Author Topic: Messianic Judaism  (Read 81403 times)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
Re: Messianic Judaism
« Reply #225 on: May 23, 2015, 03:34:27 PM »
I think messianic judaism is so diverse that is quite hard to label them...from my experience, messianic judaism is a fundamentalistic evangelical phenomenom to compensate the lack of historic heritage and and ancient liturgical practice in evangelicalism, something like ''we need to have more historical roots and liturgical practice, but we can't practice ancient christian tradition because we will be considered evil roman catholics, so we must mix the modern jewish ashkenazim practices with some evangelical liturgy'', in the end of the day, is a pastiche of evangelical fundamentalism, jewish rituals, dispensationalism and radical zionism...

Down here in South America there is some degrees of ''messianic judaism'', most of them totally if I'm not mistaken, are completely separate from judaism, so, you can find pentecostal churches with some jewish stuff, like shofars, a replica of the Ark of the Covenant, preachers using tallit and a yarmulk (they usually mix all this stuff with prosperity theology); it's also possible to find a small but growing denomination called Israelite Congregation of the New Aliance, their churches are build like a synagogue, with this closet in the front where they keep the Torahs, the woman veil their heads, they don't believe in the Holy Trinity, and accept the Talmud, the Midrash and almost all jewish writings as divine-inspired, their liturgy joins torah recitation in hebrew and rock/gospel bands. I think 99% have evangelical pentecostal backgrounds, never entered a synagogue and don't have any jewish heritage (they say they have, but I doubt it).

Wow, I wonder if the Ethiopians (who have Ark replicas and certain other Jewish-derived practices) should try sending missionaries down there. Perhaps the Indian Syriacs could go too.

Why?
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #226 on: May 23, 2015, 11:28:23 PM »
I think messianic judaism is so diverse that is quite hard to label them...from my experience, messianic judaism is a fundamentalistic evangelical phenomenom to compensate the lack of historic heritage and and ancient liturgical practice in evangelicalism, something like ''we need to have more historical roots and liturgical practice, but we can't practice ancient christian tradition because we will be considered evil roman catholics, so we must mix the modern jewish ashkenazim practices with some evangelical liturgy'', in the end of the day, is a pastiche of evangelical fundamentalism, jewish rituals, dispensationalism and radical zionism...

Down here in South America there is some degrees of ''messianic judaism'', most of them totally if I'm not mistaken, are completely separate from judaism, so, you can find pentecostal churches with some jewish stuff, like shofars, a replica of the Ark of the Covenant, preachers using tallit and a yarmulk (they usually mix all this stuff with prosperity theology); it's also possible to find a small but growing denomination called Israelite Congregation of the New Aliance, their churches are build like a synagogue, with this closet in the front where they keep the Torahs, the woman veil their heads, they don't believe in the Holy Trinity, and accept the Talmud, the Midrash and almost all jewish writings as divine-inspired, their liturgy joins torah recitation in hebrew and rock/gospel bands. I think 99% have evangelical pentecostal backgrounds, never entered a synagogue and don't have any jewish heritage (they say they have, but I doubt it).

Wow, I wonder if the Ethiopians (who have Ark replicas and certain other Jewish-derived practices) should try sending missionaries down there. Perhaps the Indian Syriacs could go too.

Why?

From what I've read, at least prior to the contact with the Portuguese, they (like the Ethiopians) had a lot of Jewish-derived customs.
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #227 on: May 23, 2015, 11:45:08 PM »

Why?

From what I've read, at least prior to the contact with the Portuguese, they (like the Ethiopians) had a lot of Jewish-derived customs.

What have you read?
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
« Reply #228 on: May 23, 2015, 11:59:03 PM »

Why?

What have you read?

Well, this website says that "In due course some of the Christian churches resembled Hindu temples from outside and Jewish Synogue [sic] from inside." It also makes mention of the practice of covering heads in worship, and naming conventions.
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #229 on: May 26, 2015, 12:37:36 PM »

Why?

Well, I forget to mention that some pentecostal denominations down here are strongly influentiated by african/amerindian shamanic cults, that we call Umbanda, Candomblé, batuque and quimbanda, that is something similar with santeria or voodoo, so is quite normal to see people ''incorporating'' the ''holy spirit'' and spining wildly very similar with the afroamerindian spiritual entity pombagira or with some voodoo stuff, all of that with a frenetic drums mixed with some jewish simbols and bad biblical hermeneutics....it's quite insane.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
« Reply #230 on: June 18, 2015, 09:34:02 PM »
Have any of you guys heard of Michael Rood? I was just doing a Google search and a video by him popped up as a sponsored link. My curiosity piqued and I looked around further. Apparently he was ordained by The Way International before subsequently becoming a "Messianic Rabbi". TBN has broadcasted him, and apparently the late Reggie White was a fan of his. He denounces "Gentile Christianity" as pagan. He has a TV show called "A Rood Awakening" and lives in Israel, or at least he claims to.

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #231 on: June 19, 2015, 10:36:21 AM »
Have any of you guys heard of Michael Rood? I was just doing a Google search and a video by him popped up as a sponsored link. My curiosity piqued and I looked around further. Apparently he was ordained by The Way International before subsequently becoming a "Messianic Rabbi". TBN has broadcasted him, and apparently the late Reggie White was a fan of his. He denounces "Gentile Christianity" as pagan. He has a TV show called "A Rood Awakening" and lives in Israel, or at least he claims to.

He created a scandal with some other Messianic Christians because he had a non Christian theology. Something about Jesus not being divine or the Messiah. I don't quite remember, but it was about a major issue.
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Svartzorn

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek A.Diocese of B. Aires & S. America
« Reply #232 on: September 04, 2016, 10:06:52 PM »
To what conclusion this has come to?
After looking into it a little bit, it just seems to me that they are a bunch of evangelicals who bring elements of judaism as some kind of anamnesis. Pretty pointless.
I'm saying that because jews seem to despise them and not consider them really jewish.
It's pretty nasty IMO. I'd rather side with the joos on this one.
Death to the world dodos.

Offline maneki_neko

• Faith: Catechumen
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #233 on: October 15, 2016, 01:45:00 AM »

1. Yes we believe He's really present the way you believe it.

Without a Eucharistic prayer from a priest with Apostolic Succession, how do you believe the bread and wine physically become the Body and Blood? Put another way, what's the difference between your priest telling you bread and wine are now Body and Blood versus a rando off the street (who also claims to be a follower of Christ) holding bread and wine and saying the same thing? Is rando's declaration equally valid?

2. The righteous dead are mentioned in our prayers but we do not pray to them or for them. We pray to God and ask Him to remember them on the day of the Resurrection and hope that He will grant them eternal life on that day and reunite us with them.

How is that not the same as "praying for them"? As I understand it in EO, when you pray for a departed soul you are praying that very thing, that they will be granted eternal life.
主哀れめよ!