OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 02:05:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dealing with two calendars  (Read 2475 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: August 31, 2009, 04:47:15 AM »

I would like to know if any of you have to deal with two calendars in Parishes, you attend (like parents' Parish and mine Parish or Parish in the city I live and one in the city I work or similar). How do you deal with fasts, feasts?

Since October I'll attend Parish that follows revised-Julian calendar, but my parents' one follows Julian calendar. I will have two Nativities per year. That's a bit strange.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 05:04:58 AM »

My middle daughter's godmother is 17 and attending school during the year at a monastery that is old calendar and our parish is new calendar. She comes to visit during Nativity and starts the fast (new calendar) before all the other ladies and then participates in the other fast (old calendar) as well. That seems like the most polite method of dealing with the situation.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 05:08:54 AM »

Thank you for your answer. I would like to read the others' answers too (if there are any).

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 09:20:42 AM »

Hi Mike,
We sort of deal with this two calendar situation here. My wife's home parish is ACROD on the Julian calendar and my Greek parish is Revised Julian. We support both but as we attend wife's 75% of the time we elected to stay on the Old calendar with the permission of my Greek priest (who I think really likes it). He only asked that I not be too clever and begin a fast on Old and end it on New.  Wink

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 09:24:59 AM »

He only asked that I not be too clever and begin a fast on Old and end it on New.  Wink

Cheesy

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 01:40:54 PM »

So you don't see anything wrong with participating in eg. Nativity Liturgy twice per year, do you?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 03:09:42 PM »

I deal with two calenders.  My parish is Julian Calender but all of my friends are Revised Julian Calender. Not to mention that most of my friends and family celebrate Revised Calender Christmas.  So Jan.7 become a day of reflection and quiet celebration. 

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 03:51:34 PM »

I missed today a Theophany vigil. Normally despite being an old-calendarist I don't mind attendind new-style Parish but celebrating the Theophany a day before the Nativity would be too strange for me.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 04:06:13 PM »

I missed today a Theophany vigil. Normally despite being an old-calendarist I don't mind attendind new-style Parish but celebrating the Theophany a day before the Nativity would be too strange for me.

They were celebrated on the same day at one time and some churches still celebrate them together.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 04:08:42 PM »

They were celebrated on the same day at one time and some churches still celebrate them together.

That is a point Smiley

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 11:11:25 PM »

My family deals with two calendars.  My wife is on the New Calendar and attends an Antiochian parish and I am on the Old Calendar and attend a Serbian parish.  As such, we celebrate both "Santa Claus Day" as we jokingly call it and then celebrate the Nativity of Christ on January 7.  It works out good since we can get all of the secular BS out of the way on secular Christmas, and then seriously prepare for the Nativity which we celebrate as a strictly religious holiday.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 01:07:41 PM »

Do you attend the feasts according to the Old Calendar when you attended them on the New one?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 01:19:33 PM »

Do you attend the feasts according to the Old Calendar when you attended them on the New one?
No, plus work wouldn't let you take off twice during the week to go to the same feast day. 

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 01:23:11 PM »

I have last two weeks of my Summer holidays ;P

@username!: You don't attend because you think it's not necessary or because you think it's a no-no thing?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 12:06:52 PM »

Why would you go to church twice for the same feastday?  Someday, maybe, hopefully soon, they will get rid of the revised Julian and everyone will just stick to the Julian Calender. 

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 12:22:53 PM »

It's a parish feast at my grandmother's Church.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: