Author Topic: Favorite Linux Distro that you use / have used?  (Read 551 times)

Online LivenotoneviL

• A Hopeful Sinner
  • OC.net guru
  • Saint Dmitri of Rostov, Pray For Us!
  • Faith: Outside the Church
  • Jurisdiction: None
Favorite Linux Distro that you use / have used?
« on: February 03, 2018, 01:56:49 AM »
I have a very, very bad habit of being indecisive and hopping to various Linux distributions (such that I'm still surprised my 3 year old hard drive still runs perfectly), and as of right now, I've settled down with elementary OS.

Now, many Arch Linux or Gentoo Linux users may laugh at me, and despite some of the stupid decisions that have been made for the "simplicity" of the user, including the default disabling of 3rd party repositories, the default text editor being really banal and basic, the default disabling of GTK customization, and the fact that their file manager doesn't even have a search option ( :o ), I nonetheless really like Ubuntu and out of all the various workflows that I have used (MATE, GNOME 3, Unity, Windows, Mac OS X, Mac OS 9), I still prefer the "dock and titlebar" OS X workflow the most. I think the Pantheon desktop environment in terms of thematics and accessibility blends both Mac OS X and GNOME 3 beautifully, with an OS X workflow and features that made GNOME 3 convenient. I also love some of their exclusive software, like their app store or their "Eddy" deb installer program.

Here's my current desktop:

So what do you guys prefer?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 02:05:22 AM by LivenotoneviL »
"Miri it is while sumer ilast with fugheles song, oc nu
neheth windes blast and weder strong. ei ei what this
niht is long. and ich with wel michel wrong, soregh and
murn and fast."

May God one day unite me with the Holy Orthodox Catholic Church.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
Re: Favorite Linux Distro that you use / have used?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 04:11:56 AM »
I wish I knew what you're talking about, I can't even pirate films properly.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Faith: Finnish Orthodox
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 04:14:36 AM »

Who pirates films these days when we have myriad of streaming services?
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 04:22:39 AM »

If it's not in Netflix, every streaming link is a Russian malware until proven innocent.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Faith: Finnish Orthodox
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 04:58:51 AM »

If it's not in Netflix, every streaming link is a Russian malware until proven innocent.

True. But since Netflix, HBO, Apple, Google et al are providing so convenient and not too costly service I don't see any need for pirating. Pirating is bothersome, legal options aren't.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 04:59:29 AM by Alpo »
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Online LivenotoneviL

• A Hopeful Sinner
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 02:39:33 PM »

Basically, Linux is an alternative operating system like / to Windows and macOS, which you can install on your computer (even alongside both Windows and macOS).

What makes Linux unique is that it is completely open source - that is, the entire operating system is free and anybody can take the code and modify it to fill their own vision of it. Thus, there are multiple different versions or "distributions" or "distros" that you can download and use to fill so many different spectrums of what the user wants (Do they want the "bleeding edge" in terms of software, or do they want the most stable and secure versions? Do they want a very user friendly version, or do they want a version that only master hackers can use? What do they want their desktop to look like - something unique? to look like Windows? to look like Mac?)

In recent years, Linux has gotten really more popular, with software which Windows and Mac users use available for it - Steam, Spotify, Google Chrome, Skype, etc.

Thus, you have multiple different distros of Linux, and many of these distros are customizable.

For example, all one has to do is look at the many different versions of Ubuntu that are available, Ubuntu being the most popular Linux distro.

Ubuntu:

Kubuntu:

Ubuntu Mate:

Ubuntu Budgie:

elementary OS:

Zorin OS:

And this is just one version of Linux with a different Desktop Environment or GUI; the programming is essentially the same.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 02:40:11 PM by LivenotoneviL »
murn and fast."

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 05:29:00 PM »
Thanks! My uncle, who's a programmer IIRC, downloaded it in another uncle's computer, he seems to be very satisfied with it. I should look into it. I hope it supports Office 2016 or some compatible rip-off.

Online LivenotoneviL

• A Hopeful Sinner
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 05:50:38 PM »
IF you are interested in it, be VERY CAREFUL when installing it. You don't want to accidentally lose data.

For Microsoft Office, there is no official version for Linux - but there is LibreOffice, WPS Office, and you can use Microsoft Office's web app.

P.S. I decided to go back to Fedora again. I tend to hop distros too much.
murn and fast."

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Metropolis of Denver
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 08:17:31 PM »
I tend to stick to a distro and window manager for many years, until its creeping quirks exhaust my patience.  Then, it's time for a change.  However, I've been using Ubuntu and Xfce for about a decade, after years spent in Solaris, Fedora, OpenSUSE, KDE, CDE.  Not that the current ones are free of quirks, quite the contrary.  But I changed usually after some new fangled feature disrupted the way I'm more productive or development became stale.

elementary OS seems rather appealing, but I'll wait for it to mature.  I loath being my own IT support.  That's why I use a Mac at home.
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline arnI

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOA Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 10:16:36 PM »
Ubuntu Mate since it runs well on my ten year old iMac.
Grant me to see my own errors and not to judge my brother

Offline wynd

• High Elder
  • Transfiguration
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 05:03:13 PM »
Used to use Slackware on all my machines. Then I got a job in IT (Cisco) and got tired of spending all my free time in the CLI after doing it all day at work and I converted to Macs.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 07:59:26 PM »
I liked Fedora until it stopped supporting the wireless network interface.