OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 01:59:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A.D. 381: Heretics, Pagans and the Christian State  (Read 997 times) Average Rating: 0
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: August 28, 2009, 03:32:09 PM »

I noticed this a while ago at a local bookstore.  I was just wondering if there has been any real Orthodox reaction to this publication?  Freeman asserts that Emperor Theodosius actually issued the following degree prior to the Second Ecumenical Council:

We authorize followers of this law to assume the title of orthodox Christians; but as for the others since, in our judgment, they are foolish madmen, we decree that they shall be branded with the ignominious names of heretics.

After the persecution of the heretics began, the Church scrambled to issue a degree that would conform to the imperial edict, as She could not withstand the power of the emperor.  I haven't read the book yet.  It sounds as if there could be a lot of holes in the author's argument, but it does sound like an interesting book.

As anyone on here read it, and if so, any thoughts?
Pilgrim
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Holy Orthodoxy

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 04:03:00 PM »

I saw the same book. I didn't look through it though. Is this book anti-Orthodox (in the sense that it claims that they destroyed all other true versions of christianity, etc) in aany way?

Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth help us to walk the way of Life, which is Christ Jesus.

St. Cyril, St. Leo, and St. Severus pray that the Church may be united and one, Eastern and Oriental.St. Issac the Syrian, pray that Assyria would return to the Holy Church. St. Gregory, pray for Rom
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 05:03:47 PM »

I saw the same book. I didn't look through it though. Is this book anti-Orthodox (in the sense that it claims that they destroyed all other true versions of christianity, etc) in aany way?

I believe I've seen words to that effect whether on this forum or simply reading the jacket at my local bookstore.
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 06:30:51 PM »

Yes, it is anti-Orthodox.  But I'm still interested in understanding the perspective.  Truth will remain True either way.  We don't have to be frightened by alternative perspectives.  If what we believe is true, it will withstand all scrutiny.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 07:37:19 PM »

I'm getting tired of seeing books like that all over the place.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 01:22:49 AM »

Do you really thing they should be so readily dismissed?  If so, why?
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 01:49:42 AM »

Do you really thing they should be so readily dismissed?  If so, why?

It's not so much that the idea itself is ridiculous and without any merit to the point that it should not even be considered. What I find annoying and bothersome is that most people are espousing it as a fad simply because they see it as a useful tool to make another jab at Christianity, particularly institutional Christianity. Kind of like Zeitgeist (except that itself actually had no merit).

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 02:02:01 AM »

I noticed this a while ago at a local bookstore.  I was just wondering if there has been any real Orthodox reaction to this publication?  Freeman asserts that Emperor Theodosius actually issued the following degree prior to the Second Ecumenical Council:

We authorize followers of this law to assume the title of orthodox Christians; but as for the others since, in our judgment, they are foolish madmen, we decree that they shall be branded with the ignominious names of heretics.

After the persecution of the heretics began, the Church scrambled to issue a degree that would conform to the imperial edict, as She could not withstand the power of the emperor. 

If that's his argument, its a dumb one.

Yes, Theodosios issued that edict. The rest of the edict explicitely states that the Creed of Popes Damasus of Rome and Peter of Alexandria (both Orthodox) is the criteria of the state Creed.

As not being able to withstand the emperor, he should read about what happened when St. Ambrose of Milan (another Orthodox, who had combated the Arians) excommunicated Theodosius.

I haven't read the book yet.  It sounds as if there could be a lot of holes in the author's argument, but it does sound like an interesting book.

As anyone on here read it, and if so, any thoughts?

If you have described his arguement acurately, he has only holes, no substance, to his argument.  I prefer my fiction straight.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 02:03:00 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 02:13:55 AM »

Well, if I end up reading it, I might bring up any concerns the book raises.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: