OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 08:26:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For my Diet  (Read 1254 times) Average Rating: 0
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« on: August 27, 2009, 12:56:50 AM »

Please pray for me, as I am weak and need your prayers.  I have an unhealthy addiction to sugars and fatty foods, but especially soda and desserts.  I am at risk genetically for diabetes as it runs in my family, yet I continue to consume excessive amounts of sugar on an almost daily basis.  I am not really overweight or anything, but I know that I am eating to death rather than to health.

I have my first child on the way, so these concerns are becoming more pronounced as I think about the future.  I have a mild addition to cigarettes (one or two a day), but I can honestly say that I am far more addicted to my sweet tooth.  It is more than apparent to me how dangerous this is because I have always eaten an extremely unhealthy diet, but I refuse to change.

I have especially sought the aid of St. Euphrosynos the Cook in these matters, but ultimately I know that nothing magic is going to happen.  I must begin to make the changes myself.  Please help me with your prayers!

Euphrosynos the Cook, pray to God for me!
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 01:09:08 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 01:09:20 AM »

Lord have mercy on Your servant through the prayers of the Theotokos and St. Euphrosynos.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 01:16:18 AM »

Lord have Mercy.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 01:24:35 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 02:31:10 AM »

Lord, have mercy!
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 03:21:12 AM »

Lord help and guide you, AL!

I understand what you have to deal with! Diabetes runs in my family, and I was recently diagnosed as "Pre-diabetic". In a month or so, I go back to the doctor's for blood analysis. What I've been doing to reverse my symptoms is eating more raw foods and less higher-fat meat. I have found that, if you eat 60-80% dark chocolate and fruits such as mango and berries, it gets rid of your sweet tooth. I've been able to get rid of my craving for fast food and even beef by eating lentil soup, and beans with a lot of other things.
The raw food method has really helped me. Maybe you should give it a go! Smiley

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 05:42:08 AM »

Lord, have mercy.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 07:14:17 AM »

Lord, have mercy! I think if you realize that you are at risk - that is already about one half of the solution! You are in my unworthy prayers.

Love never fails.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 02:39:10 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 03:08:00 PM »

Lord, have mercy! I pray you'll have victory over this area of your life! Look upon it as an exciting challenge of sorts! Gradually cut out the sweets and sodas and before you know it, those sweets will taste sickeningly, cloyingly sweet and you'll barely be able to stomach them! I started to use the natural stevia powder for sweetening my beverages. It's quite expensive, but I tell myself, "This is it", and try to "award" myself a package of stevia in my tea every once in awhile as a treat. And, as Myrrh said, chose to enjoy fresh fruits and vegetables over starchy desserts. Avoid artificial sweeteners like aspartame-it's terribly dangerous and a known carcinogen. It's worrisome how they manage to sneak it into so many products, including nearly all chewing gums. Every time you have a craving for a soda etc. tell yourself it is not a soda, but pure chemicals, dyes and sugar. If you are tempted to buy junkfood, consider nuts and dried fruits, if you don't have any allergies to nuts.

Okay. End of sermon.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 03:09:35 PM by Rosehip » Logged

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 04:18:58 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Catherine
Elder

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 07:29:33 PM »

Lord help and guide you, AL!

Amen.
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 12:00:35 AM »

Thanks to all of you for your prayers and encouraging words!  I know I must change.  There are actually some former vegans at my parish; perhaps I should approach them for help.  they still eat a very natural diet, but they are no longer vegan after becoming Orthodox.  They allow themselves fish occasionally so that they can participate in celebration with the Church at large, as well as occasionally eating some dairy products.  Anyway, they are quite good at being healthy!
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 10:59:58 PM »

DISCLAIMER:  The administrative staff and moderator team of this forum neither endorses nor takes any responsibility for any medical or nutritional advice offered on this thread.

I would also like to remind everyone that this is the Prayer Forum, which is reserved for prayer.  If you wish to give advice, I recommend that you start a separate thread in another section for this.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 11:00:53 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2009, 11:22:20 PM »

Thanks to all of you for your prayers and encouraging words!  I know I must change.  There are actually some former vegans at my parish; perhaps I should approach them for help.  they still eat a very natural diet, but they are no longer vegan after becoming Orthodox.  They allow themselves fish occasionally so that they can participate in celebration with the Church at large, as well as occasionally eating some dairy products.  Anyway, they are quite good at being healthy!

I personally remained vegetarian after becoming EO and have been toying with the idea of becoming vegan in the past few months. Even so, the amount of dairy and eggs I eat is minimal so my diet is almost vegan already. If there is any way I can help you, just ask.

Lord have mercy on you and your child.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: