Author Topic: Charging Fees for Children to Attend Sunday School?  (Read 1401 times)

Offline ms.hoorah

• High Elder
Charging Fees for Children to Attend Sunday School?
« on: September 01, 2009, 11:33:11 PM »
The RC cathedral near my home mails in mass to the community. Today, this flyer arrived:

“The children’s formation sessions will be held Sunday mornings, 10:05 am to 11:05 am beginning on Sunday, Sept. 20th and ending on May, 2nd 2010.  THE FEE IS $35.00 FOR EACH STUDENT. MAXIMUM OF $80.00 FOR FAMILIES REGISTERING 3 OR MORE YOUTH.”

These are Sunday classes taught by volunteer moms and dads like the other churches around this area.   If a family doesn’t pay, do you think that their children are not allowed to hear the Word of God in God’s house?  (Yes, I know that there are many that give nothing to the church but this is a large cathedral. It has daily morning mass, 6 weekend masses, and over 5,000 parishioners.)  Shocking!

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
  • What about frogs? I like frogs!
Re: Charging Fees for Children to Attend Sunday School?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 11:47:07 PM »
My best friend in CA had to pay for her kids too. It paid for the catechism books and materials. "Formation" isn't Sunday school, it is basically catechism class.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 11:48:17 PM by Quinault »

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
  • O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 11:48:09 PM »
Unreal!
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Offline ms.hoorah

• High Elder
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 12:03:13 AM »
My best friend in CA had to pay for her kids too. It paid for the catechism books and materials. "Formation" isn't Sunday school, it is basically catechism class.
If the Catholic Church wants new members, why do people have to pay to be "catechised"?  Is this a new practice to tell parents that they must pay?

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
  • What about frogs? I like frogs!
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 12:05:58 AM »
I don't have any idea. But she had to register and pay for her kids to attend. In fact the space is limited so on one occasion her child was wait listed for classes. So even though you had to pay for classes the desire exceeds the availability. Then her kids started to attend a private catholic school and didn't have to go at all.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 12:06:40 AM by Quinault »

Offline ms.hoorah

• High Elder
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 12:10:58 AM »
I don't have any idea. But she had to register and pay for her kids to attend. In fact the space is limited so on one occasion her child was wait listed for classes. So even though you had to pay for classes the desire exceeds the availability. Then her kids started to attend a private catholic school and didn't have to go at all.
Too many people to catechise....wow, what an awesome problem. Last Sunday, there were only 30 people at Divine Liturgy in my church.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 12:13:13 AM by ms.hoorah »

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 12:11:23 AM »
Oh, please.  I don't think this is a big deal at all.  All religious institutions have an economic element to them.  They probably needed to do this so that the parents would actually make their children show up.  Often if there isn't any money involved, people enroll, but then don't actually feel obliged to attend.  If there are finances involved, then everyone wants to be getting their money's worth!

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 04:11:10 AM »
Last Sunday, there were only 30 people at Divine Liturgy in my church.

At Parish where my uncle is a Priest it would be considered many. Apart from the day of Protection, when a few hundreds of people arrive because of miraculous icon.

Offline Hamartolos

• High Elder
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 06:56:22 AM »
Paying to go to Catechism is standard in Catholicism...we had to pay around 30.00 every year to listen to volunteers who didn't know Church teaching but rather made things up as they went.  So, paying for religious education is not standard in Orthodoxy?  Interesting.
Formerly known as "mctavix"

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 07:04:51 AM »
So, paying for religious education is not standard in Orthodoxy?  Interesting.

No, it isn't standard in Orthodoxy.  We've been blessed to not have to go there (yet).
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 07:05:17 AM by cleveland »
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.