OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 01:56:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rank of Archipresbyter  (Read 754 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: September 02, 2009, 09:27:56 AM »

Have you ever heard of it? I was told not only are they allowed to wear a mitre, bu to bless with a dikirion and a trikirion also. In the history of CoP there was only one such a Priest.

Is that true?

Adressed for Slavs nad Slav-like. I suppose Greeks and others have different Priest's awards.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 09:30:40 AM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 09:34:09 AM »

The rank of mitred protopresbyter/protopriest is not given frequently, nor lightly. My understanding is that it is given to married priests who have given long and distinguished service.

I know of two such mitred priests in my neck of the woods: one, who reposed more than 20 years ago, and one who is very much alive, and most likely to be around for quite a few years yet.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 09:34:33 AM by LBK » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 09:39:44 AM »

In Poland rank of an Archypresbyter is much more higher than the rank of Mitrate, Protopresbyter or permission two wear second cross. It's hardly mythical.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 10:45:15 AM »

The only mitred presbyter I know was Fr. Alexander Schmemann of blessed memory in the OCA.  So, it definitely is not a common phenomenon. But, Fr. Schmemann was never called Archipresbyter, but Protopresbyter.  Are the two terms synonymous?

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

metron ariston

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 11:13:11 AM »

In Poland rank of an Archypresbyter is much more higher than the rank of Mitrate, Protopresbyter or permission two wear second cross. It's hardly mythical.

Interesting. Many of these ranks developed rather late in the Russian Church, so they do not exist in the ancient Patriarchates. Perhaps someone more familiar with 18th century Russia could speak up, but I myself have never read of Mitred priests until after Peter the Great's major reforms.

Along Polish lines: The most important bishops involved in Peter's reforms were educated by Jesuits in Poland. That became the way to go for quite some time.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

metron ariston

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 11:27:25 AM »

But, Fr. Schmemann was never called Archipresbyter, but Protopresbyter.  Are the two terms synonymous?

Never heard of Archipresbyters. As far as I understand it, in the Russian-inspired traditions, a Protopresbyter is actually higher than a Mitred Archpriest. So, while a Mitred Archpriest is rare, a Protopresbyter (sometimes called Protopriest) is even more rare.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Hopeful Faithful
How can there be any earthly consecrated orthodox bishops during the age of this Great Apostasy?

Faith: In transition to the Russian old Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Strong Russian Old Pomorsky (Stranniki)

An Old Faith Flag

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 06:25:31 PM »

Good health to everyone!

It is possible that Mitred priests post to this forum.

Forgive, brother John
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 06:28:45 PM by Hopeful Faithful » Logged

HIS Judgment Cometh, And That Right Soon! Mark 13:35

If any man be ignorant, let him alone be ignorant (at his own peril). 1 Cor. 14:38

Let us all hope to be found a faithful, loving bond-slave of Christ on the soon approaching Last Day.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 03:04:49 AM »

But, Fr. Schmemann was never called Archipresbyter, but Protopresbyter.  Are the two terms synonymous?

Never heard of Archipresbyters. As far as I understand it, in the Russian-inspired traditions, a Protopresbyter is actually higher than a Mitred Archpriest. So, while a Mitred Archpriest is rare, a Protopresbyter (sometimes called Protopriest) is even more rare.

And an Archipresbyter is even higher than them.

I know dosens of Mitrates and several Protopriests but I've heard only about one Archipriest.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 03:05:42 AM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: