OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 08:54:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unusual chotki  (Read 917 times) Average Rating: 0
Orthodox11
Archon

« on: October 10, 2012, 05:39:57 PM »

A friend of mine just got back from his monastery in Ukraine and brought me a rather unusual present (sorry for the bad picture quality).

Anyone seen anything similar before? I thought some of the metal-heads on here might appreciate it.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 05:56:33 PM »

This could well be the infamous "Kali-Chotki", obscure references to which can be found in the fragments of an ancient tantra (written on human skin) which were uncovered in northern India in 1935. From the few details available, scholars speculate that chanting a certain mantra upon the rope- possibly "namo mahakali"- 3,000 times in quick succession would unleash some unspeakable calamity or open some gate. Key to the rope's power is the tiny skull which, while apparently wooden, is in fact the miniaturized skull of the accursed sorcerous tantrika who wove the rope from the hair of his murdered disciples before finally consecrating himself to the hideous relic. After the rest of his cult was massacred by the order of the Raj, the Kali-Chotki disappeared for several centuries until, it was rumored, some wayward monk of Rus', perhaps straining too eagerly for mystical experience, procured it during travels through the Orient. Bringing it to his home monastery, his brother monks quickly recognized the eldritch peril represented by the thing and unceremoniously buried the monk alive with his evil souvenir.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 06:04:52 PM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 06:29:26 PM »

maybe the skull  is symbolic of 'dying to the world".

Proverbs 22:7
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 06:37:55 PM »

This could well be the infamous "Kali-Chotki", obscure references to which can be found in the fragments of an ancient tantra (written on human skin) which were uncovered in northern India in 1935. From the few details available, scholars speculate that chanting a certain mantra upon the rope- possibly "namo mahakali"- 3,000 times in quick succession would unleash some unspeakable calamity or open some gate. Key to the rope's power is the tiny skull which, while apparently wooden, is in fact the miniaturized skull of the accursed sorcerous tantrika who wove the rope from the hair of his murdered disciples before finally consecrating himself to the hideous relic. After the rest of his cult was massacred by the order of the Raj, the Kali-Chotki disappeared for several centuries until, it was rumored, some wayward monk of Rus', perhaps straining too eagerly for mystical experience, procured it during travels through the Orient. Bringing it to his home monastery, his brother monks quickly recognized the eldritch peril represented by the thing and unceremoniously buried the monk alive with his evil souvenir.

FANTASTIC.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 06:38:48 PM »

maybe the skull  is symbolic of 'dying to the world".

I think it's just Golgotha with the Cross on top (like on a schema), with the added bonus of remembrance of death. But Iconodule's take on it is far more interesting, and is definitely what I will tell anyone who might ask in future.
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 07:56:45 AM »

Never seen such prayer rope before! I would agree with Orthodox11 interpretation.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: