OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 12:03:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi, I'm new here  (Read 1868 times) Average Rating: 0
shanmo9

OC.net

« on: November 27, 2003, 10:37:54 AM »

I am so happy I found this board. I am in the process of reading all the posts and want to express my gratitude for all the information.

I am 61 years old, born and baptized a Roman Catholic but have not  attended the RC church in years.  I have been searching for the "right" church for many years and attended many different churches.

I went thru all the "born again" , charismatic, fundalmentalist, evangelical stuff, but really never felt satisfied with their teachings.
I really could never understand why there are so many different denominations and sects, all teaching different doctrine and claiming theirs was "the way".

My prayer has always been, Lord show me Your Way.
Our Lord said he would build His church, ( not churches) and the gates of Hell (or is it Hades?) would not prevail against it.  I have felt very frustrated  and confused.  I had problems with many RC teachings (purgatory, Mary, may God forgive me!, and papal infallibility), because of the association with some of the Protestant churches I attended ( sola scriptura) but I also considered the fact tthat if I were to accept Protestant teaching I would have to admit that the church was in error for the first 15 centuries! I also never felt comfortable with the charimatic movement that was infiltrating the Lutheran church I recently attended.

A few months ago out of frustration I decided to go back in history and began reading about the first and second century fathers.  This was not an easy task,and was leaning twoard the RC church, thinking that is was the church establised by Jesus.  One day while watching EWTN, the Catholic channel, I saw an Othodox priest being interviewed by Mother Angelica!  He give some brief history, explained some of the differences and opened a door for me. I decided to look into the Orthodox Church and did a search on the internet that led me to a couple of Orthodox web sites. Things began to make sense.  I went to one of my local bookstores and found a couple of books, The Orthodox Church by Tomothy Ware- Bishop Kallistos, and Dancing Alone by Frank Shaeffer.

I have been in contact with a wonderful Priest here in Albany,NY who has been availiable to assist me in my journey.  For the last few months, I have been attending services at a local church and soon will be making the decision to move forward with my personal journey.

I thank God that He in His mercy did not give up on me.

John

Lord Jesus Christ have mercy on me a sinner!
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2003, 12:31:15 PM »

John,

Welcome to the forum!  I am glad to hear you are moving towards a fuller communion by joining the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church.  Many others have similar stories, some of which can be found in the Convert Issues board.  If I or any of the administrators/moderators can help, please let us know.  

Again, welcome.  I am sure you will be remembered in many of our prayers.

David

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Karamazov
Elder

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2003, 05:39:31 PM »

Wow, John!  Good for you for not giving up all these years.  Your persistence will not go unrewarded!

Praying that you find spiritual fulfillment in Holy Orthodoxy.  May the Holy Spirit continue to guide you and bring you ever closer to God.
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2003, 02:29:19 PM »

Great post, John.

Welcome.

You will be in my prayers.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Justinianus
Elder

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2003, 02:36:19 PM »

Welcome John.  You have my prayers for help along your spiritual journey.  

Please feel free to ask questions if you have any.

"If we truly think of Christ as our source of holiness, we shall refrain from anything wicked or impure in thought or act and thus show ourselves to be worthy bearers of his name.  For the quality of holiness is shown not by what we say but by what w
Strobert
Strobert

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2003, 12:42:40 AM »

John,

What a delight  Smiley to find your message here.  For some reason I was thinking tonight that it seemed as if most of the people on these boards are so much younger than I am.  And then along comes this message from a 61 year old fellow.  

I'm 57.  I entered the Orthodox church this past Pascha after attending it off and on for some 5 years.  My wife does not share my interest in Orthodoxy, which accounts for the 5 years.  But I came to a point where I could simply not continue to maintain a membership in a Protestant church.  

My first two books of introduction to Orthodoxy were The Orthodox Church and Dancing Alone.  After these came For the Life of the World by Alexander  Schmemann which I highly recommend to you.  Blessings on your journey, and may you, too, soon arrive at home.[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]

St Rupert (Robert) of Salzburg, pray to God for us.
the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2003, 10:52:26 AM »

Vicki - there are some even older than that [sssssssssssh I'm going to spare some blushes and very deliberately not mention names Cheesy ] !!

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2003, 12:22:06 PM »

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH

Hadn't thought of that   :blushing: :blushing:
« Last Edit: November 30, 2003, 12:23:19 PM by the slave » Logged

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
Strobert
Strobert

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2003, 12:36:08 AM »

Vicki,

Thanks for the demographics.  I feel better now.  It's very common that many people don't want their age known. Why is that?  John told us he was 61.  I'm 57, 58 in March.  What's with the embarrassment of age?  

St Rupert (Robert) of Salzburg, pray to God for us.
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2003, 12:48:23 AM »

vicki: LIER! LIAR  we all know you were adams baby sitter!! Tongue

< Grin Cool  John>
« Last Edit: December 01, 2003, 03:55:40 AM by prodromos » Logged

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
shanmo9

OC.net

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2003, 08:14:28 AM »

Wink I really am 61--guess I need to change my profile.
Thanks for all the prayers and welcomes Cheesy

Lord Jesus Christ have mercy on me a sinner!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2003, 11:47:54 PM »

Welcome Shanmo9,

I also converted from Catholicism to Orthodoxy in 1996. The priest required that I read For the Life of the World which was a very good read.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Byzantino
Me Ortodox
Elder

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2003, 12:18:59 AM »

So am I; due to be received into the Church in a few weeks.

Welcome, shanmo.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2003, 12:19:29 AM by Byzantino » Logged
nicodemus

OC.net

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2003, 04:40:17 PM »

Welcome!

Our parish had a 78 year old man convert to Orthodoxy two years ago.  It is never too late.  We've had plenty convert in their late 60s/early 70s.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: