Author Topic: Good Christian Movies  (Read 943 times)

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
Good Christian Movies
« on: March 01, 2016, 01:09:22 AM »
Not limited to Orthodox Christian movies or even "theologically correct" Christian movies, but what are some of your favorite movies with an explicitly Christian theme?

Here are some for starters:

The Apostle: Perhaps Robert Duvall's best work apart from "The Great Santini." This movie is a masterpiece. The simple story of a charismatic evangelical preacher's fall from grace and his struggle to find redemption. This is one of my top 5 favorite movies of all time. 

Ragamuffin: The story of Rich Mullins, the contemporary Christian musician. This movie was very well done. Much better than the majority of "evangelical" Christian films. Simple, honest, true to life, and absent of any heavy handed agenda.

Jesus of Nazareth: Great cast for starters. Replete with accurate biblical references. Wonderfully directed. Yes, it has many flaws; but it's very entertaining and will certainly inspire people to read the Biblical story for themselves.

Barabbas : I'm biased because Anthony Quinn is my favorite actor. But this really is a good movie based on an intriguing theme.

The Passion of the Christ: So much not to like about this movie, but no one can say that it's not a compelling film. Extremely difficult to watch, but not because of bad acting or awful directing. Love it or hate it, this movie is artistically captivating.

Those are just a few for now.

Selam
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 01:12:38 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
"God is a consuming fire. And His fire is love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Online Gamliel

• Protokentarchos
  • "Truth is born as lightning strikes -- Archilochos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
Re: Good Christian Movies
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 01:12:04 AM »
I always watch Jesus of Nazareth when we are approaching Pascha.

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 01:41:41 AM »
I'm a sucker for the old Bible Epics, but that's kind of an acquired taste.  So like superhero films, etc only a few can be whole heartedly be called great.  But I can give some pros about clunkers like The Silver Chalice ( because I'm a sucker for old 50's epics. Ben Hur and The Ten Commandments are the obvious bests.  Jesus of Nazareth is the best on Christ, King of Kings is my favorite.

The Cohen Bros just put a satire out that was kind of about those films (and it had an Orthodox Patriarch in it), the film and the attempt at satire was hit and miss....but the Cohen's are very hit and miss for me anyway.  The scene with The Patriarch was funny though.

I'm suprised you know Barabbas, I thought it was obscure.  I like it, I don't think I'd randomly recommend it to anyone though.

Off the top of my head the unquestionably great are:

The Passion of Joan of Arc (silent), Intolerance (silent), Aur Revoir les Enfants, The Decalogue (Kieslowski), The Bells of St Mary's / Going My Way, Beckett

Great or good in a way, but over rated and/or or not exactly Christian (mileage may vary on how you categorize them):

Life of Brian, Black Narcissus, Andre Rublev and Tree of Life are pretty darn good but a bit pretentious and overly ponderous and plodding, Passion of the Christ I don't like but it is an artistic achievement, A Man For All Seasons (I love it, but it's a bit too earnest), The Gospel of St Matthew (same as Passion of the Christ), Moonstruck, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, It's a wonderful life, The Sound of Music, Bicycle Thieves, On The Waterfront, The Scarlet and The Black, Rudy

I haven't seen Calvary, that may be a good modern film.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 01:46:52 AM by William T »
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

• Merarches
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 01:44:51 AM »
Not limited to Orthodox Christian movies or even "theologically correct" Christian movies, but what are some of your favorite movies with an explicitly Christian theme?

The Apostle: Perhaps Robert Duvall's best work apart from "The Great Santini." This movie is a masterpiece. The simple story of a charismatic evangelical preacher's fall from grace and his struggle to find redemption. This is one of my top 5 favorite movies of all time. 

Ragamuffin: The story of Rich Mullins, the contemporary Christian musician. This movie was very well done. Much better than the majority of "evangelical" Christian films. Simple, honest, true to life, and absent of any heavy handed agenda.

Jesus of Nazareth: Great cast for starters. Replete with accurate biblical references. Wonderfully directed. Yes, it has many flaws; but it's very entertaining and will certainly inspire people to read the Biblical story for themselves.

Barabbas : I'm biased because Anthony Quinn is my favorite actor. But this really is a good movie based on an intriguing theme.

The Passion of the Christ: So much not to like about this movie, but no one can say that it's not a compelling film. Extremely difficult to watch, but not because of bad acting or awful directing. Love it or hate it, this movie is artistically captivating.

Selam

I knew I'd forget some. The Shoes of the Fisherman is one of my favorites. Another one starring Anthony Quinn. Wonderful philosophically and theologically engaging movie. Great one!

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

• Merarches
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 01:46:29 AM »
I'm a sucker for the old Bible Epics, but that's kind of an acquired taste.  So like superhero films, etc only a few can be whole heartedly be called great.  But I can give some pros about clunkers like The Silver Chalice ( because I'm a sucker for old 50's epics. Ben Hur and The Ten Commandments are the obvious bests.  Jesus of Nazareth is the best on Christ, King of Kings is my favorite.

The Cohen Bros just put a satire out that was kind of about those films (and it had an Orthodox Patriarch in it), the film and the attempt at satire was hit and miss....but the Cohen's are very hit and miss for me anyway.  The scene with The Patriarch was funny though.

I'm suprised you know Barabbas, I thought it was obscure.  I like it, I don't think I'd randomly recommend it to anyone though.

Off the top of my head the unquestionably great are:

The Passion of Joan of Arc (silent), Intolerance (silent), Aur Revoir les Enfants, The Decalogue (Kieslowski), The ells of St Mary's / Going My Way, Beckette

Great or good in a way, but over rated and/or or not exactly Christian (mileage may vary on how you categorize them):

Life of Brian, Black Narcissus, Andre Rublev and Tree of Life are pretty darn good but a bit pretentious and overly ponderous and plodding, Passion of the Christ I don't like but it is an artistic achievement, A Man For All Seasons (I love it, but it's a bit too earnest), The Gospel of St Matthew (same as Passion of the Christ), Moonstruck, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, It's a wonderful life, The Sound of Music, Bicycle Thieves, On The Waterfront, The Scarlet and The Black, Rudy

I haven't seen Calvary, that may be a good modern film.

Thanks for the input!

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 01:57:42 AM »
For the record the best War and Peace I'm aware of is the BBC one with Anthony Hopkins.  There is also Dr. Zhivago starring the good Egyptian boy Omar Sharif.   I can not in good conscience recommend Yul Brynner's Brothers Karamazov..though Anastasia was good.  I'm sure the Russians have produced other Russian classics that have Christian themes in TV/ Movie format.  Volnutt mentioned that Flannery O'Connor's "Wise Blood" is a movie, though I haven't seen it.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 01:58:25 AM by William T »
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 02:16:47 AM »
Lord of the Rings - Technically not a Christian movie, but even Peter Jackson recognized that Tolkien's work was fundamentally Christian.
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 02:23:12 AM »
Also:

American Directors who were probably not religious but you can tell were raised with a religious culture:  Franics Ford Coppola, Martin Scorsese, Frank Capra, Alfred Hitchcok.  All their movies contain a lot of religious undertones. 

I may post more later.  One can go on and on about this kind of thing.

Online NicholasMyra

• Merarches
  • You can't pray the grey away
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 03:24:04 AM »
Diary of a Country Priest- my favorite "Christian" movie.

A Serious Man

The Seventh Seal

Life of Brian

Calvary- Gebre, I think you'd especially like this one.

Andrei Rublev

« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 03:29:06 AM by NicholasMyra »
Quote from: Pope Francis
Thank God he said I was a politician because Aristotle defined the human person as 'animal politicus.' So at least I am a human person.

Vote for a Ministry section on OC.net

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 04:13:47 AM »

Same here. My Mom loves Robert Powell.

Online servulus

• Faith: Inquiring
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 08:14:09 AM »
I'm not sure if it has a Christian mesage but I like The Agony and the Ecstasy.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 08:53:32 AM »

Same here. My Mom loves Robert Powell.

It was on Greek TV over Holy Week every year through the 80s and 90s. Every. Single. Year. (Now I have the DVD.)
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline mike

• Filthy Chalcedonian Liar
  • Protostrator
  • Pray for Christians in Radom!
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 11:27:56 AM »
Life of Brian

Anastasia

The Hunchback of Notre Dame

Habemus papam
Pray for orthonorm (Jason)

Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

not everything I typed before [insert current date] may reflect my current views on the subject

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 04:05:24 PM »
The new Les Miserables movie, I think there are a couple older french non musical versions which are good as well.  The original Rocky.  The Three Godfathers (good short story too).  Angels with Dirty Wings.  Maybe the old Dracula and Frankenstein movie.  Maybe the Exorcist.  Song of Bernadette.

I haven't seen it, but maybe Spotlight.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 04:27:43 PM by William T »

Offline mike

• Filthy Chalcedonian Liar
  • Protostrator
  • Pray for Christians in Radom!
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 04:06:25 PM »
Blues Brothers
Sister Act
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 04:07:15 PM by mike »
Pray for orthonorm (Jason)

Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

not everything I typed before [insert current date] may reflect my current views on the subject

Offline TheTrisagion

• Delusional Overlord
  • Hoplitarches
  • And the cat is back again.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 04:34:27 PM »
Very few of these ever crossed my mind as being Christian.

I really liked the movie Of Gods and Men
The term planet earth is an innovation which has arisen in recent centuries with the error of heliocentrism.

If one wants to confess a pure doctrine of Orthodoxy, they should be careful not to refer to the earth as a planet, unlike the current Pope as well as Patriarch Kirill and Patriarch Bartholomew, who regularly speak in error when they refer to our planet earth.

Offline Iconodule

• Professor of Cryptopatristics at Miskatonic University
  • Merarches
  • Monsters from the Id
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2016, 05:07:03 PM »
Sister Act

Check out David Cronenberg's gritty remake, A History of Violence.

• Merarches
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2016, 05:07:54 PM »

Selam

I knew I'd forget some. The Shoes of the Fisherman is one of my favorites. Another one starring Anthony Quinn. Wonderful philosophically and theologically engaging movie. Great one!

Selam

The Nun's Story with Audrey Hepburn is very good.

Selam
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 05:08:56 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline wgw

• Addicted to liturgical music
  • Protokentarchos
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2016, 05:33:49 PM »
One film which while not specifically Christian, and while only vaguely related to the OT, that stirs up feelings of piety in me, is The Land of the Pharoahs.  The idea of religious devotion, although misdirected, and the Coptic or Egyptian lyrics in the score, are moving; a Greek Orthodox actor played the high priest.  I felt as though this film expressed the universal hope for Resurrection which the Egyptians piously had for thousands of years before Christ, a hope which was fulfilled by oir Lord.

The Egyptian Army, including a great many Copts, provided the extras.

Online servulus

• Faith: Inquiring
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2016, 09:20:29 AM »
I really enjoyed The Secret of Kells.

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
    • USCJ
  • Faith: Jewish(Conservative)
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2016, 09:44:37 AM »

Selam

Selam

The Nun's Story with Audrey Hepburn is very good.

Selam
And was based on a true story: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Louise_Habets
Trivia: that was the movie Bruce Wayne's were going to see when they were shot by a mugger.
Proverbs 22:7