OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 12:29:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: U2 360 Tour  (Read 1408 times) Average Rating: 0
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« on: August 26, 2009, 12:18:17 PM »

I just saw some videos from the new U2 360 tour. It looks pretty awesome. Unlike their last few tours, this tour is a stadium tour. Their stage is amazing (U2 usually has pretty extravagant stages). It looks like a big metal claw in the middle of the stadium. People can see them from pretty much any angle they are seated in the stadium.

The tickets have sold out very quickly. I hope to be fortunate enough to see them again on this tour.

Here is a cool clip from a recent concert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoBSzbaUZHI

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 12:55:33 PM »

I just saw some videos from the new U2 360 tour. It looks pretty awesome. Unlike their last few tours, this tour is a stadium tour. Their stage is amazing (U2 usually has pretty extravagant stages). It looks like a big metal claw in the middle of the stadium. People can see them from pretty much any angle they are seated in the stadium.

The tickets have sold out very quickly. I hope to be fortunate enough to see them again on this tour.

Mr. Y and I are going to take our chances going to the Chicago show two weeks before the baby's due... hopefully Evan will enjoy the show and still stay put!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 12:55:51 PM »

I've seen U2 years ago and frankly, they were awful live.  The Edge was just off and was Bono was off key.  Even the extravagance of the show (impressive as it was) could not make up for how lousy they performed their songs.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 01:11:07 PM »

^^Like all bands, there are occassional "off nights". Fatigue or an illness can cause that. I have seen U2 4 times in concert & they were magnificant. In my opinion, U2 has one of the best live live sounds I've heard. I like the fact that they don't sound exactly the same as the albums, but change it up a bit.

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 01:25:54 PM »

^That's true.  I have their live album Under a Blood Red Sky w hich is an excellent live album if not one of the top 10 ever recorded. 

But, this was consistently bad.  What's more is that the review in the paper the next day claimed that it was an exercise in perfection.  Obviously, the guy has no ear as do most concertgoers.  Even teh people next to me thought Bono was great.  When you're a musician, you tend to be pickier, but I was right in my observations.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 02:55:21 AM »

^That's true.  I have their live album Under a Blood Red Sky w hich is an excellent live album if not one of the top 10 ever recorded. 

But, this was consistently bad.  What's more is that the review in the paper the next day claimed that it was an exercise in perfection.  Obviously, the guy has no ear as do most concertgoers.  Even teh people next to me thought Bono was great.  When you're a musician, you tend to be pickier, but I was right in my observations.

I know U2 tickets are expensive. It's too bad you paid for a show where they were off. I'm a musician as well and can usually pick up on when musicians are off. While I love U2, I have noticed there are certain songs (usually pre-Rattle & Hum era) that when Bono sings now, it just doesn't sound right (with or without you being one of them......he just can't hit some of the notes and seems out of breath when singing this nowadays).

I remember reading about Bono talking about loosing his high register. Apparently, after the Zoo Tv/Zooropa tours, he "partied" a lot which caused damage to his vocal chords. I'm sure aging also has something to do with it.......I know within the past few years my voice has changed quite a bit.

Anyways, if you do see them again, I hope they put on a better show.

Troparion - Tone 1:
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 02:56:30 AM »

Mr. Y and I are going to take our chances going to the Chicago show two weeks before the baby's due... hopefully Evan will enjoy the show and still stay put!

Well, if something does come up, I'll be more than happy to take those tickets off your hands  Wink

Troparion - Tone 1:
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 03:28:54 AM »

Your brave! I stay put the last 3 weeks of pregnancy. But I have never made it to 40 weeks once thus far. I saw Keane in concert while pregnant with my son. He loved it.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 08:08:10 AM »

Your brave! I stay put the last 3 weeks of pregnancy. But I have never made it to 40 weeks once thus far. I saw Keane in concert while pregnant with my son. He loved it.
Yeah, ours refuse to move until they're induced, so we're probably okay.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

lolcat addict

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 11:58:34 AM »

Yeah, ours refuse to move until they're induced, so we're probably okay.

True enough.  I figure if anything happens, we're pretty close to some hospitals and we'll survive either way.  I'm going to put my bets on having to induce this one as well.  In any case, this will be our last chance to do something adventurous for a little while. Smiley

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: