OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 08:20:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feeling changed  (Read 856 times) Average Rating: 0
Hamartolos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: September 01, 2009, 07:52:40 PM »

Dear friends in Christ,

For 7 years I felt a draw towards Orthodoxy and finally was made a catechumen a couple weeks ago.  Since then, I have been feeling a incredible change within my spiritual life and my life in general.  This is so new to me!  I never felt like this before and I was a devout Catholic.  Finally, I believe, I am experiencing God in my daily life and He is guiding me to where I need to be.  This is truly incredible and actually unexpected to me.  My question is, do most or all converts have this type of experience in some way or another?  Surely they do! 

Glory to Jesus Christ forever!

Formerly known as "mctavix"
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 08:03:03 PM »

Congratulations mctaviix!

I am a convert to the Orthodox church as well. When my wife & I became catechumens, I did not expect anything spiritually significant to happen; however, after the priest blew on us, I felt the grace of the Holy Spirit really strongly for several days. I feel this helped confirm our decision to become Orthodox.

Looking back on it, as a catechumen, I was very impatient at wanting to get baptized and chrismated. I think I was under the impression I would be damned if I didn't begin to receive the sacraments immediately (which had to do with my western christian mindset). If I could do it over again, I would have just sat back and enjoyed the ride.

You are now under the protection/wing of mother church! I wish you a great journey!

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 10:27:37 PM »

... after the priest blew on us, I felt the grace of the Holy Spirit...

Can you clarify what you mean by this?

In reply to the OP,

I feel that I am being changed slowly but surely by God's grace.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 10:29:45 PM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 11:14:40 PM »

The priest blows on you when he leads you through the catechism vows.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 11:33:44 PM »

mctaviix, May the Lord bless and guide you during your cathecumenate and strengthen you when the eventual obstacles and challenges rear their heads.

Amen!
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 03:13:50 AM »

Glory to God!

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Hamartolos
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 06:47:59 AM »

Thank you all,

Currently, there are a lot of things going wrong and a lot of problems I am facing...what is different from any other time is that despite this heavy cross that I have been given, I feel that the Lord is helping me carry it.  This is just a very different experience than any other time that I can remember. 

Formerly known as "mctavix"
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 09:20:44 AM »

If you read the sticky note (It looks like it has a push pin symbol) at the top of the Forum "Conversion Stories" you will find that many have felt the way that you do.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: