Author Topic: How is this prayer book?  (Read 554 times)

Offline ConfusedRC

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
How is this prayer book?
« on: February 28, 2016, 08:16:55 AM »
Hello everyone,

I would like to order a prayer book, but I am somewhat limited because I can only order from Amazon (I live in Vietnam and get a deal on Amazon shipping).

Would you recommend this prayer book?

http://www.amazon.com/Prayer-Book-Holy-Trinity-Monastery/dp/0884651754/ref=pd_sim_14_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=510lLFILN6L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR112%2C160_&refRID=05B1V48R0Q7VGE5T8365

Thank you.
I am no longer a "confused Roman Catholic" as I joined the Orthodox Church in April 2016.

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
Re: How is this prayer book?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 10:09:02 AM »
The particular prayer book you linked to is pretty much the standard prayer book of ROCOR.  It is a traditional prayer book with longer prayer rules.  Not everyone in ROCOR uses it, of course.

I am more familiar with "A Prayer Book for Orthodox Christians" published by Holy Transfiguration Monastery and the "Old Rite Prayer Book."

All three prayer books are somewhat popular.

Offline ConfusedRC

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 07:59:50 PM »
The particular prayer book you linked to is pretty much the standard prayer book of ROCOR.  It is a traditional prayer book with longer prayer rules.  Not everyone in ROCOR uses it, of course.

I am more familiar with "A Prayer Book for Orthodox Christians" published by Holy Transfiguration Monastery and the "Old Rite Prayer Book."

Thank you :)
I am no longer a "confused Roman Catholic" as I joined the Orthodox Church in April 2016.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 08:20:46 PM »
Until you can get a hard copy, there are also several prayer books available in electronic format, for free or very cheaply. This one (alternative edition here) is free to download and print. If you don't mind reading on a screen, I can recommend this one and this one (which follow the Russian tradition, like the Jordanville), as well as this one (GOA standard, using more modern language).
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 01:56:56 AM »

Thank you :)

You are welcome! 

Arcahne has some good advice/resources posted.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 01:59:20 AM by IXOYE »

Offline ConfusedRC

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 09:37:16 AM »
Until you can get a hard copy, there are also several prayer books available in electronic format, for free or very cheaply. This one (alternative edition here) is free to download and print. If you don't mind reading on a screen, I can recommend this one and this one (which follow the Russian tradition, like the Jordanville), as well as this one (GOA standard, using more modern language).

Thank you!