carpo-rusyn
Elder

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2003, 12:59:08 AM »

I've still seen no evidence of the charges made at the start of this thread.  I did check both websites for the diocese of Scranton and the Society of St John (the people you figure would know) and nothing on them about the rather dramatic sounding supression and confiscation.

I guess it's just another exciting episode of the

Believe the Worst about the RCC Show Sad

CR
carpo-rusyn
Elder

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2003, 01:06:54 AM »

Ben

[Wow..using that infallible power of yours to delcare who is and isn't Catholic again. I am not the judge of the sedevacantists, but I do know Rome recongizes their scaraments as valid, well I don't know what 100% because the Holy See has not released an offical document on them, but I have been told that their sacraments are valid. But that doesn't prove their Catholic, only God knows, and lets let Him be judge.]

Actually using the Code of Canon Law I'm giving my infallible powers a rest.  A RC is someone who is in communion with the see of Rome and it's occupant JP2.
You presented the CMRI as RC but since they don't recognize the existence of JP2 as the Roman Pontiff they don't make the cut as far as being RC.  As far as the validity of their sacraments I have no opinion.

[I used the term "NO priest" because I was trying to explain I spoke with priests who only celebrate the NO liturgy, what would you call them?]

Well if they're in communion with Rome I'd probably call them RC priests.

Check out Serge's link he is in the know.

CR

Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2003, 01:15:06 AM »

And what if th see of Peter is vacant? There have been times in history when there has been no pope. I remember reading after one pope died it took like 6 years to elect another. I am not saying that we've had no pope for the last 50 years or however long, but what I am saying is that there are times when it is impossible to be in communion with the Pope, esp if there is no pope!

I have a quote for you from a geat Doctor of the Church that not only disproves or refutes sedevacantism, but also explains that when the Pope has erred we have the right to disobey him and protect the faith.

"Just as it is licit to resist the Pontiff that aggresses the body, it is also licit to resist the one who aggresses the souls or who disturbs civil order, or, above all, who attempts to destroy the Church. I say that it is licit to resist him by not doing what he orders and preventing his will from being executed. However, it is not licit to judge, punish, or depose him, since these are acts proper to a superior." - St. Robert Bellarmine

The pope can err against the faith, and when he does, as St. Robert says we may "resist him by not doing what he orders and preventing his will from being executed" but we must never declare he is not pope because "these are acts proper to a superior".
« Last Edit: December 01, 2003, 01:20:25 AM by Ben » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: