OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 08:02:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I am an Ulster Scot, therefore I love...  (Read 3801 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: August 27, 2009, 09:05:36 PM »

... Lámh Dhearg Uladh (The Red Hand of Ulster)

... Dún na nGall;  Donegal-  My family's ancient homeland

... The Donegal Countryside

... The Donegal Coastline

... Being A Very Proud Member

... A Little Bit 'O Chieftains

... A Little Bit 'O Piping

A Famous Ulster-Scot American President

A Famous Ulster-Scot American General ... And Relative!

... The Scottish St. Andrew

... The Irish Tri-Color

... The Family Tartan

... Stone Crosses

... Sword Dances

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 09:53:21 PM »

Pretending to be Irish, and for that ye shall die.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 10:40:30 PM »

Pucker up; you're about to kiss a claidheamh mòr.  Cheesy

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 08:41:54 AM »

... Studying my Ulster-Scot Heritage & History

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 11:26:14 PM »

St. Andrew

And St. Patrick

... never giving up.

In Short, the Best of both Scotland and Ireland!

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 12:57:05 AM »

... Giant's Causeway

... building murals of Northern Ireland

... castles

... castles

... and did I mention the castles?

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 02:18:00 AM »

...nothing about the Queen.  Smiley

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 12:45:01 AM »

The Southern connection.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 12:49:21 AM »

George Washington- Although not of Ulster-Scots blood, he admired there ferocity in the Colonial Army.

Theodore Roosevelt, James Buchanan, Andrew Jackson...

From Pioneers to Presidents!

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 12:57:13 AM »

Bill Monroe, the Father of bluegrass, summed it thusly, ""Scottish bagpipes and ole-time fiddlin'."

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 01:13:00 AM »

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 01:15:37 AM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 01:23:03 AM »

Gabriel, are you related to the only American general ever to challenge Thomas Jackson for the position of best General in US History?

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 01:45:11 AM »

You forgot to add that most Ulster Scots readily left both Ulster and Scotland. 

Also, Lowlanders didn't wear kilts and they haven't spoken Gaelic for half a millennium, and they sure didn't speak it in Ulster.

What do they like? Fighting things.  The Pashtun of the Anglosphere.  Hillbillwali FTW!

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 02:12:41 AM »

I didn't forget to mention that because it's not relevant to the thread.

Also, Lowlanders didn't wear kilts and they haven't spoken Gaelic for half a millennium, and they sure didn't speak it in Ulster.
Who said they did?  And though the vast majority of Scots-Irish are of Lowlander stock, there were quite a few kilt-wearing, Gaelic-speaking families who did migrate to Ulster and then on to America.  The thread is about Scots-Irish and not simply the Lowlanders.  Wink

What do they like? Fighting things.  The Pashtun of the Anglosphere.  Hillbillwali FTW!
They don't suffer fools' mouthiness, that's for sure.  A great American general of Scots-Irish blood once said, "Americans love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle. ~George S. Patton.  Maybe he was speaking of Americans with Scots-Irish blood.

And though a great many Scots-Irish reside in the Appalachian and Ozark regions, there are arguably three times as many who do not.  

Y'all are invited to add positive, factual information to this thread.  If you have neither of the twain, please sit on your hands.  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 02:36:33 AM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 02:24:53 AM »

Gabriel, are you related to the only American general ever to challenge Thomas Jackson for the position of best General in US History?
Indeed.  But distantly...

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 03:18:16 AM »

Freedom and Independence!  

"The Scotch-Irish were generally ardent supporters of American Independence from Britain in the 1770s. In Pennsylvania, Virginia, and most of the Carolinas, support for the revolution was "practically unanimous." One Hessian officer said, "Call this war by whatever name you may, only call it not an American rebellion; it is nothing more or less than a Scotch Irish Presbyterian rebellion." A British major general testified to the House of Commons that "half the rebel Continental Army were from Ireland".  Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, with its large Scotch-Irish population, was to make the first declaration for independence from Britain in the Mecklenburg Declaration of 1775.

The Scotch-Irish "Overmountain Men" of Virginia and North Carolina formed a militia which won the Battle of Kings Mountain in 1780, resulting in the British abandonment of a southern campaign, and for some historians "marked the turning point of the American Revolution"

For those who like historical fiction, you might enjoy a movie called "The Patriot" starring Mel Gibson and based on several Scots-Irish Americans.  

"If all else fails, I will retreat up the valley of Virginia, plant my flag on the Blue Ridge, rally round the Scotch-Irish of that region and make my last stand for liberty amongst a people who will never submit to British tyranny whilst there is a man left to draw a trigger." ~ George Washington
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 03:24:14 AM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 04:43:42 AM »

What do they like? Fighting things.  The Pashtun of the Anglosphere.  Hillbillwali FTW!

I know for my ancestors that they were persecuted and forced to leave their homes in Scotland because their lands were given to another clan, and most of the clan was slaughtered by the prince.

As to kilts and Gaelic... meh. The kilt, while being noted for originating as Highland wear, has become a national dress (dress as in attire, not dress as in "oh, look that guy is wearing a skirt") for Scotland because wearing of the tartan was outlawed. When that was repealed a lot of people took to wearing the kilt as a symbol of national pride. Also, many people identifying as having roots in the ancient Celtic Nations (Welsh, Cornish, Breton) have taking to wearing kilts.

Gaelic, at one point in time, may have been widely spoken through out all of Scotland. It was the official language of the court until it was changed to French to seem more... modern (this was back in the day [which was a tuesday] when the French were deemed cool and hip). Many ancient place names throughout the Highlands and Lowlands are Gaelic. Who cares if Gaelic fell into misuse in the Lowlands due to their geographic location next to England (also, politics)? The fact remains that it was spoken there. Also, shouldn't we be more concerned about the fact that Gaelic is close to being considered a dead language (because it was oppressed, kids actually got beat if they spoke it in school), instead of this person or that person spoke it?

I know that for a long time (and still to this day) there was an animosity between Highlanders and Lowlanders. It was almost like having two nations rolled into one. But they kind of got over that when both the lowlands and the highlands were so heavily oppressed by the English (until today where they have gone back to hating each other, it's what we do best, and also explains why my wife and i fight so much... though there is a certain beauty a very mad Celtic woman possesses, a deadly, deadly beauty).

There used to be a philosophy that it didn't matter if you were a Viking, a Celt, Scottish, French, or what have you (aside from English) if you spoke Gaelic you were accepted as a Gael, and into Gaelic culture. Some people are trying to bring that back by reviving the Gaelic language, because lets face it, cultures are united through a common language (which is probably why Esperanto became such a popular language to use for business seeing as how it is made up of different European languages, making it fairly easy to learn and then communicate).

My sources: I read books that are very obviously biased towards the opinions I hold for the Scottish people, because who cares what the evil, oppressive English have to say about anything?

Note: The above line is sarcasm, because whenever I explain my position on things Scottish I always get asked for sources, and when I site those sources I always get told that they are biased. Well, who doesn't honestly have an opinion that has some bias? And really, who cares what the English have to say*?

*no offense meant to any of our wonderful English members (or those descendants of the English), it was just a joke, so please keep your knickers un-bunched.

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 06:40:27 AM »

The beauty of Mount Errigal, Inishowen, the Rosses, and Malin Head, the culture of Gweedore, the Annals of the Four Masters, the beaches at Bundoran (to say nothing of the fish and chips there)  ...

The birthplaces of my Scots-Irish and Norman Irish grandparents in Newtown Cunningham, St Johnstown, and Moville ...

Donegal must be experienced to truly appreciate it.

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 12:17:14 PM »

Very well stated, dcommini!  You, and others, might also enjoy reading from this Ulster-Scots blog re: Tartans, specifically the Ulster Tartan. 

http://clydesburn.blogspot.com/2009/03/objections-to-ulster-scots-part-one_11.html

Mr. Thompson (who was born, raised and still resides in Northern Ireland) cites many examples.  One of which is a press clipping of 1968;

'Press clipping from 4 November 1968, reporting on the "Fashions in Fabrics from Ulster" exhibition in London which was opened by the Duchess of Kent. The article refers to the famous Ulster tartan which was found on the Dickson farm at Flanders townland near Dungiven - I have visited the farm, and have met the man who as a small boy made the discovery. I have also seen and held fragments of the fabric (these really should be DNA tested to identify the breed of sheep the wool came from) - the article concludes by saying "...it is known that tartan cloth was woven in Ulster during the 17th century by the Ulster Scots..."'

Indeed, my family, originally spelled as 'ó Peatain', has several tartans.  Our Ulster homeland, Country Donegal, has it's own tartan as well.  In fact, I'm fairly certain that most Irish counties have their own tartans as well. 

dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 12:31:37 PM »

Very well stated, dcommini!  You, and others, might also enjoy reading from this Ulster-Scots blog re: Tartans, specifically the Ulster Tartan. 

http://clydesburn.blogspot.com/2009/03/objections-to-ulster-scots-part-one_11.html

Mr. Thompson (who was born, raised and still resides in Northern Ireland) cites many examples.  One of which is a press clipping of 1968;

'Press clipping from 4 November 1968, reporting on the "Fashions in Fabrics from Ulster" exhibition in London which was opened by the Duchess of Kent. The article refers to the famous Ulster tartan which was found on the Dickson farm at Flanders townland near Dungiven - I have visited the farm, and have met the man who as a small boy made the discovery. I have also seen and held fragments of the fabric (these really should be DNA tested to identify the breed of sheep the wool came from) - the article concludes by saying "...it is known that tartan cloth was woven in Ulster during the 17th century by the Ulster Scots..."'

Indeed, my family, originally spelled as 'ó Peatain', has several tartans.  Our Ulster homeland, Country Donegal, has it's own tartan as well.  In fact, I'm fairly certain that most Irish counties have their own tartans as well. 

Many European countries, and America, have their own tartans as well. Germany, Italy, Wales, France (IIRC), and a few others. When I "researched" some of those I found out that those countries have tartans because some influential Scottish ex-pat who resided therein.

Also, thanks for the link, very informative.

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 12:55:02 PM »

How did anyone not mention St. Colm Cille/Columba?

As far as politics go, I don't care. I have Irish ancestors, I have Scottish ancestors, and I have ancestors who were Irish Scots that moved to Scotland, and and their children moved back to Ireland and became Scots Irish. They were all Gaidheal/Gaeil in the end.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 12:55:21 PM by Jason.Wike » Logged
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 01:10:44 PM »

I have Irish ancestors, I have Scottish ancestors, and I have ancestors who were Irish Scots that moved to Scotland, and and their children moved back to Ireland and became Scots Irish. They were all Gaidheal/Gaeil in the end.

The Scoti were an Irish tribe that migrated to what is now called Scotland.  Smiley  Along with Vikings and French.  The original inhabitants, the Picts, were assimilated into that mix. 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 01:13:31 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 01:27:44 PM »

Indeed.  But distantly...

That is very interesting!

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 02:59:04 PM »

Y'all are invited to add positive, factual information to this thread.  If you have neither of the twain, please sit on your hands.  Smiley

I thought the thread was "I am an Ulster Scot, therefore I love..." which I mistakenly tried to add factual information to.  I'll post correctly in the "Ulster Scots are awesome because..."

My overall point is that there are reasons Ulster Scots in America or other places didn't/don't know or care that much about their heritage.  Maybe the new interest is a good thing. Gear to sell? 
To continue my amazing Pashtun analogy, including real Scots Irish in a pan-Celto lovefest is similar to a Jadran Pashtun being proud of his Afghanistan.

As to kilts and ethno-pride, what is it with the Orthodox proclivity to LARP?

I'm making friends, Ulster Scot style...  Smiley   Tyrone and Antrim Co. for my Ulster stock. I still remember ol' granny in her rockin' chair knitting my first balaclava.   angel police

That said, something dear to me:

Helen's Tower
Bangor, Ulster, UK

Ulster Tower, Thiepval, France   

Vamrat mentioned it but Nevermind the Andrew... Here's the real Jackson

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 03:17:23 PM »

Having been trained in the habits of the "Scots-Irish", this thread represents nothing of their interests.

If you want honesty, I'll gladly post what "Displaced Appalachia", the PC term used around here for "Scots-Irish", are truly interested in.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2012, 03:22:51 PM »

Having been trained in the habits of the "Scots-Irish", this thread represents nothing of their interests.

If you want honesty, I'll gladly post what "Displaced Appalachia", the PC term used around here for "Scots-Irish", are truly interested in.

+1

I still liked my balaclava comment though.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2012, 03:27:35 PM »

+1

Have to go back and look. Didn't know they enjoyed such Orthodox pastries so much.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012, 03:40:36 PM »

In the book Balkan Ghosts, Robert Kaplan talks about speaking with a Serbian Abbess who asks him where he's from.  "America", he answered.  "I know that," she replied, "But everyone in America is from somewhere else." 

Indeed.  We're all descendants of immigrants so why should it be found odd to want to know the culture, customs, language and mores of those whom we're descendants of?  Actually, it isn't odd at all.  Case in point, Genealogy is BIG business.  Ancestry.com continues to grow it's membership on a daily clip.  Almost every ethnicity in America is represented in hyphenated form: Italian-Americans, German-Americans, Chinese-American, Irish-Americans, etc...  Unique to Orthodoxy?  Hardly.  LARPing?  Hardly.  People wanna know where they came from; they're intensely proud of their ancestry. 

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2012, 03:45:12 PM »

"Having been trained in the habits of the "Scots-Irish" of Appalachian heritage, I'll gladly post what they are truly interested in, even though I realize that they do not represent all regions of "Scots-Irish" interests."

Fixed it for you.  Now you may proceed, penguin. 

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2012, 03:56:31 PM »

In the book Balkan Ghosts, Robert Kaplan talks about speaking with a Serbian Abbess who asks him where he's from.  "America", he answered.  "I know that," she replied, "But everyone in America is from somewhere else." 

Indeed.  We're all descendants of immigrants so why should it be found odd to want to know the culture, customs, language and mores of those whom we're descendants of?  Actually, it isn't odd at all.  Case in point, Genealogy is BIG business.  Ancestry.com continues to grow it's membership on a daily clip.  Almost every ethnicity in America is represented in hyphenated form: Italian-Americans, German-Americans, Chinese-American, Irish-Americans, etc...  Unique to Orthodoxy?  Hardly.  LARPing?  Hardly.  People wanna know where they came from; they're intensely proud of their ancestry. 

But if you are generations removed from the old country, don't speak the old language natively and otherwise have no real ties, what is wrong with simply being American? 
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2012, 04:03:22 PM »

But if you are generations removed from the old country, don't speak the old language natively and otherwise have no real ties, what is wrong with simply being American? 

My answer?  Nothing.  But for a more complete answer, you'll need to consult all the other 'heritage' groups...

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2012, 04:05:17 PM »

+1

Have to go back and look. Didn't know they enjoyed such Orthodox pastries so much.

Cheesy

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2012, 04:05:57 PM »

Do you wear jeans?  Are you a miner?  

The use of the acronym LARP on this site has sucked most meaning out of it.  Most of you people who use it have never even met a true LARPer in life and just like to throw that term around like it's some catchall when it really only applies to a select few.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 04:07:08 PM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2012, 04:20:43 PM »

Indeed.  We're all descendants of immigrants or colonists, or Red Injuns

so why should it be found odd to want to know the culture, customs, language and mores of those whom we're descendants of?

Agreed, but don't make up or confuse cultures while claiming to learn about them.  A black American friend of mine always claimed his interest in Ethiopia was "getting back to his roots."  Lacking tact, I pointed out that he was not likely from Ethiopia, or even that side of the continent.

My point is that most Americans are not nobility, don't have real family crests or tartans.  Much of the tartan craze was made up by the Victorian English anyway. See Vestiarium Scotium and Royal Patronage and the Tartan Craze

Actually, it isn't odd at all.  Case in point, Genealogy is BIG business.  Ancestry.com continues to grow it's membership on a daily clip.  Almost every ethnicity in America is represented in hyphenated form: Italian-Americans, German-Americans, Chinese-American, Irish-Americans, etc...  Unique to Orthodoxy?  Hardly.  LARPing?  Hardly.  People wanna know where they came from; they're intensely proud of their ancestry.

All of this exists because people, particularly the Scots Irish, didn't always care or know about their histories.  You're absolutely right about it not being limited to Orthodoxy though.  Are people intensely proud of their ancestry, or an imagined ancestry?  If so, why?  I'm just saying, a lot of these connections seem forced.  Maybe that's natural and understandable in a country like the US.

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2012, 04:29:21 PM »

Yeah, cause wearing jeans or a kilt is pretty much the same.  Both have become staples of Western and American attire and separated/evolved from their original use.  

The use of the acronym LARP on this site has sucked most meaning out of it.  Most of you people who use it have never even met a true LARPer in life and just like to throw that term around like it's some catchall when it really only applies to a select few.

Pretty much agreed, although I find it odd that accusations of LARPing an Orthodox lifestyle are usually fine and applauded on this site, but pointing out the oddness of dressing like a highlander, viking, or elf is misguided and judgmental.

Edit to Add: For the record, I did enjoy Born Fighting, but I also recognized it for what it is: an interesting narrative of an odd people who are frequently overlooked or misidentified. 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 04:34:54 PM by Cognomen » Logged

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2012, 04:40:42 PM »

Yeah, cause wearing jeans or a kilt is pretty much the same.  Both have become staples of Western and American attire and separated/evolved from their original use.  

As has a kilt.  Even if you accept Trevor-Roper's theory that an Englishman invented it for his Scottish millworkers, it was, first and foremost, cheap work attire.  The Victorians turned it into more formalwear.  Late 20th-Early 21st century Americans/Canadians have turned it into every day attire that can be dressed up or down depending on one's proclivities.

Fashion changes.  Your grandfather's generation would be absolutely appalled to see anyone wearing denim as anything other than labor attire, yet, as you pointed out, it's separated/evolved from its original use.  

For some people, a kilt, especially its more modern takes as made by Freedom Kilts and Utilikilts are evolving the style of the original Scottish kilt much like fashion designers in the 80s and 90s moved the denim jean away from its rough and tumble origins into more "higher class" areas of acceptability.

The use of the acronym LARP on this site has sucked most meaning out of it.  Most of you people who use it have never even met a true LARPer in life and just like to throw that term around like it's some catchall when it really only applies to a select few.

Pretty much agreed, although I find it odd that accusations of LARPing an Orthodox lifestyle are usually fine and applauded on this site, but pointing out the oddness of dressing like a highlander, Viking, or elf is misguided and judgmental.

The vat majority of casual kiltwearers generally do not 'dress like highlanders' for everyday attire.  They simply wear a garment that they find comfortable, stylish, and individual.

LARPers, are, by definition, PLAYING. A. GAME.  The vast majority of them dress "normally" when they're not playing a game.

Modern Americans who, in their everyday life, try to live like it's Tsarist Russia to the point that they draw attention to themselves are not being humble Orthodox bearing witness to the Truth but living a lie.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 04:40:56 PM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2012, 04:51:29 PM »

Late 20th-Early 21st century Americans/Canadians have turned it into every day attire that can be dressed up or down depending on one's proclivities.

Bit of a stretch isn't it?  Pop down the local Macy's for a kilt.

Fashion changes.  Your grandfather's generation would be absolutely appalled to see anyone wearing denim as anything other than labor attire, yet, as you pointed out, it's separated/evolved from its original use.

Agreed.  Currently acceptable attire nearly drives me mad.  I think my grandfather wore a tie to tend the garden, mow the lawn, whatever.

I don't hate kilts, and maybe there is more of a hipster element (another term that's nearly lost all meaning  Smiley) than an ethno-LARPing one.  Evolve on kilt wearers, but my Ulster Scot ancestors didn't wear them, so I will not do so and claim to be celebrating my heritage.

The vat majority of casual kiltwearers...
  Those numbers must be unfathomably high!

LARPers, are, by definition, PLAYING. A. GAME.  The vast majority of them dress "normally" when they're not playing a game.

Modern Americans who, in their everyday life, try to live like it's Tsarist Russia to the point that they draw attention to themselves are not being humble Orthodox bearing witness to the Truth but living a lie.

I'm just using the terminology that has become a part of OC.net lexicon. Much like attire, words and terms take on different uses from their original meanings and purpose.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2012, 05:32:29 PM »

Agreed.  Currently acceptable attire nearly drives me mad.  I think my grandfather wore a tie to tend the garden, mow the lawn, whatever.

Now for the fashionistas to talk.

I was chatting this up with one of my white trash Scots-Irish buddies. Where I live, we get into the 90s, have already, and the humidity will at times flirt with +100%RH.

And all his family of a certain generation, though poor, wore long sleeves,  ties, etc. even while doing very hard manual labor outdoors.

This was in response to my yearly rant where I complain about watching every other guy look like he is getting ready to play a pick game of soccer or basketball in flip-flops. Or in khaki shorts with white gym shoes and white socks.

It's vile. It's [censored]. Especially for white people.

I don't "dress up" much anymore, but I still wear pants and some sorta shoe. The difference in heat ain't that big o' deal.

I was enjoying an ice cream the other day until a buncha goofy white guys in their basketball shorts sat down in front of me and I could practically see their family jewels.

I am no Puritan, but just put some pants on. And if you are flying, wear shoes as well.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2012, 05:45:18 PM »

... than an ethno-LARPing one. 

The uber-hip elitists trying to force new definitions are hilarious.

but my Ulster Scot ancestors didn't wear them, so I will not do so and claim to be celebrating my heritage.

Good for you, sport.  Smiley  BTW, who exactly is it that you're railing against?  I haven't read anyone with Lowlander heritage enforcing the wearin' 'o the tartan/kilt. 

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2012, 05:50:58 PM »

Another U.S. President of Scots-Irish heritage, Ulysses S. Grant.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2012, 06:01:14 PM »

The Southern connection.

The Keltic Kloset Klansmen strike again

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2012, 06:04:45 PM »

All of this exists because people, particularly the Scots Irish, didn't always care or know about their histories.  You're absolutely right about it not being limited to Orthodoxy though.  Are people intensely proud of their ancestry, or an imagined ancestry?  If so, why?  I'm just saying, a lot of these connections seem forced. 

This is the case of all national identities- myth and all that. Any time Iranians talk about Cyrus and Darius or Russians invoke Prince Vladimir they're doing the same thing.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2012, 06:05:09 PM »

The Southern connection.

The Keltic Kloset Klansmen strike again

You're a moron and a boob.  I have many black friends and my wife is Korean-American.

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2012, 06:08:54 PM »

... than an ethno-LARPing one. 

The uber-hip elitists trying to force new definitions are hilarious.

I was quite proud of that one; I'm sorry you don't appreciate it.  Elitist? That may be accurate, but did you just add that word on for good measure?

but my Ulster Scot ancestors didn't wear them, so I will not do so and claim to be celebrating my heritage.

Good for you, sport.  Smiley  BTW, who exactly is it that you're railing against?  I haven't read anyone with Lowlander heritage enforcing the wearin' 'o the tartan/kilt.

Not railing; commenting.  And commenting on a kind of pan-celtic (that's an ok term right?) revisionism in this thread. 

I was going to try to shut up and head the thread back in a positive direction, but between Jackson, Buchanan, and Grant, what am I supposed to do with that?  Scots-Irish people clearly make terrible presidents.  Good soldiers and generals though.

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2012, 06:10:07 PM »

...and my wife is Korean-American.

Probably South Korean, you hate monger.  Wink

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: