OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 10:01:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: End of Fast Traditions/ Habits?  (Read 544 times) Average Rating: 0
Liz
High Elder

Faith: Church of England

« on: August 28, 2009, 06:20:26 PM »

So, what I was wondering was how do you all mark the ends of fasts - other than going to church? I mean family traditions, habits, customs you just like - that sort of thing. In the UK, and on the Old Calendar, there's about 45 minutes left until the Assumption of the Virgin, because apparently, although there isn't a church service until morning, the fast ends at midnight tonight.

I'm baking sweet bread with cardamom and cinnamon (and lots of butter and milk that we've been missing!) It's 23.15, so hopefully it will be cool enough to eat in time! I believe there may also be a bottle of nice wine, which Himself bought and of which, naturally, I have no knowledge, in the fridge ...

So, tell: what do you like to do?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 06:21:58 PM by Liz » Logged
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 06:42:29 PM »

For us, the fast ends at the Liturgy. Tomorrow may not be a fast day, but you still need to fast from midnight until you finish Liturgy. Don't give up; you've made it this far, and the feast is almost here!

At times when my wife is not pregnant, we usually celebrate with a bottle of mead and a good steak from my in-laws' farm.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 08:35:50 PM »

Hmm.  Never noticed: today for us is a fast day. The Beheading of St. John (btw, I like the Carpathian tradition of not eating off a plate on that day).  Never even noticed that Old Calendar was Dormition.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Liz
High Elder

Faith: Church of England

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 05:47:22 AM »

Hmm.  Never noticed: today for us is a fast day. The Beheading of St. John (btw, I like the Carpathian tradition of not eating off a plate on that day).  Never even noticed that Old Calendar was Dormition.

I can't decide if that tradition is macabre or not! But yes, I smile.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: