OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 05:12:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Going Home  (Read 2863 times) Average Rating: 0
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« on: November 26, 2003, 11:52:38 AM »

Dear Friends,

I am slated to leave for home early this afternoon for the Thanksgiving break.  Presently, I don't have internet access at home, and so I will be away from the board.  I will try to sign on when I can, but be nice anyway.  Tongue  God bless you all, and enjoy the holiday!

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2003, 11:58:13 AM »

Godspeed on your trip home, Mor!  Happy Thanksgiving--don't eat too much tofu turkey (Nativity Fast for us EO's continues Lips Sealed ).

Oooooohh!!  We can be rebellious and mischievous while Mor has no 'puter access.  Anastasios will most likely be away from his 'puter too.  

Trad Orthodox unite! Grin

Hypo-Ortho

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2003, 12:20:43 PM »

Mor,

Travel in peace and safety.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2003, 12:29:10 PM »

I'm still home  Grin

OC.net->Unianity.net

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2003, 04:33:43 PM »

Tofu turkey?  You mean they don't lift the fast for the holiday?

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2003, 04:48:48 PM »

Tofu turkey?  You mean they don't lift the fast for the holiday?

Who's the "they?"  The Nativity Fast is far older than the American (and Canadian) Thanksgiving civil holidays, but there is an obvious Eucharistic element to Thanksgiving, something we should be doing every day, i.e., "giving thanks."

In families and households where both EO's and non-EO Christians reside, "ekonomia" is exercised and the EO's reluctantly  Wink break the Nativity Fast to consume the traditional turkey with the others.  In other cases, some less-than-traditional Orthodox hierarchs "dispense" their spiritual children from the Nativity Fast on the Thanksgiving holiday, which has its religious overtones.  Some Orthodox, truth be told, however, are only too happy to dispense themselves from the fast altogether not only on Thanksgiving but at other times too and have dinner dances and parties, pre-Christmas luncheons with meat, etc., even at their church sites.  And their clergy turn a blind eye to the non-fasting practices of their charges.  More traditional Orthodox keep the Nativity Fast, but have a special meal with fish and shellfish, and yes, tofu shaped and flavoured like a turkey! Grin

Hypo-Ortho
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2003, 05:09:53 PM »

In other cases, some less-than-traditional Orthodox hierarchs "dispense" their spiritual children from the Nativity Fast on the Thanksgiving holiday, which has its religious overtones.

Religious overtones?? It's a major feast in the Episcopal Church!  Grin
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2003, 05:15:04 PM »

In other cases, some less-than-traditional Orthodox hierarchs "dispense" their spiritual children from the Nativity Fast on the Thanksgiving holiday, which has its religious overtones.

Religious overtones?? It's a major feast in the Episcopal Church!  Grin

It might be a major feast in the Episcopal Church, Keble, but what has this to do with Holy Orthodoxy?  Every day is "Thanksgiving" when the Eucharist is offered in the Orthodox Church.  And the ancient Orthodox Church has centuries on the (P)ECUSA. Grin

Hypo-Ortho
the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2003, 05:30:19 PM »

Dear Hypo

I trust you are not fasting in your debilitated state .

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2003, 05:42:36 PM »

Dear Hypo

I trust you are not fasting in your debilitated state .

Not to fear, dearest Anhelyna, not to fear.  I know better.  The Church wants me to keep my body strong and to do whatever is necessary to keep it that way.  So, hot chicken soup and broth, thick pastrami sandwiches on rye with half-sour pickles, corned beef strombolis--yum, yum, yum!  Very important to enhance my appetite and to drink plenty of non-caffeine fluids.  Perhaps tuna stroganoff tonight, or perhaps just potato and cheese pierogi.  But turkey is waiting in the wings tomorrow, followed by a day or two of turkey barley soup made with the leftovers.  It is so difficult not to keep the fast, but one must do what one must do, and I have the blessing of my Spiritual Father in this.

Hypo-Ortho
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2003, 06:02:52 PM »

Yea but Tofu turkey?  Are you aware that Tofu is one of the WORSTE things a man can eat?  It’s PACKED with estrogen!  You know how volatile that stuff can be.  Just look at the women around you.  Eat enough Tofu and you'll start acting like them!!  Now that would be scarry . . . .*shudder*

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
KO63AP

Грай, кобзарю! ЛÐÂ

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2003, 06:06:29 PM »

Hmm...  For those on the Orthodox calendar the fast doesn't begin until Friday, the day AFTER Thanksgiving - no conflict!  But for those on the Roman calendar...   Grin

Ті, що сіють у сльозах, пожнуть у радосÑ
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2003, 06:31:46 PM »

Godspeed on your trip home, Mor!  Happy Thanksgiving--don't eat too much tofu turkey (Nativity Fast for us EO's continues Lips Sealed ).

Well if you're on the old calendar...the Fast doesnt start until AFTER Thanksgiving.... Smiley Just an other reason to find a ROAC parish Wink J/K!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2003, 06:33:43 PM by Ben » Logged

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2003, 06:36:38 PM »

vicki: let he who is without TYPO cast the frist STONE!! Grin  Yes I see the typo in this post Tongue

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2003, 12:11:10 AM »

vicki: Beam?  Looks like a log cabin from here Grin

prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2003, 02:50:01 AM »

It's actually tofu with the shape and flavour* of a log cabin.

* complete with the taste of ashes in the fireplace. Oh wait, isn't that what tofu tastes like anyway?

John.
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2003, 09:42:30 AM »

::)lol uuummmm tofu.  Makes me wanna become one of those flaky vegetarians. Lips Sealed

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2003, 09:43:16 AM »

BTW - Happy Thanksgiving all.  I am thankful for the conversation Smiley

katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2003, 05:46:33 PM »

Well, personally, I would rather give up the turkey on Thanksgiving (especially since I'm not a big fan of turkey anyway--and tofu turkey--I won't even go there), and be able to have a traditional Christmas dinner.  I will be having spaghetti tonight for my Thanksgiving dinner, along with apple pie (one of the local grocery stores had Sara Lee pies on sale 2/$4, so that is my splurge for the Thanksgiving holiday).  I will have to confess to having had a piece of pepperoni pizza at work early this morning.  I will have my niece's birthday party later next month (her birthday is just before Christmas).  I plan on going to that, and I may have to eat meat there to be hospitable.    

I promise not to mention the fact that I will be having turkey on Christmas day for those of you on the old Calendar.
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2003, 10:17:54 PM »

I guess I should be glad that we do not follow the same fasts.  As a Vegetable rights activist, I cannot condone the slaughtering of Innocent Veggie for the sake of a fast!  Our fast is more of as portion control fast.  We have set things we are allowed for each meal of the day with NO in between snacks.  At first glance, it does not look like a hard fast, but once you live on it for a while you could DIE for variety.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2003, 03:07:41 PM »

Well if you're on the old calendar...the Fast doesnt start until AFTER Thanksgiving.... Smiley Just an other reason to find a ROAC parish Wink J/K!

Well, if you're on the Old Calendar, the Fourth Thursday of November is on 11 December, New Style, I think.  Have fun with that.  Tongue

Thanks for the well wishes, all.  I had a great holiday, and it's good to be back.  And now that we bought a new computer at home, I won't be away as much as I was this time, God willing.  I hope you all enjoyed the holiday.  And Hypo, hope you're getting well.

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2003, 03:12:37 PM »

Phil, when will you  break this computer?
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2003, 04:42:34 PM »

As soon as your skull presents itself in Westchester County, NY so I have something to crush it upon.  Kiss

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2003, 06:36:21 PM »

OUCH!  vicki - they fight worse than you and I do!!

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: