OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 07:52:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I am Coptic, therefore I love...  (Read 6091 times) Average Rating: 0
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« on: August 26, 2009, 11:39:17 PM »

I am Coptic, therefore I love....

Coptic Architecture:

The Pyramids.

The "Hanging Church" at al-Muqattan.

Cross Tattoos:

On my wrists...

Or, if i'm bold and dedicated enough, on my forehead as well...

Coptic Monks:

Those that glow with child-like simplicity and joy...

And those whose humility forces my soul to its knees...

Coptic Art:

Ancient art...

Ancient iconography...

And modern iconography...

Coptic worship:

Awe-filled...

Peace-filled...

Incense-filled...

Just...filled...

Coptic Culture:

The language and literature.

The simplicity and hospitality.

The Coptic Pope:

A meditative Pope...

A monastic Pope...

A Pope glowing with cheerfulness...

A Pope of the people...

A Pope of the children...
[Follow link for short video recording of His Holiness telling a cute little girl a joke]

A poetic Pope...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uMMTz7nTl8&

A pastoral Pope...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TyWxX15SWY&
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 11:49:17 PM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 02:35:39 AM »

BEAUTIFUL!

One thing I like about Coptic Christians is that the men cover their heads. I like to keep my head covered. I'm always wearing a hat or a bandana. Not going bald or anything, just feel more comfortable with something on my head. But in our Ethiopian Orthodox Church I have noticed that only the women cover their heads. I don't know if it's unacceptable or not for men to cover their heads in our Church. Do you know? I think I'll ask Hiywot or Amde Birhan.

Wonderful pictures my brother! Thank you for sharing. BTW, I have a Cross tattoo on the back of my right hand!

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 03:12:53 AM »

Wow! Very impressive & Beautiful pictures. Is it common for Coptic Christians in the U.S to have tatoos?

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Catherine
Elder

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 07:12:01 PM »

Absolutely beautiful, EkhristosAnesti.
Fr James

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 07:49:01 PM »

Absolutely beautiful. Thank you for bringing joy to my heart this day.

James+
Servant.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 08:17:22 PM »

Wow! Very impressive & Beautiful pictures. Is it common for Coptic Christians in the U.S to have tatoos?

Not so much, but some do.  In the 80s and 90s there was a revival of sorts of it in Egypt.

The Copts had their hands branded with a cross when they paid their jizya poll tax when the Muslims came and set up their governance of Egypt, they extracted the jizya, and used to brand your hand to show you paid (it also marked you for lynching). When the muslims stopped doing it, the Copts started, of their own volition, tattoo themselves on the hand with a cross, usually at a pilgrimage (I got mine at Zaytoun, after going to Jerusalem).  I remember once buying a kufiyah.  While I was looking at it, the shop owner saw my tattoo and asked me if I was Christian.  When I replied yes, it told me "half price."

A Copt showing me his Cross pointed out "the muslims here, some are from Saudi Arabia. They are a foreigner here. Some their grandfather was Copt but converted. They belong here, but they are weak. My grandfather and his grandfather [pointing to the Cross on his own hand] were strong. This is the proof that they were strong. Ever since the time of the Apostles, every generation until today, my ancestors were willing to die for this. I am willing to die for this."  Not an empty fear in Egypt nowadays.

+

Ἐν τούτῳ νίκα
In hoc signo vinces
IN THIS SIGN CONQUER

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 08:57:59 PM »

I don't know if it's unacceptable or not for men to cover their heads in our Church.

As far as I know, in all Orthodox Churches the only people who have the privilege of covering their heads during worship are clergy and women.  Men who are not ordained must stand bare-headed.  Sorry.   Smiley

I love the post in this thread by Deacon Amde Tsion:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,17124.msg248030.html#msg248030

(post 33)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 08:59:26 PM by Salpy » Logged

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 09:24:09 PM »

I don't know if it's unacceptable or not for men to cover their heads in our Church.

As far as I know, in all Orthodox Churches the only people who have the privilege of covering their heads during worship are clergy and women.  Men who are not ordained must stand bare-headed.  Sorry.   Smiley

I love the post in this thread by Deacon Amde Tsion:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,17124.msg248030.html#msg248030

(post 33)

Thank you for clarifying that. Yes, that was an excellent post by Amde Tsion! I guess the pictures of the Copts with head coverings must have been deacons. Isn't it ironic that some of us men want to wear head coverings, and some women rebel against it. But how silly would I be to defy my Church and brazenly walk in with my head covered? I have no desire to be so stupid!

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Fr James

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 09:32:41 PM »

(post 33)
I guess the pictures of the Copts with head coverings must have been deacons.
[/quote]

They look to me to be father monks prostrating during the Liturgy and the one praying is a Bishop. This Liturgy was most likely in a monastery. Monks of course cover their heads at all times and wear white coverings during the liturgy. Some of course would be at the rank of Deacon and or Priest as well.

Pray for me.

James+
Servant
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 02:06:34 AM »

Sorry. Posting error. See following below.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 02:13:55 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 02:10:53 AM »

They look to me to be father monks prostrating during the Liturgy and the one praying is a Bishop. This Liturgy was most likely in a monastery. Monks of course cover their heads at all times and wear white coverings during the liturgy. Some of course would be at the rank of Deacon and or Priest as well.

Pray for me.

James+
Servant

Thank you for the clarification. I hope my comments were not offensive.

Selam
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 02:11:33 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 03:35:24 PM »

EA, thank you for these pictures and captions. Indeed, most beautiful, spiritual, exciting.

Love never fails.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 05:10:33 PM »

One thing I like about Coptic Christians is that the men cover their heads. I like to keep my head covered.

None of the lay males in the incense picture have their heads covered...

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
GammaRay
The Awful Preacher
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

Alexandros Papadiamantis

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 10:13:43 AM »

Coptic Iconography is my favourite and I just realized that I also like the Coptic Pope. Smiley

Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.
Severian
I love making people who hate me hate me even more
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

St. Severus of Antioch, Crown of the Syrians

Partisangirl
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 11:13:35 PM »

I am Coptic, therefore I love...

All the awesome Saints produced by the Coptic Orthodox Church

St Pantaenus, founder of the School of Alexandria
[image not available]

St Clement of Alexandria, Dean of the School of Alexandria

St Pachomius, founder of communal monastic life

St Paul, the first hermit

St Anthony the Great, the First Monk

St Alexander, Pope of Alexandria, Destroyer of Arianism

St Athanasius, Pope of Alexandria, Destroyer of Arianism, Author of the Nicene Creed

St Timothy I, Pope of Alexandria, Destroyer of Macedonianism
[Image not available]

St Cyril, Pope of Alexandria, Destroyer of Nestorianism

Even after the Chalcedonian split, we still produced awesome Saints

St Dioscorus

St Timothy Aelurus
[Image not available]

St Simon the Shoemaker

St Pope Kyrillos (Cyril) VI

The list just goes on and on and on... Man, I love my Church!

« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 11:14:01 PM by Severian » Logged

In solidarity with the "Nasara" (i.e. Christians) of Iraq and Syria

On hiatus from posting. PM me if you wish to contact me. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact

NOTE: Some of my older posts may not reflect my current views
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 12:32:17 AM »

Ekhristos, your post shows so many of the reasons that, if the Coptic and Orthodox Churches reunited, I would almost certainly begin attending a Coptic Church (assuming I lived near one).

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 12:38:32 AM »

Ekhristos, your post shows so many of the reasons that, if the Coptic and Orthodox Churches reunited, I would almost certainly begin attending a Coptic Church (assuming I lived near one).
The Coptic Church already *is* a part of the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church. If the Byzantine Church wishes to reunite herself to the Orthodox Church (I.e. the non-Chalcedonian one) then great, but the Coptic Church like all her sister OO Churches, is already Orthodox whether or not she is in communion the Byzantine-Chalcedonian Churches. I know that I might get warned for typing this, but on a thread where we are talking about the Coptic Church I don't appreciate hearing my Church being called unorthodox, please stop. I don't want this wonderful thread by EkhristosAnesti to turn into another Orthodox versus Chalcedonian debate.

Peace and grace be with you,
Severian
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 12:45:18 AM by Severian » Logged

On hiatus from posting. PM me if you wish to contact me. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 01:33:38 AM »

Actually, people have the right at OCnet to use the word "Orthodox" to refer exclusively to their own Church.  You and I can do it too if we wanted to.  It's OK.   Smiley

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 01:40:45 AM »

Actually, people have the right at OCnet to use the word "Orthodox" to refer exclusively to their own Church.  You and I can do it too if we wanted to.  It's OK.   Smiley
Thanks for informing me of that, I just like to be safe. I know that no one has to think that I'm Orthodox, and I accept that. However, I just think that on a thread discussing our admiration of the Coptic Church that it's rather unnecessary for anyone to call someone else unorthodox.

In Christ,
Severian
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 01:42:09 AM by Severian » Logged

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 02:22:57 AM »

Severian, I in no way intended to insult you or your communion.  If I did so, I apologize.  My goal was not to spark a debate, only to say that if East and Orient were in union, I would love to have a Coptic Church as my parish, because I have long been drawn to its culture and customs.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 02:28:11 AM »

Severian, I in no way intended to insult you or your communion.  If I did so, I apologize.  My goal was not to spark a debate, only to say that if East and Orient were in union, I would love to have a Coptic Church as my parish, because I have long been drawn to its culture and customs.
Well thank you very much. I'm sorry if I have offended or misunderstood you.

Tags: Coptic Orthodox Church tattoos head coverings 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: