OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 04:11:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HH Karekin II opens a new water system and blesses the water  (Read 1355 times) Average Rating: 0
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« on: August 28, 2009, 10:03:03 PM »

Imagine drinking water from a water system blessed by the Catholicos.   Smiley

http://www.armenianchurch.net/news/index.php

ARTASHAT WATER SUPPLY PROJECT BRINGS SAFE DRINKING WATER TO ARMENIA’S ARARAT REGION THANKS TO EFFORTS OF USAID, FAR

On Wednesday, August 26, His Holiness Karekin II, the Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of All Armenians, conducted a water blessing ceremony in the village of Qaghtsrashen, where church leaders and government officials gathered to celebrate the completion of the Artashat Water Supply Project – a water distribution system that will serve the town of Artashat and 27 surrounding villages in Armenia’s Ararat region.

Attending the ceremony were Archbishop Khajag Barsamian, President of the Fund for Armenian Relief and Primate of the Eastern Diocese; Marie L. Yovanovitch, U.S. Ambassador to the Republic of Armenia; Hovik Abrahamian, Speaker of Armenia’s National Assembly; and other clergy and dignitaries.

The Artashat Water Supply Project was financed by a $3.16 million grant from United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and executed by the Fund for Armenian Relief (FAR) in cooperation with the government of Armenia.

His Holiness Karekin II thanked USAID, the U.S. government, FAR, and the faithful of the Eastern Diocese for helping realize this project. With Archbishop Barsamian, Ambassador Yovanovitch, and Speaker Abrahamian, His Holiness cut the ribbon symbolizing the official opening of the new water system and proceeded to bless the water.

“For us, today’s ribbon-cutting is an example of the obstacles that can be overcome, and the great goals that can be achieved, through collaborative effort, intelligent use of resources and expertise, and an atmosphere of mutual trust and openness,” said Archbishop Barsamian.

Over the course of two years, crews cleaned and restored two existing reservoirs and added a third 4,000-cubic-meter reservoir, bringing the system’s total reservoir capacity to 8,000 cubic meters of water.

Work also involved the installation of nearly 50 kilometers of water mains and lines, which will make it possible to distribute clean drinking water from Garni sources to some 100,000 people living in the Ararat region.

The new water system, which will be managed by the Armenian Water Company, will eliminate the need to pump water from local wells – a practice that was both unsafe and inefficient.

“I am confident that the project will significantly improve the health and well-being of people in this area,” said Ambassador Yovanovitch, “and will support the government of Armenia in its efforts to foster economic development of the regions outside of Yerevan.”

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 10:04:54 PM »

Here is a picture of him from the article, blessing the water:

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 10:48:36 PM »

I read from some RC source that they teach that if blessed water is diluted into "normal water", such that the blessed water constitutes less than 50% of the solution that the other water does not become blessed.

I kind of doubt Orthodox people would be interested in such rational gymnastics around holy things, but this thread made me think of it.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 10:53:50 PM »

Interesting.  I don't think we're as legalistic as that.  I've heard that if you add ordinary water to blessed water, it is all blessed, but I've never heard it spoken of in percentages or portions.  In fact, I've always been under the impression that even a little blessed water added to a larger amount makes the whole thing blessed.  I could be wrong though.  It's not like I could point to a written source, or anything.

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 06:48:24 AM »

I've been told by my priest that holy things sanctify ordinary things, and ordinary things do not corrupt holy things. So blessed water would bless ordinary water if it comes in contact with it. We should be careful with our holy things, but we're not going to worry too much if some holy water accidentally is spilled into some ordinary water. More blessed water for all!

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 02:36:02 PM »

Is there a distributor in Armenia to bring the blessed water as bottled water to the US, if there is a surplus?
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 04:00:51 PM »

I've never heard of that.  What happens, though, is every seven years when the Catholicos blesses muron (holy oil,) the muron is distributed to churches throughout the world, and priests at their parishes will use the muron to bless water for their congregations, like at Christmas time.

SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 04:44:47 PM »

I was thinking along the lines of selling Armenian bottled water (if such a term exists).  The Greeks and others sell bottled water in the USA.  I apologize for not being more specific.   angel
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 04:56:41 PM »

I haven't seen it.  Armenian brandy is popular, though.   Smiley

EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 05:04:22 AM »

I've been told by my priest that holy things sanctify ordinary things, and ordinary things do not corrupt holy things. So blessed water would bless ordinary water if it comes in contact with it.

Indeed. Isn't this the rationale underlying the popular Orthodox Epiphany tradition of taking the water sanctified during the Rite of the Blessing of the Waters and using it to bless a local body of water? In Egypt, until recently (19th century or so) Copts used to bless the Nile River with the sanctified waters of the Epiphany service.

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 05:05:31 AM »

Here is a picture of him from the article, blessing the water:

Cute girl  Smiley

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 11:16:18 AM »

She's wearing a rather nice example of the traditional Armenian costume:

http://www.hyeetch.nareg.com.au/culture/textile_p4.html

Tags: Armenian Church blessed water Holy Water 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: