Author Topic: The Pope and the Council by Janus  (Read 1548 times)

Offline Br. Max, OFC

• Target of choice
  • OC.net guru
  • ECCE HOMO
The Pope and the Council by Janus
« on: November 28, 2003, 08:23:31 PM »
Has anyone ever read the work: The Pope and the Council By Janus a pseudonym for Johann J. Dollinger?  It was written circa Vatican I and primarily in opposition to the Doctrines of the Immaculate Conception and Papal Infallibility.  It's hard to find, but a good read on the topic of Papal infallibility.
"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media

Offline Byzantino

• Me Ortodox
  • Elder
  • Orthodox Christian
Re:The Pope and the Council by Janus
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2003, 08:47:28 PM »
I've been looking for it everywhere and i'm not having any luck. If i do, i'll let you know. Dollinger was the greatest Church historian of his time.

Offline Br. Max, OFC

• Target of choice
  • OC.net guru
  • ECCE HOMO
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2003, 12:05:17 AM »
Byzantino: It's IMPOSSIBLE to find.  I finally got a friend of mine at a local RC high school to get the librarian there to get it from a seminary library on loan and photocopy it for me.  

I mean it's only 130 years out of print.  ;D it should be available every where!!
"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media

Offline Ben

• Unabashedly Pro-Life
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2003, 12:52:17 AM »
Br. Max...

Now I know the non-denominational group, what is it called again(?), you belong too rejects Papal Infalibilty...but does it also reject the Immaculate Conception?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 12:53:07 AM by Ben »
"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint

Offline Br. Max, OFC

• Target of choice
  • OC.net guru
  • ECCE HOMO
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2003, 01:15:17 AM »
vicki: YIKES!!$250?? you wanna buy it for me? ;D

Offline Br. Max, OFC

• Target of choice
  • OC.net guru
  • ECCE HOMO
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2003, 01:29:56 AM »
vicki: are you sure? ;D I'd be glad to offer up some really nice prayers for you if you did. I can't afford $250 for a book - Franciscan vow of poverty and all. . . .

Offline Br. Max, OFC

• Target of choice
  • OC.net guru
  • ECCE HOMO
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2003, 01:42:27 AM »
*gasp*  Blaise Paschal just rolled over in his grave!!

Offline Br. Max, OFC

• Target of choice
  • OC.net guru
  • ECCE HOMO
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2003, 11:04:18 AM »
vicki: you'll have to buy a ticket first!! I mean meet me half way here!! ;D
« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 11:05:14 AM by Br. Max, OFC »

Offline Br. Max, OFC

• Target of choice
  • OC.net guru
  • ECCE HOMO
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2003, 03:11:34 PM »
vicki: :P It's not my fault you're old enough to remember the first ecumenical council!!  To us YOUNG-ens they're new. ;D

Offline Br. Max, OFC

• Target of choice
  • OC.net guru
  • ECCE HOMO
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2003, 06:26:15 PM »
Vicki: are you sure?  Linus was saying the other day that he though you were older than dirt ;D  and then Ben was saying something about you having been Adam's baby sitter . . . . consensus is that you make old look young :) but then I might be mistaken - there is a first time for everything you know!! ;)