OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 05:41:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Islamic Salat and non-Chalcedonian Offices  (Read 1749 times) Average Rating: 0
The Caffeinator
Elder

« on: November 27, 2003, 05:12:03 PM »

I've heard that Islam's Salat (the prayer they pray five times a day) is liturgical, like the Divine Office.

My question is, if Islam is a Christian heresy, is their Salat a perversion of Eastern offices, and if so, which one?
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2003, 09:58:33 PM »

I was told that Islam is a Christian heresy closely linked with the Arian heresy, that denied the divinity of our Lord Jesus Christ. It is obvious that from reading the Qu'ran and the sayings of the "Prophet" that he had some what of an imperfect knowledge of Christianity.

If you look at Islam and her prayers and traditions you can often see what seems to be perverted Christianity.

One time I was at a mosque during Ramadan and was listening to a man, I asume he was the Imam, chanting verses from the Qu'ran. I was shocked when I realized how similar his chanting was to the chanting I hear at Divine Liturgy. It seemed too much like byzantine chant, it was quite scary.

Also Muslims, pray five times a day, as you mentioned. Praying at fixed times during the day is not of Islamic orgin but rather of Jewish and eventually Christian origin.

It might also be pointed out that Muslims postrate when they pray, once again postrations find their roots in ancient Judasim and of course Orthodox Christianity.

I think it is hard to read the Qu'ran and study the customs and rituals of Islam without seeing a hint of Chirstianity and Judaism. However it is obvious that Islam is a long way from being anything Chirstian, but I do think it is true that Islam finds its origins in Christian heresy.

As far as the prayers said during salat here is a link.....

http://www.as-sabereen.com/dosalat.htm

After looking over the prayers, I do not think these prayers are based upon Christian prayers, however not all of the prayers directly contradict Christian teaching.

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2003, 02:50:12 AM »

Ben,
All of your observations above are very astute. Yes, Mohammed did, for a short period of time, spend some time learning about Christianity from an Orthodox priest (in Palestine, I believe.)  He came away from that experience with a highly imperfect concept of the Christian Church.
Other copied features.
1) The Hadj - the pilgrimage to Mecca copied from the same named Christian  pilgrimage to Jerusalem.
2) Prostrations in devotions.
3) Charity mirroring tithing.
4) Fasts- in an abreviated manner.
There are many more, I'm sure.

He was very good at co-opting features of competitive religions into his own manufactured one. Even Mecca and that meteorite they worship (or whatever) were "holy" to the Arabs prior to Islam. He found it easier to absorb other traditions rather than change them, aiding in spreading his new religion.
Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2003, 04:06:45 AM »

Removal of shoes before entering the temple is another thing taken from the early Christian church. I'm not sure why this practice has ceased in the church.

John.
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2003, 04:23:55 PM »

I've tended to see Islamic chant as similiar to chants of the Oriental and Assyrian Churches, not the Byzantine tradition, though I've noticed this (similiarities with Byzantine chant) has been the perception of several individuals.

In IC XC
Samer
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2003, 06:36:34 PM »

Removal of shoes before entering the temple is another thing taken from the early Christian church. I'm not sure why this practice has ceased in the church.

John.

It hasn't. My local GOA cathedral always has a large number of Ethiopian (Coptic) Chrisitians for Divine Liturgy. They ALWAYS take off there shoes before entering the church.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2003, 06:39:30 PM by Ben » Logged

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
Jonathan
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2003, 02:57:34 PM »

In the Coptic Church was always take off our shoes before entering the Communion rooms or Sanctuaries, but we usually don't bother before entering the Church anymore, although a lot of us try to take them off as soon as we're inside.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2003, 05:48:14 PM »

John.

Not in the True Church it hasn't.  Tongue

Pray without shoes, even in church, and wash your hands before prayer.  You might be surprised at the difference it makes.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Tags: Islam prayer 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: