OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 03:57:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trevor's search for Christianity  (Read 4573 times) Average Rating: 5
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: August 11, 2009, 06:46:05 PM »

well, I havent converted yet (and I am 15, in case it matters).  I was baptized Presbyterian (when I was a baby), but my parents never took me to church.  my mom grew up protestant, without going to church, and my dad grew up Roman Catholic and went to church.  Ever since my mom was little, she has had a friend who was Eastern Orthodox.  sometimes she would sleep over her house and go to church with her on sunday mornings.  *0 years later, I have been doingsome "soul searching".  I really want religion in my life, and have been studying a plethora of different world religions.  My mom's friend's daughter (who is like my sister, and her brother like my brother) was baptized into eastern Orthodoxy about a year ago.  she invited me to go to her church because she thinks I will really like it.  It really is a coincidence because, in my studies of religion, I have studied Wicca, Judaism, Islam, Non-denominational christianity (which i thought was empty-seeming), Catholicism (which I studied deeply, I was convinsed i wanted to convert), and, only about 3 weeks ago did I start to study Eastern Orthodoxy, and In my opinion it is TRUTH! the ORIGINAL church!  well, anyway, I am going to my first liturgy this sunday and am SO EXCITED! depending on how much I like the church, I intend to convert.  this is OK with my mom, since she grew up with an Eastern-Orthodox friend.  and, my parents are divorcing Embarrassed so my dad won't have much of a say.  I haent really expressed my interest in Eastern Orthodoxy to him.  when I was really into Roman Catholicism, he took me to mass.  after that, I started looking at Non-Denominational christianity and stopped going to mass.  I am avoiding telling him how interested in Eastern Orthodoxy because he's catholic and wouldn't like my reasins for converting.  my biggest reason is, in my searching, i've found that before the Eleventh Century, there was just ONE ORTHODOX CHURCH, then the Catholic church broke off.  he has the idea, like many Catholics, that their church is the original chrch.  he won't like hearing an opposition.

I HAVE ONE QUESTON:  is their a class i have to take before converting?  I know I should ask my priest, but what happened when (some of) you converted?

I have split this topic out of conversion stories because Trevor hasn't converted yet but has questions.

Thomas
Convert Issues Forum Moderator
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 09:28:07 AM by Thomas » Logged

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 07:14:09 PM »

I HAVE ONE QUESTON:  is their a class i have to take before converting?  I know I should ask my priest, but what happened when (some of) you converted?

It really depends on the parish.  Some you will just be one on one with your Priest, others you will have a class run by your Priest, others will have a class run by a member of the laity, etc.  Usually it is based around the number of possible converts the parish receives, and if it has the manpower to run such class.

Welcome to the forum, btw!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 07:14:30 PM by Nebelpfade » Logged

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)

Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 07:26:40 PM »

Trevor

I'm Just like you (15) and wanting to convert I'm actually in the process of leaving the Catholic Church what I would suggest you do is that after the divine liturgy ask the priest if you can speak with him and tell him your story and ask him any questions you have. He will guide you.

God Bless and my prayers are with you

A.S.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 07:27:13 PM by Altar Server » Logged

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!
Firiel

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

St. Alexandra the New Martyr

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 10:27:27 PM »

Trevor,

I was just like you a few years ago. When I was fourteen, I was looking for spirituality in my life and found Orthodoxy, after an intense search of Catholicism, through a friend. I was just as fervent and as in love with the religion as you- but my advice is wait. I'm not saying don't convert, after all, I was just baptized and chrismated this last Pascha. I'm just saying take it slowly. Read theology, the Desert Fathers, and most of all, keep going to church. Make sure you understand the religion before you become a part of it. I was forced to do this, and for the first year I resented it, but I began to realize the wisdom of it. It's not a good idea to rush into things, and the more immersed you are in Orthodoxy, the sweeter your reception into the Church will be.

God bless!

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 07:44:21 PM »

MY FIRST LITURGY
today I went to my first liturgy at St. Michael's Orthodox Church. IT WAS SO AMAZING! the icons, paintings, etc. took my breath away. the priest was so nice. in the Catholic and Protestat churches I've been to, the priest was some old man who didn't want to talk to teenagers. this priest even called me by my name. after the service, I went with my friends to coffee hour and met some WONDERFUL PEOPLE. I thought they would look at me as an outsider, but they made me feel more at home than i've ever felt at any church in my life! I even met a woman who started teaching at my high school the day it opened in 1959! they were more like a big family than a church!   and, In the Catholic church, we just got yucky wafers, but we get accual chuncks of bread in the orthodox church!  I know what you're thinking, no, i did not relieve communion, but my friend gve me a piece of communion bread after she went up, so did another man, and, at coffee hour, another man.  I JUST LOVE THESE PEOPLE! (AND THEIR BREAD!)

but, I need some advice.  my mother has some ill-will towared the Catholic church, which I understand.  one of the things she doesent like is confession.  I don't know why.  I've explained to her, as the priest explained to me about seven hours ago, that the Catholic church broke from the Orthodox church and took with it some of our traditions.  she understands this, but I still need to convince her that I am SURE I want to convert.  I don't think she realizes there is a process and I can't just say: "I'm In" (although I wish it were that easy) 

I intend to wait one month, or until the priest says "Would you like to be Orthodox, here's how."  But, do you have any tips for me on convincing my mom I want to convert?  she is not against the Orthodox church.  she went to the same church when she was little (with my friends mom, who is Eastern Orthodox) and she liked it.   

How did people in my situation tell their parents they wanted to convert?

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Altar Server
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 08:11:56 PM »

I'm glad you enjoyed the liturgy Trevor and I pray God will guide you to the Truth Smiley!!

btw: You didn't recieve communion but rather blessed bread Smiley

Pilgrim
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Holy Orthodoxy

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 08:56:30 PM »

Your kidding there are other 15 year olds interested in Orthodoxy? Small world...I thought I was the only one.

Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth help us to walk the way of Life, which is Christ Jesus.

St. Cyril, St. Leo, and St. Severus pray that the Church may be united and one, Eastern and Oriental.St. Issac the Syrian, pray that Assyria would return to the Holy Church. St. Gregory, pray for Rom
Altar Server
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 09:12:34 PM »

Sorry to steal your thunder  Grin

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 05:13:37 PM »

I really did LOVE the liturgy.  I am also glad the Lord had me study different religions (I thought I was lost in a sea of different beliefs), because now I am able to see the truth. 

I am just worried that when I tell my mom I want to convert, she will not take me seriously.  that's why I intend to eoter wait 4 weeks or until the priest brings up conversion.  does that sound like a good plan?

Altar Server
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 06:51:35 PM »

I know the majority of my family dosen't know but I'm telling everyone soon ask father what he thinks you should do.

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 11:12:48 PM »

???I have a problem!  this might not be the right subject to post under, but, it is a part of my conversion story.  In studying religions, I have come to Catholicism about 3 times, 2 of which, I was convinsed I wanted to "be catholic". 

well, as I posted above, I went to an Orthodox church and I LOVE IT!  but, I can't help but feel some deep connection to the Roman Catholic church.  for example:

while I was supposed to be changing out of my school uniform, I fell asleep (as I often do)  I slept for 4 hours!  I drempt a devil-worshipper trapped me in a basement and did some sort of ritual, but, I excaped before he could sacrefise me.  I ran to different houses, but he followed me.  finally I came to a Catholic church, and I FELT SUCH COMFORT!  I saw a nun and ran to her and gave her a big hug.  in my dream, the satanist could not enter the church.

I don't know why I didn't dream about an Orthodox church!  I thought Catholicism was behind me, but I still have some psychological "feelings" for it.  this changes my feelings about wanting to convert to orthodoxy.  I don't know if my conviction is "true and pure" with feelings for the Catholic church.

any advice?

Altar Server
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 12:32:04 AM »

Tervor

I'd say calm down it's just a dream but the devil in subtle ways my be trying to lore you away from Orthodoxy but Talk to your Orthodox priest

Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 01:18:58 AM »

Trevor -

You MUST take your time with this.  For now, keep your decision to yourself until you are more confident about it.  The Church isn't going anywhere, and it sounds like you're still not sure what it is you want.  I would wait around for the glitz to wear off and some resolve to set in.  Many people take 3-5 years to convert, so 1/3 of your lifetime!  Just be patient; God understands these things.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 01:19:10 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 09:33:17 PM »

Tervor

I'd say calm down it's just a dream but the devil in subtle ways my be trying to lore you away from Orthodoxy but Talk to your Orthodox priest

you are absolutly right!  and, even if I was tempted too (I don't know how), I wouldnever give up Orthodoxy! angel

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 07:06:41 PM »

I went to Orthodox Liturgy today and it COMPLETLEY erased all of my doubts brought on by tat dream!  I truly love that religion!

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2009, 07:10:01 PM »

IT HAPPENED!  IT HAPPENED!  today I was telling my mother about liturgy today and she told me :"you know, if you ever want to convert, I'm all for it".    YIPPEE!

I am, though, going to wait about 2 weeks before I talk to the priest.

Altar Server
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2009, 07:29:49 PM »

Just be prepared it'll most likely be a slow process

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2009, 07:42:05 PM »

I wonder what the process is...

KevinOrr

Faith: United Methodist

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2009, 09:38:16 PM »

First you have to cut your wrist, then use the blood to sign a special contract.  After that, the fun begins...  Lips Sealed
That's a good one...
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2009, 10:17:10 PM »

Angry I highly doubt that! laugh

Altar Server
High Elder

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2009, 08:30:54 AM »

First you have to cut your wrist, then use the blood to sign a special contract.  After that, the fun begins...  Lips Sealed
That's a good one...

That my be the process for gnostics  Tongue

Anyway trevor it will most likley include alot of readind, prayer, prayer,prayer reading (maybe some fasting) and of course everbody's favorite prayer but this would all be up to your priest because there is no formal process it's just whenever the priest thinks your ready

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2009, 08:52:13 AM »

That's a good one...

That my be the process for gnostics  Tongue

Anyway trevor it will most likley include alot of readind, prayer, prayer,prayer reading (maybe some fasting) and of course everbody's favorite prayer but this would all be up to your priest because there is no formal process it's just whenever the priest thinks your ready

cool!  I have a friend who was baptized into Orthodoxy when she was 10 years old.  I am getting excited to tell my priest!

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2009, 02:09:08 AM »

For our catechumenship, we go through "The Orthodox Church" series.

http://www.oca.org/OCorthfaith.asp?SID=2

Our entire process takes about 9 months +. From what i've heard, this is on the shorter end. In the US, they tend to be around 1 year average and can vary greatly between catechumens.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 02:12:08 AM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2009, 02:15:29 AM »

Yes, you can expect your catechumenate to last 6 months to a year, depending on your parish, and your priest's sense of where you are spiritually.  When I first told a priest that I wanted to convert, he said, "wonderful, but no". At the time I lived far away from any Orthodox parish and he would not let me just "walk the aisle" as it were, I needed to root in a parish and could not do that where I was.  But God opened a door three years later for me.  He will for you to in due season.  There is a spiritual practice among orthodox monastics of "weighing down" enthusiastic new monks. They make them struggle until they learn to live the faith consistently regardless of the highs and lows in their lives...then  the weights come off, and the strength those monks developed in patient obedience over several years, enables them to soar. 

So don't be in a hurry, be present, be prayerful, be proactive...learn, go to catechumen classes, read appropriate texts, let the priest know your interest....if he sees that your interest is genuine and not something that burns out in a few weeks, then he will invite you to become a catechumen, find you some sponsors, and you will be on your way.

May it please God to grant you great grace on your journey,
through the prayers of the blessed Theotokos, the heavenly Bodiless powers, the holy forebearers of God Joakim and Anna, and all God's saints
the unworthy reader seraphim

PS, one resource you might like to examine online is Ancient Faith Radio and some other similar sites. You can hear some great current teachers online, as well as get a taste of orthodox liturgical music from around the world.
Altar Server
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2009, 11:08:09 AM »

Bravo

Altar Server
High Elder

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2009, 07:37:53 PM »

Trevor are you attending the Divine Liturgy on a regular basis ?

Clancy Boy

Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2009, 01:13:45 AM »

I JUST LOVE THESE PEOPLE! (AND THEIR BREAD!)

If you go to a Serbian Orthodox church they have blessed muffins.  Those are good.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 01:14:07 AM by Clancy Boy » Logged
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2009, 07:01:41 PM »

I JUST LOVE THESE PEOPLE! (AND THEIR BREAD!)

If you go to a Serbian Orthodox church they have blessed muffins.  Those are good.

Oh wow those sound great.  Isn't the blessed bread just what's left over after "the Lamb" is cut from the bread offered for the eucharist though?
Pilgrim
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Holy Orthodoxy

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2009, 08:08:59 PM »

I was also convinced I would be Catholic. After about a year of study, I began looking at Traditional groups (particularely the SSPX) and found how much the Catholic Church had changed over the last century and a half, and then from the eleventh century.

Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth help us to walk the way of Life, which is Christ Jesus.

St. Cyril, St. Leo, and St. Severus pray that the Church may be united and one, Eastern and Oriental.St. Issac the Syrian, pray that Assyria would return to the Holy Church. St. Gregory, pray for Rom
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2009, 03:04:47 AM »

Oh wow those sound great.  Isn't the blessed bread just what's left over after "the Lamb" is cut from the bread offered for the Eucharist though?

It depends. In some jurisdiction only Priests are allowed to eat that and the antidorion (blesses bread) is from the loafs that weren't used but had been blessed of course.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2009, 10:54:04 PM »

Trevor are you attending the Divine Liturgy on a regular basis ?

yes, I am.  I try to go every sunday, and make it mostly. Cheesy

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2009, 04:57:25 AM »

How are things going otherwise, Trevor? Have you officially decided to become a catechumen yet?
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2009, 12:11:51 PM »

How are things going otherwise, Trevor? Have you officially decided to become a catechumen yet?

THANKS FOR ASKING! Grin  things are going good.  I ave decided to become a caechumen, but, I still need to tell my priest.  I am thinking of waiting about a week.  I want to make sure that he knows I am sencere.  I am also a bit nervose about telling my friend who drives me there and her granddaughter, I am afraid they won't take me serious Undecided.  what do you think? Huh

GammaRay
The Awful Preacher
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

Alexandros Papadiamantis

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2009, 09:42:54 AM »

Why not? Just talk to them and tell them that you're a teen now and you can decide for yourself concerning such matters. If they disagree, then try to explain them why you chose to convert.

God bless, Trevor!

Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2009, 02:16:13 PM »

Why not? Just talk to them and tell them that you're a teen now and you can decide for yourself concerning such matters. If they disagree, then try to explain them why you chose to convert.

God bless, Trevor!

thank you.  but, my mother and I both feel it would be best if I were to wait.  my parents are getting divorced right now, so it would be easier if I waited until all that was over.  but, I still go to liturgy and LOVE IT!

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2009, 07:55:43 PM »

first, I must say sorry for my lac of activity on here.  I just wanted to let everyone know, I will be starting catechism at mu church.  instead of waiting a year, my priest sys he will convert me now (with classes) because I seem sincere. Cheesy

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2009, 08:39:44 PM »

Tervor

this is funny, last liturgy, the priest said a man once "had a vision" of a saint coming to him, and convinced him that he did not need to go to church, that he need only prey to that saint.  my priest said "if you ever have a vision like this, of a religious person trying to make you strey from the path, there is likely to be a pointy tail in there somewhere".

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2009, 09:15:23 PM »

ok, now I am a bit confused (confused should be my middle name!)  but, I have talked to the priest at my Orthodox church.  we have decided I will attend a catechism class and eventually be christmated.  I feel the Lord has put me on the correct path.  but, lately I have been suffering from depression.  today I went on a historic church tour that my town holds every year.  when I went into "St. Mary's help of Christians Catholic church", I felt the feeling come back to my body.  I even lit a candle in front of a statue of St. John Marie Vianney.  I just fealt such an impulse to do this.  I even picked up a very old rosary from a "free things" table.  I am rather "torn in two".  I have already made plans to start catechism with my Orthodox priest, and my parents have both given their consent.  they are very happy for me.  but, I just feel this deep longing for Catholicism.  I really can't explain it! 

*I am going to post this on the Eastern Orthodox forum and the Roman Catholic forum that I frequently check*  (I realize answers will be bias, but I want to hear both sides' advice)

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2009, 09:18:49 PM »

Trevor, only you can answer the longings that you feel. Only you can take the steps to go in the direction you feel drawn. All I can say is, God go with you on whatever road you choose to take.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2009, 01:27:40 AM »

My advice?  Take your time and PRAY.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2009, 01:48:19 AM »

such good advice!  I know I need to prey, but I feel a bit foolish because I know GOD loves both of these churches.  I just wish he would give me a sign!  again, god advice and thanks, many years!

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2009, 09:42:55 PM »

such good advice!  I know I need to prey, but I feel a bit foolish because I know GOD loves both of these churches.  I just wish he would give me a sign!  again, god advice and thanks, many years!
I would just like to add that I preyed to GOD for a sign as to settle my nerves.  he answered me in a dream.  I drempt that I went to Liturgy and acually took communion with my fellow Orthodox Christians.  I take this as a sign that I WILL be Christmated in the future, so I am on the right path.  GLORY BE TO GOD!

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2010, 12:33:14 AM »

???I have a problem!  this might not be the right subject to post under, but, it is a part of my conversion story.  In studying religions, I have come to Catholicism about 3 times, 2 of which, I was convinsed I wanted to "be catholic". 

well, as I posted above, I went to an Orthodox church and I LOVE IT!  but, I can't help but feel some deep connection to the Roman Catholic church.  for example:

while I was supposed to be changing out of my school uniform, I fell asleep (as I often do)  I slept for 4 hours!  I drempt a devil-worshipper trapped me in a basement and did some sort of ritual, but, I excaped before he could sacrefise me.  I ran to different houses, but he followed me.  finally I came to a Catholic church, and I FELT SUCH COMFORT!  I saw a nun and ran to her and gave her a big hug.  in my dream, the satanist could not enter the church.

I don't know why I didn't dream about an Orthodox church!  I thought Catholicism was behind me, but I still have some psychological "feelings" for it.  this changes my feelings about wanting to convert to orthodoxy.  I don't know if my conviction is "true and pure" with feelings for the Catholic church.

any advice?

(just thought I'd wake up this old post)
I want to point out that I no longer have feelings for Catholicism, as I now know it's not the truth.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2010, 12:36:01 AM »

any advice?

(just thought I'd wake up this old post)
I want to point out that I no longer have feelings for Catholicism, as I now know it's not the truth.
IOW the search ended in finding Truth.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2010, 12:37:45 AM »

it sure did.  it can't end any better than that.  I am so happy!  I'll be recieved into the church in 11 days!

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: