OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 05:37:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antiochian Orthodox priest canonically transfers to British Orthodox Church  (Read 8435 times) Average Rating: 0
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« on: November 26, 2003, 12:11:14 PM »

From nearly a year ago - note the first news item:

News from the British Orthodox Church

Reception of Father David Sennitt

With the permission of His Eminence Metropolitan Gabriel of the Antiochian Orthodox Diocese in Western and Central Europe, Father David Sennitt, a priest of the British Antiochian Orthodox Deanery, was granted a canonical release in order that he could be received into the British Orthodox Church. This took place at the hands of Abba Seraphim at Babingley on 9 February. Father David will serve alongside Father David Seeds at the Church at Cusworth, Doncaster.

Would this board's BOC clergyman like to confirm this story?

I know that the BOC is legitimized now, though it may have been of vagante provenance - it is not Coptic Rite but part of the Coptic Church of Egypt under Pope Shenouda III.

If this story is true, then the schism between the Eastern Orthodox and the Oriental Orthodox is over.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2003, 12:12:10 PM by Serge » Logged

"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

High-church libertarian
Blog
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2003, 12:23:38 PM »

If this story is true, then the schism between the Eastern Orthodox and the Oriental Orthodox is over.

That sounds a little brash - like putting words in the mouths of all of the other Orthodox Churches.  It just sounds to me like another case of "Intercommuning" per se like what we hear goes on between Antiochians and OO back in the mideast.

Unless it happens to cause some sort of schism, I think it is a positive.  My priest (OCA and on the conservative end) thinks all this talk between EO and OO is for naught though, since he says the OO still refuse to recognize the later Ecumenical Councils and further entrench themselves in their positions.  We'll see.
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2003, 01:19:25 PM »

That sounds a little brash - like putting words in the mouths of all of the other Orthodox Churches.  It just sounds to me like another case of "Intercommuning" per se like what we hear goes on between Antiochians and OO back in the mideast.

But this isn't a case of a priest communing somebody while the bishop looks the other way, as he (the bishop) and his predecessors always have (the way the Middle Eastern churches handle that) - this is an official act of the metropolitan in Britain of the Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch.

Unless it happens to cause some sort of schism, I think it is a positive.  My priest (OCA and on the conservative end) thinks all this talk between EO and OO is for naught though, since he says the OO still refuse to recognize the later Ecumenical Councils and further entrench themselves in their positions.  We'll see.

I think it's positive too.

"You always were a historically illiterate jerk, John." - OicwR doyen Stuart Koehl

High-church libertarian
Blog
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2003, 01:34:51 PM »

But this isn't a case of a priest communing somebody while the bishop looks the other way, as he (the bishop) and his predecessors always have (the way the Middle Eastern churches handle that) - this is an official act of the metropolitan in Britain of the Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch.

I understand, but it's still just an anecdote - not some new official policy.  Of course precendent can mean a lot.
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2003, 12:48:29 AM »

I can think of some people who won't be happy about it.

Or maybe they will . . . schadenfreudeweise

More grist for the mill.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2003, 12:49:54 AM by Linus7 » Logged

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2003, 01:33:16 AM »

From nearly a year ago - note the first news item:

With the permission of His Eminence Metropolitan Gabriel of the Antiochian Orthodox Diocese in Western and Central Europe, Father David Sennitt, a priest of the British Antiochian Orthodox Deanery, was granted a canonical release in order that he could be received into the British Orthodox Church...

Serge,
As much as I would like to see this schism over, I just can't read this event in this way.
The priest gave his bishop the courtesy of asking for a 'release' prior to being 'received' into another church.
I wish that it meant more, but it probably does not.

Demetri
« Last Edit: November 27, 2003, 01:34:31 AM by +æ-ü+¦-â-ä+++¦+++«-é » Logged

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2003, 11:18:19 AM »

As much as I would like to see this schism over, I just can't read this event in this way.
The priest gave his bishop the courtesy of asking for a 'release' prior to being 'received' into another church.
I wish that it meant more, but it probably does not.

But I thought that Orthodox bishops only give priests 'releases' if the priests are going to other Orthodox bishops. Somebody going to a non-Orthodox group wouldn't get a 'release'; he'd be deposed, right? So ISTM the BOC is claiming the Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch recognizes it (part of the Coptic Church and the Oriental Orthodox communion) as equal to the Eastern Orthodox churches.

Most significant.

High-church libertarian
Blog
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2003, 01:11:04 PM »

A very remarkable occurence if it is indeed true--and one with huge implications.  Is this perhaps a sign of a 'Zoghby Initiative' (t.m.) on the part of the Antiochians, which, as was the case of our own with the Orthodox, involves close cooperation and breakthrough decisions or propositions between two individual member Churches of two communions without consultation with other members?  More to the point, in the case of the Orientals, wouldn't the most logical partner to make such an overture of 'dual communion' to be the Surianis rather than the Copts?

An unusual development indeed, it strongly captures one's interest.  Will this be followed by another similiar event, I wonder?  I think the best authority in this forum on this matter is Dimitrius.  I invite him to contribute with his comments.

In IC XC
Samer
« Last Edit: November 27, 2003, 01:13:30 PM by SamB » Logged
Father Peter
Archon

Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2003, 07:01:11 PM »

But I thought that Orthodox bishops only give priests 'releases' if the priests are going to other Orthodox bishops. Somebody going to a non-Orthodox group wouldn't get a 'release'; he'd be deposed, right? So ISTM the BOC is claiming the Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch recognizes it (part of the Coptic Church and the Oriental Orthodox communion) as equal to the Eastern Orthodox churches.

Hi

I don't think we, the BOC, are claiming anything on behalf of the Antiocheans in the UK. I guess they need to speak for themselves. You must remember that 10 years ago there were many people from many backgrounds seeking after Orthodoxy. I myself was received into Orthodoxy a couple of weeks after Pentecost in 1994 when the BOC had been united with the COP and it seemed that God was making a plain path for me to follow. I had also been interested in the Pilgrimage To Orthodoxy activity led by the Antiocheans.

Father David Sennitt has been a good friend of and to the BOC for many years. He chose to enter the Antiochean Church 10 years ago. Circumstances change and he now has a home and ministry among the BOC.

It was only right and proper that Father David should seek a canonical release, I guess it was gracious of +Gabriel to provide one, but he also knows my own +Seraphim. Since it is clear to anyone that knows us well that we do not confess any heresy, and certainly Father David has not suddenly become a heretic in the time I have known him, it seems only reasonable from a human level that a canonical release should be provided.

I think it shows that at ground-level there are a great many changes taking place, and many things which it is best not to mention, but people who know each other and respect each other know whether the other professes a heresy or not.

So it is important but not of universal application. Elsewhere things might pan out completely differently. We have quite a few Eastern Orthodox in our churches, just as Eastern Orthodox often have isolated Ethiopians or Eritreans. On the ground there is more reconciliation than is obvious.

My bishop is a guest at the Phanar most years now when he visits the Armenian Patriarch Mesrob II. Of course this willl just prove the faults in the EP in some eyes, but it doesn't actually take too many questions and too long to find out if someone is a Nestorian or a Eutychian. And if they are not then it is surely sin to act as if they are.

Seeking your prayers

Peter Theodore
Subdeacon

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Mexican
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2003, 02:53:07 PM »

Can you please explain me about the "British Orthodox Church"? From what you have been posting I have seen they're part of the Coptic Church but the name "British Orthodox Church" is some kind of confusing (many sects call themselves british or celtic orthodox, or "american" orthodox or anything like that).

In my country for example, the Orthodox Churches are recognizable "Syrian-Antiochian Orthodox Church of Mexico", "Exarchate of Mexico-Orthodox Church in America", "Greek Orthodox Archbishophric of Mexico". I don't think people call themselves "Mexican Orthodox" for example.

Is this British Orthodox Church using a "Western Rite"? What is their relationship with the Coptic Church and its Patriarchate?

Jonathan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2003, 07:39:27 PM »

The British Orthodox Church was received into the Coptic Orthodox Church.  H.H. Pope Shenouda ordained Anba Seraphim as a metropolitan, and he ordained all the priests to the next rank, or something like that.  They use the Liturgy of St. James.  The website is here: http://www.uk-christian.net/boc/
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2003, 09:04:37 PM »

Friends,

What does "- it is not Coptic Rite but part of the Coptic Church of Egypt under Pope Shenouda III" mean?  

Also, I have heard on occasion of bishops "releasing" priests to Churches with which they are not in communion.  So, I heard of a ROCOR priest blessed by his bishop to enter the AOC.  Also, a UGC deacon that was blessed by his bishop to enter the OCA.  Perhaps the term "realease" is being applied here a bit liberally and means rather that he left on good terms?

TonyS

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
Jonathan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2003, 09:09:11 PM »

"What does "- it is not Coptic Rite but part of the Coptic Church of Egypt under Pope Shenouda III" mean?"

It means that the BOC is a part of the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate, Pope Shenouda is thier patriarch, but they don't use the same Liturgy as we do.  They use the Liturgy of St. James, traditional English Communion hymns, etc.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2003, 09:10:08 PM by Jonathan » Logged
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2003, 09:10:31 PM »

"What does "- it is not Coptic Rite but part of the Coptic Church of Egypt under Pope Shenouda III" mean?"

It means that the BOC is a part of the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate, Pope Shenouda is thier patriarch, but they don't use the same Liturgy as we do, they use the Liturgy of St. James, traditional English Communion hymns, etc.

So they have their own liturgical tradition which is neither Western nor Coptic?

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2003, 09:37:10 PM »

I am not sure which Saint James they use--the Syriac or the Greek?

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Mexican
Elder

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2003, 11:29:46 PM »

Is it a living liturgy and rite or another "archeological" restauration restauration such as the "Celtic" rite?
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2003, 04:57:53 AM »

We use the Greek St James for our liturgy and all of the other Coptic services for everything else. We do also use the ancient Orthodox Western hymns on occasion and of course we venerate our own Orthodox Western saints as well as those of the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate and those of the Universal Church.

We are a constituent church of the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate. Our Metropolitan attends the Holy Synod meetings and many of our folk have been to Egypt.

The Orthodox Church of Finland is part of the Ecumenical Patriarchate but it has its own Scandinavian ethos as far as I can see which is not wholly Greek or Russian. In the same way we cannot be Egyptians, and Pope Shenouda has insisted that we should not be. We are British people in the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate with a mission to British people.

Oriental Orthodoxy is used to diversity. It is, after all, part of the Orthodox faith and praxis. Even in the West before the forced uniformity of liturgy there was great diversity within the Churches in the Roman Patriarchate.

Uniformity is not the same as unity.

Seeking your prayers

Peter Theodore

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2003, 05:07:15 AM »

Can you please explain me about the "British Orthodox Church"? From what you have been posting I have seen they're part of the Coptic Church but the name "British Orthodox Church" is some kind of confusing (many sects call themselves british or celtic orthodox, or "american" orthodox or anything like that).

In my country for example, the Orthodox Churches are recognizable "Syrian-Antiochian Orthodox Church of Mexico", "Exarchate of Mexico-Orthodox Church in America", "Greek Orthodox Archbishophric of Mexico". I don't think people call themselves "Mexican Orthodox" for example.

Is this British Orthodox Church using a "Western Rite"? What is their relationship with the Coptic Church and its Patriarchate?

Well we are British and we are Orthodox so I'm not sure what else we should call ourselves? We always state that we are members of the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate, but we are not Egyptians, and our mission is to bring Orthodoxy to British people.

Do you not have some unnecessary difficulties in being a Greek Church in Mexico? Don't Mexicans ask 'what has this got to do with me?'. Isn't the aim surely to be a 'Mexican Orthodox Church' in the end? Surely that is how Greek and Russian and Coptic Orthodoxy began, otherwise we would all be called the Palestinian Orthodox Church of Egypt, or the Palestinian Orthodox Church of Russia, or even the Palestinian Orthodox Church of Greece in Mexico. :-)

The Orthodox Church of Finland website does not mention Greek or Russian Orthodoxy on its front page. They are Finnish Orthodox people in a Finnish Orthodox Church. I think we follow the same model.

Seeking your prayers

Peter Theodore

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2003, 10:56:21 AM »

POCOGIM...now there's an acronym.

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Byzantino
Me Ortodox
Elder

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2003, 06:40:07 AM »

Well we are British and we are Orthodox so I'm not sure what else we should call ourselves? We always state that we are members of the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate, but we are not Egyptians, and our mission is to bring Orthodoxy to British people.

Very well stated. If only this were the norm.

Byzantino

« Last Edit: December 06, 2003, 06:50:34 AM by Byzantino » Logged
mattymoo

Jurisdiction: Whatever Orthodox parish I happen to be in at any given moment

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2010, 09:11:38 PM »

I see the last reply to this thread was made quite some time ago. I am curious as to the current status of the British Orthodox Church. I am also curious as to why the BOC chose to join communion with the Coptic Patriarch/Pope and not any of the other possible jurisdictions available in Western Europe?
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2010, 09:16:33 PM »

I see the last reply to this thread was made quite some time ago. I am curious as to the current status of the British Orthodox Church. I am also curious as to why the BOC chose to join communion with the Coptic Patriarch/Pope and not any of the other possible jurisdictions available in Western Europe?

You can read more about the history of the BOC at their website, but that church has its roots in the mid-19th century work of a French-Dominican-cum-Coptic-bishop. 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
mattymoo

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2010, 09:22:33 PM »

You can read more about the history of the BOC at their website, but that church has its roots in the mid-19th century work of a French-Dominican-cum-Coptic-bishop. 

Oh, well that's understandable I suppose.  Smiley
Seafra

Faith: British Orthodox hopeful

It's in the shelter of each other that people live

Mr.Dougherty
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2010, 07:35:41 PM »

Oh, well that's understandable I suppose.  Smiley
I believe they chose to ask the copts because the original celtic church was greatly influenced by the desert fathers to the point that it stood out from the other western churches at that time. Monasticism also had a great and major impact on the church in Ireland. I hope to convert into this church when I move to Ireland
mattymoo

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2010, 09:36:18 PM »

I believe they chose to ask the copts because the original celtic church was greatly influenced by the desert fathers to the point that it stood out from the other western churches at that time. Monasticism also had a great and major impact on the church in Ireland. I hope to convert into this church when I move to Ireland

I have read - somewhere, sorry I cannot cite it - that an early Christian authority (A pope or Bishop perhaps?) inquired from a Christian who had been to Ireland what their music sounded like and he responded that it sounded very similar to the music used by Egyptian Christians during the same period.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2010, 08:10:03 PM »

Ack.  Sad

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2011, 12:46:58 AM »

Father Peter,

Communications from people in the Russian Orthodox Church in the UK say that Fr David Sennittt is back in the Eastern Orthodox Church?  Have you had news of this?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 12:49:09 AM by Irish Hermit » Logged
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2011, 06:13:20 PM »

Father Peter,

Communications from people in the Russian Orthodox Church in the UK say that Fr David Sennittt is back in the Eastern Orthodox Church?  Have you had news of this?
I think I remember Fr. Peter answering 'yes' to this question.  Smiley

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2011, 06:33:53 PM »

Father Peter,

I think I remember Fr. Peter answering 'yes' to this question.  Smiley

Oddly enough he came up in despatches from New York a few days ago.  Thanks.
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2011, 06:41:32 PM »

^Out of curiosity, how did the Russian Clergymen react to his transfer to the BOC? I ask because the Russian Church seems to be one of the most conservative when it comes to the OO. Thanks.

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2011, 06:49:55 PM »

^Out of curiosity, how did the Russian Clergymen react to his transfer to the BOC? I ask because the Russian Church seems to be one of the most conservative when it comes to the OO. Thanks.

Probably Father Peter, being on the spot, has better information.
Aidan

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2011, 10:47:13 AM »

He's listed on the (British) Antiochian Deanery website with contact details. You could ask him yourself.
He was at the recent Deanery conference so I assume he's Antiochian.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2011, 12:13:50 PM »

Double posting.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 12:18:51 PM by Irish Hermit » Logged
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2011, 12:18:09 PM »

He's listed on the (British) Antiochian Deanery website with contact details. You could ask him yourself.
He was at the recent Deanery conference so I assume he's Antiochian.

It is not the sort of thing I would do unless there were a need.

Besides, I doubt he would welcome the question which was suggested above in message 29.  It would be seen as intrusive.
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2011, 05:10:35 PM »

The Russians have had more than enough problems of their own in recent years in the UK to be concerned, I would imagine, about the whereabouts of a priest who was not part of their own jurisdiction.

Indeed most Churches have more than enough problems of their own not to need worrying about other people's priests!  Smiley

Since the priest in question had a canonical release from his Antiochian bishop I am not sure that any great problems were likely to arise.

Tags: British Orthodox Church Ordination 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: