OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 02:08:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Charging Fees for Children to Attend Sunday School?  (Read 1293 times) Average Rating: 0
ms.hoorah
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« on: September 01, 2009, 11:33:11 PM »

The RC cathedral near my home mails in mass to the community. Today, this flyer arrived:

“The children’s formation sessions will be held Sunday mornings, 10:05 am to 11:05 am beginning on Sunday, Sept. 20th and ending on May, 2nd 2010.  THE FEE IS $35.00 FOR EACH STUDENT. MAXIMUM OF $80.00 FOR FAMILIES REGISTERING 3 OR MORE YOUTH.”

These are Sunday classes taught by volunteer moms and dads like the other churches around this area.   If a family doesn’t pay, do you think that their children are not allowed to hear the Word of God in God’s house?  (Yes, I know that there are many that give nothing to the church but this is a large cathedral. It has daily morning mass, 6 weekend masses, and over 5,000 parishioners.)  Shocking!

Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 11:47:07 PM »

My best friend in CA had to pay for her kids too. It paid for the catechism books and materials. "Formation" isn't Sunday school, it is basically catechism class.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 11:48:17 PM by Quinault » Logged
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 11:48:09 PM »

Unreal!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 12:03:13 AM »

My best friend in CA had to pay for her kids too. It paid for the catechism books and materials. "Formation" isn't Sunday school, it is basically catechism class.
If the Catholic Church wants new members, why do people have to pay to be "catechised"?  Is this a new practice to tell parents that they must pay?

Quinault
Protokentarchos

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 12:05:58 AM »

I don't have any idea. But she had to register and pay for her kids to attend. In fact the space is limited so on one occasion her child was wait listed for classes. So even though you had to pay for classes the desire exceeds the availability. Then her kids started to attend a private catholic school and didn't have to go at all.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 12:06:40 AM by Quinault » Logged
ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 12:10:58 AM »

I don't have any idea. But she had to register and pay for her kids to attend. In fact the space is limited so on one occasion her child was wait listed for classes. So even though you had to pay for classes the desire exceeds the availability. Then her kids started to attend a private catholic school and didn't have to go at all.
Too many people to catechise....wow, what an awesome problem. Last Sunday, there were only 30 people at Divine Liturgy in my church.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 12:13:13 AM by ms.hoorah » Logged
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 12:11:23 AM »

Oh, please.  I don't think this is a big deal at all.  All religious institutions have an economic element to them.  They probably needed to do this so that the parents would actually make their children show up.  Often if there isn't any money involved, people enroll, but then don't actually feel obliged to attend.  If there are finances involved, then everyone wants to be getting their money's worth!
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 04:11:10 AM »

Last Sunday, there were only 30 people at Divine Liturgy in my church.

At Parish where my uncle is a Priest it would be considered many. Apart from the day of Protection, when a few hundreds of people arrive because of miraculous icon.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Hamartolos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 06:56:22 AM »

Paying to go to Catechism is standard in Catholicism...we had to pay around 30.00 every year to listen to volunteers who didn't know Church teaching but rather made things up as they went.  So, paying for religious education is not standard in Orthodoxy?  Interesting.

Formerly known as "mctavix"
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 07:04:51 AM »

So, paying for religious education is not standard in Orthodoxy?  Interesting.

No, it isn't standard in Orthodoxy.  We've been blessed to not have to go there (yet).
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 07:05:17 AM by cleveland » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags: Sunday School 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: