OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 03, 2014, 12:42:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Archbishop Yesehaq Interview on Youtube!  (Read 1950 times) Average Rating: 0
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« on: August 31, 2009, 04:16:59 AM »

Finally a chance to see and hear the blessed Abuna Yesehaq! This is a wonderful interview in which he discusses the history and Faith of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, his relationship with the Rastafarians and Bob Marley, and the issue of Abuna Paulos' legitimacy as the Ethiopian Patriarch. The only problem is the annoying interviewer who constantly interrupts the Archbishop and casually shakes his hand at the end of the interview. But what a blessing to watch and hear Abuna Yesehaq in his own words!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfQgpujWdk8

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Hiywot

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahido

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 03:25:32 AM »

Interesting and informative. Thank you Gebre Menfes Kidus!

Hiywot
Pilgrim
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Holy Orthodoxy

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 09:52:18 PM »

Thanks! One thing I never get, why do Ethiopian Orthodox always say that the Ethiopian Church is the oldest? The Mother Church at Jerusalem is the oldest.

Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth help us to walk the way of Life, which is Christ Jesus.

St. Cyril, St. Leo, and St. Severus pray that the Church may be united and one, Eastern and Oriental.St. Issac the Syrian, pray that Assyria would return to the Holy Church. St. Gregory, pray for Rom
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 09:58:46 PM »

Armenians like to say the Armenian Church is the oldest.   Smiley

Pilgrim
Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 10:07:40 PM »

I've heard that too. Everyone knows its the Ukranian Orthodox Church of Canada that is the oldest. Second oldest is the Greek Metropolis of Toronto.

Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth help us to walk the way of Life, which is Christ Jesus.

St. Cyril, St. Leo, and St. Severus pray that the Church may be united and one, Eastern and Oriental.St. Issac the Syrian, pray that Assyria would return to the Holy Church. St. Gregory, pray for Rom
Pilgrim
Elder

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 10:13:40 PM »

Whats the dispute about the Patriarch? I didn't quite understand what the whole story was.

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 10:29:42 PM »

Whats the dispute about the Patriarch? I didn't quite understand what the whole story was.

I'm not sure, but it may refer to a schism which occurred during the days of Communism.  It was briefly discussed here:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,16879.0.html#top

I think just about every Church that existed under a Communist regime suffered a schism.  The Ethiopian Church was no exception.  The Communists made a point of sowing division among Christians wherever they could.  I don't know much about this particular schism, and I don't bother my Ethiopian brothers about it, since I know it is a sort of "family matter" which they need to work out.  I just pray for love and unity to prevail.   Smiley

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 11:16:22 PM »

I don't know all the details, but canon law prohibits a new Patriarch from being elected while the current patriarch is still alive. Abuna Paulos was therefore "illegally" elected since Archbishop Merkurios was still living at the time.

Selam
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 11:16:53 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 11:27:32 PM »

Thanks! One thing I never get, why do Ethiopian Orthodox always say that the Ethiopian Church is the oldest? The Mother Church at Jerusalem is the oldest.

Well, I think this claim stems from the fact that we trace the Church all the way back to Adam and Eve and the Garden of Eden, which included Ethiopia. Ethiopia can trace its spiritual legacy from the Garden of Eden to Solomon and the Queen of Sheba and then to Philip and the Ethiopian eunuch. So in that sense, we claim to be the oldest. But I realize others have legitimate arguments as well. I have often seen the Armenian Church cited as the oldest. But there is really only one Church of which we are all a part, so this should never be something we argue about.

Selam
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 11:42:19 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 11:41:07 PM »

But there is really only one Church of which we are all a part, so this should never be something we argue about.

Amen!

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 10:09:07 PM »

I don't know much of the details, but it seems our Church recognizes Abune Paulos:

http://www.suscopts.org/q&a/index.php?qid=153&catid=135

God bless.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 01:37:07 AM »

I don't know much of the details, but it seems our Church recognizes Abune Paulos:

God bless.

Pretty much everyone except for "The Legitimate Holy Synod of the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church in Exile" recognizes Abune Paulos as the legitimate Patriarch.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 01:45:20 AM »

God bless.

Pretty much everyone except for "The Legitimate Holy Synod of the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church in Exile" recognizes Abune Paulos as the legitimate Patriarch.

These ecclesiastical political matters are beyond the scope of my knowldege. But I do know that my Priest and Godfather was the disciple of Abuna Yesehaq, and I know that Abuna Yesehaq was personally sent here by His Imperial Majesty Emperor Haile Selassie I. Therefore, I trust my Priest and I trust the words of Abuna Yesehaq!

Selam

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 02:04:33 AM »

God bless.

These ecclesiastical political matters are beyond the scope of my knowldege. But I do know that my Priest and Godfather was the disciple of Abuna Yesehaq, and I know that Abuna Yesehaq was personally sent here by His Imperial Majesty Emperor Haile Selassie I. Therefore, I trust my Priest and I trust the words of Abuna Yesehaq!

Selam

I'm not contradicting what you're saying. You're saying that you've been taught that the status of Abune Paulos is illegitimate because Abune Merkorios was still alive when another Patriarch was put in his place. I wasn't saying "you're wrong". I was saying that the rest of the heads of the Oriental Orthodox Churches contradict you and recognize Abune Paulos as the legitimate Patriarch, and thus that the only group who does not recognize Abune Paulos is the group of Ethiopians under Abune Merkorios.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 02:20:44 AM »

God bless.

Selam

I'm not contradicting what you're saying. You're saying that you've been taught that the status of Abune Paulos is illegitimate because Abune Merkorios was still alive when another Patriarch was put in his place. I wasn't saying "you're wrong". I was saying that the rest of the heads of the Oriental Orthodox Churches contradict you and recognize Abune Paulos as the legitimate Patriarch, and thus that the only group who does not recognize Abune Paulos is the group of Ethiopians under Abune Merkorios.

Dear brother,

I am not trying to say who is right and who is wrong. Regardless of who recognizes who, I recognize all my Orthodox Christian brothers as my co-laborers in Christ. And, of course, I have a special love and respect for all of my Non-Chalcedonian brothers who affirm and promote the Tewahedo Faith.

Let us never allow Church politics to distract us from Church teaching!

Selam

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 02:36:51 AM »

Brothers,

Let's just pray for peace and unity for our Tewahedo brethren.  I don't think that discussing this further here will produce any fruit.  Let's just pray that our Lord, in His mercy, will provide a solution to this issue and heal all wounds.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 03:06:17 AM »

Brothers,

Let's just pray for peace and unity for our Tewahedo brethren.  I don't think that discussing this further here will produce any fruit.  Let's just pray that our Lord, in His mercy, will provide a solution to this issue and heal all wounds.

Yes. Amen. We all desire peace and unity.

Selam

Tags: Ethiopian Orthodox Church Rastafarian Rastafarianism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: