Author Topic: I am British, therefore I love...  (Read 30449 times)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the frozen tundra of lambeau field
Re: I am British, therefore I love...
« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2009, 07:46:47 AM »

Offline ChristusDominus

• High Elder
  • Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2009, 12:31:31 AM »

Benny Hill   :)
There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

Offline GiC

• Site Supporter
  • Merarches
« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2009, 01:58:17 AM »
Well, being Scots-Irish, I have no reason to have any love for the Brits, but with that said...British food is WAY underrated, the main problem is that most (even in england) have no idea how to cook it...a kidney and a ribeye are not the same, so why do people cook them as though they are???

Furthermore, though I may take issue with several British monarchs throughout history, I don't know that there is a fair criticism of her majesty, except to say that she should embrace the fact that she is queen and take a more active role in government...liberty, not democracy, should be EVERYONE'S ultimate goal.

Offline Agia Marina

• Site Supporter
  • Elder
  • St. Marina of Antioch
    • Holy Cross Monastery
« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2009, 02:03:22 AM »
I'm not British, but I love fish and chips, shepherd's pie, and, best of all, a proper Devonshire Tea.  :)
“When I have a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.” - Erasmus

"God became man so that man might become a god." ~St. Athanasius the Great

Poster formerly known as EVOO.

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Professor Emeritus, CSA
  • Merarches
« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2009, 02:13:01 AM »
I'm not British, but I love fish and chips, shepherd's pie, and, best of all, a proper Devonshire Tea.  :)
Don't you mean a Devon tea?  ;) (There's no such place as Devonshire).
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens

Offline Riddikulus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2009, 03:28:47 AM »
Well, being Scots-Irish, I have no reason to have any love for the Brits, but with that said...British food is WAY underrated, the main problem is that most (even in england) have no idea how to cook it...a kidney and a ribeye are not the same, so why do people cook them as though they are???

Furthermore, though I may take issue with several British monarchs throughout history, I don't know that there is a fair criticism of her majesty, except to say that she should embrace the fact that she is queen and take a more active role in government...liberty, not democracy, should be EVERYONE'S ultimate goal.

Scots and Northern Irish are Brits.
I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2009, 04:13:30 AM »

Technically true, yet many, many fight against the Crown and long for independence and freedom.  And then there's the cultural differences that, regardless of the Crown's attempt at subjugating the Celts, remain markedly different.  You're all aware of the long and valiant history of the Irish fighting against the Crown, but there is also a growing number of Scots who want independence as well.  In fact, Sean Connery has campaigned vigilantly for them and has refused to live in his beloved Scotland until she gains her independence from the despised Crown.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 04:18:20 AM by GabrieltheCelt »
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline Agia Marina

• Site Supporter
  • Elder
  • St. Marina of Antioch
    • Holy Cross Monastery
« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2009, 08:52:55 PM »
Don't you mean a Devon tea?  ;) (There's no such place as Devonshire).
No, I mean a Devonshire Tea. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream_tea
“When I have a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.” - Erasmus

"God became man so that man might become a god." ~St. Athanasius the Great

Poster formerly known as EVOO.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2009, 08:53:52 PM »
Bond...

Yeah, I know, that's not really British. And Brosnan isn't everyone's favorite Bond. But Goldeneye was my favorite Bond movie, so sue me. ;D

Also, just for the record, the Bean picture was supposed to be a joke. I consider Bean to be cruel trick that the British have played on American audiences.

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Merarches
« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2009, 08:56:02 PM »
Yeah, I know, that's not really British. And Brosnan isn't everyone's favorite Bond. But Goldeneye was my favorite Bond movie, so sue me. ;D
Actually, mine too, though I don't have high praise for anything else Brosnan has done.
"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #100 on: November 08, 2009, 09:08:36 PM »
Bond...

Yeah, I know, that's not really British.

You're correct; Pierce Brosnan is actually Irish and not British.
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline thetraditionalfrog

• Traditional Frog
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #101 on: January 03, 2010, 04:34:21 PM »
I'm not a British subject, but I do like:

“For the honorable Cross and golden freedom!” -Sv Lazar

“Give up everything for Christ, but Christ for nothing!” -Sv Sava

Offline Rosehip

• Archon
« Reply #102 on: January 03, 2010, 04:41:23 PM »
Oh, Ribena! We were always given that (mixed with ginger ale if we were lucky), when we were sick. I actually rather disliked it as a child. None of the "other children" seemed to have to drink it! But now I love it too!
The only problem is that it's so expensive I can't afford it!:(
+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +

Offline thetraditionalfrog

• Traditional Frog
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #103 on: January 03, 2010, 04:52:00 PM »
Rosehip - Ribena is an acquired taste for sure, as no one else I know around here likes it. I became aquainted with it when a man from Manchester, England opended an authentic English chippy where I live (Indianapolis, Indiana). It was actually Ribena Spark. Sadly, he has since gone out of business.  :-[  I also like McVitie's Hob Nobs and Batchelor's mushy peas as well. HP sauce is also quite nice!

It's interesting you mention you were given it when sick as a child, being the manufacturer is Smith Glaxo-Kline, a pharmaceutical company. From what I gathered, Ribena was first used as a nutrition supplement for youth during the days of strict rationing in WWII (in the UK).

I don't purchase it often either as it is very expensive (being an import) at about $8.00- $9.00 (£5.00 to £6.00) a bottle. It's an occasional treat. I may purchase a bottle for Orthodox Christmas.

Strange how our tastes change as we get older!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 04:57:57 PM by thetraditionalfrog »
“For the honorable Cross and golden freedom!” -Sv Lazar

“Give up everything for Christ, but Christ for nothing!” -Sv Sava

Offline Rosehip

• Archon
« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2010, 05:06:28 PM »
That's interesting! I think Ribena must be high in vitamin c, perhaps. It prepared me for life in Eastern Europe, where everyone is crazy about both black and red currants! Black currant compote (just like diluted ribena) is prepared by everyone in big jars, along with currant jams and jellies. It will be a nice treat for the holyday!

Hobnobs I've never tried though! They sound delicious! We grew up with digestive bisuits and hot horlicks (also by same SG-Kline company) as bedtime snacks.

HP sauce for sure! Farmer's sausage, mashed potatoes, applesauce and HP sauce-nothing better than that!

Now I'm really starting to get hungry!!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 05:09:00 PM by Rosehip »
+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #105 on: January 03, 2010, 05:34:55 PM »

Technically true, yet many, many fight against the Crown and long for independence and freedom.  And then there's the cultural differences that, regardless of the Crown's attempt at subjugating the Celts, remain markedly different.  You're all aware of the long and valiant history of the Irish fighting against the Crown, but there is also a growing number of Scots who want independence as well.  In fact, Sean Connery has campaigned vigilantly for them and has refused to live in his beloved Scotland until she gains her independence from the despised Crown.
It's actually the Scottish crown. Maybe he should get her majesty to come back home.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5c/Scottish_Union_Jack.jpg
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 05:41:57 PM by ialmisry »
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #106 on: July 14, 2010, 05:56:59 PM »
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 05:57:26 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline ytterbiumanalyst

• Merarches
« Reply #107 on: July 18, 2010, 09:45:26 AM »
Why does Britain look so much like southern California?

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #108 on: April 07, 2012, 08:56:35 PM »

Offline Babalon

• Resident Occultist
  • I am everywhere the centre.
    • A.'.A.'.
« Reply #109 on: April 07, 2012, 10:08:14 PM »
Can you guess who i'm going to say?  :laugh:

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #110 on: April 07, 2012, 10:24:57 PM »
Can you guess who i'm going to say?  :laugh:

Offline Babalon

• Resident Occultist
    • A.'.A.'.
« Reply #111 on: April 07, 2012, 10:30:11 PM »

Offline Babalon

• Resident Occultist
    • A.'.A.'.
« Reply #112 on: April 07, 2012, 10:32:53 PM »

How cute, look at his little fruity bow tie.

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #113 on: April 08, 2012, 01:17:51 AM »
Witty satire, pubs, imperialism, forcing my culture on everyone I encounter, monty python, universities, public transportation, witty atheist authors, crumpets and tophats :)

Offline Ortho_cat

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #114 on: April 08, 2012, 01:38:57 AM »

Offline mabsoota

• Archon
  • Kyrie eleison
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox (Coptic)
« Reply #115 on: April 08, 2012, 06:28:03 AM »
wow, no one has said this one yet!

THE BRITISH ORTHODOX CHURCH!
 :)  :)  :)

http://britishorthodox.org/

Offline Ansgar

• Archon
  • Keep your mind in hell and do not despair
« Reply #116 on: April 08, 2012, 07:39:25 AM »
England, let me see...

You bombed our capital, destroyed half of our fleet (and stole the other half) and worst of all, you allowed the swedes to take Norway. Anybody who supports Sweden, I will consider a deadly enemy. However you did liberate us from the nazis, so I might forgive you. However, I demand that you release Scotland immediately so they can fulfill their promise to join the nordic coutries.
Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite

Offline Ansgar

• Archon
« Reply #117 on: April 08, 2012, 07:39:57 AM »
I forgot to mention that I would like to personally thank you for inventing scones and Sherlock Holmes  :)

« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 07:47:04 AM by Ansgar »
Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #118 on: April 08, 2012, 12:52:23 PM »
Although I'm but a lowly colonist  ;), I'd be nothing (nil?) without British candy bars. And Mystery! on PBS.  ;D
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #119 on: April 08, 2012, 01:36:54 PM »
If the Scottish cannot liberate themselves from the British, then they do not deserve to join the Nordic countries because the Norse are some of the toughest warriors in the world who should be able to liberate themselves from anyone.

Offline christian7777

• Elder
« Reply #120 on: April 08, 2012, 02:03:42 PM »
I'm not British, but I enjoy Received Pronunciation and the Bristol dialect.

Offline Ansgar

• Archon
« Reply #121 on: April 08, 2012, 02:08:05 PM »
If the Scottish cannot liberate themselves from the British, then they do not deserve to join the Nordic countries because the Norse are some of the toughest warriors in the world who should be able to liberate themselves from anyone.

I think they are working on it. And be aware James, you shouldn't underrestimate the scots. They, together with the native americans were actually the only people the vikings feared. If one reads the sagas, he will find warnings in which people are aviced not to enter Scotland since it is filled with barbarous tribes who supposedly killed any intruders without mercy. This is the primary reason for my respect for the scottish people. Anyone who can create fear in the hearts of men who raped both women and men during their raids derserves to be taken seriously.  

-St Silouan the athonite

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #122 on: April 08, 2012, 02:12:44 PM »
I love British murder mysteries! That's almost all I read.  ;D

Offline mabsoota

• Archon
  • Kyrie eleison
« Reply #123 on: April 08, 2012, 03:26:59 PM »
i would like to point out that there are still some people in britain (including in scotland) who haven't murdered anyone...
 ;)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #124 on: April 08, 2012, 03:36:37 PM »
i would like to point out that there are still some people in britain (including in scotland) who haven't murdered anyone...
 ;)

I've been working on deciphering a code I recently found in Chesterton's Father Brown stories. It seems to indicate that there are indeed non-murderers in Britannia, but that they are few and far between. If I find out more I will post the results here  ;D

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #125 on: April 08, 2012, 06:26:35 PM »
 ;)

Yes, sometimes I do wonder how parts of it aren't depopulated, though.   ;)

Offline mabsoota

• Archon
  • Kyrie eleison
« Reply #126 on: April 09, 2012, 01:24:03 PM »
we don't have enough babies either, but we have lots of migrants who kindly keep up our numbers!
 ;)

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox (former WR)
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
« Reply #127 on: April 09, 2012, 02:03:30 PM »

Its my crack.

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline akimori makoto

• Archon
  • No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...
« Reply #128 on: April 09, 2012, 09:01:30 PM »

Technically true, yet many, many fight against the Crown and long for independence and freedom.  And then there's the cultural differences that, regardless of the Crown's attempt at subjugating the Celts, remain markedly different.  You're all aware of the long and valiant history of the Irish fighting against the Crown, but there is also a growing number of Scots who want independence as well.  In fact, Sean Connery has campaigned vigilantly for them and has refused to live in his beloved Scotland until she gains her independence from the despised Crown.

I have never understood this attitude.

The first man to rule both England and Scotland was King of Scotland before he was ever King of England.

I know there has been a lot of bitter history between then and now, but one would think the united Crown would be a source of pride for the Scots.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 09:02:57 PM by akimori makoto »
The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.

Offline akimori makoto

• Archon
  • No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...
« Reply #129 on: April 09, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »

The Nords are more properly bodyguards for enlightened Graeco-Romans.
The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.

Offline christian7777

• Elder
« Reply #130 on: April 09, 2012, 09:42:31 PM »
I'm probably one of the few Americans who enjoys eating toffee.

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
    • USCJ
  • Faith: Jewish(Conservative)
« Reply #131 on: April 09, 2012, 09:59:01 PM »
Quentin Crisp!
Proverbs 22:7

Offline Cognomen

• Ungrateful Biped
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Wanderer, but in All the East
« Reply #132 on: April 09, 2012, 10:15:13 PM »

I have never understood this attitude.

The first man to rule both England and Scotland was King of Scotland before he was ever King of England.

I know there has been a lot of bitter history between then and now, but one would think the united Crown would be a source of pride for the Scots.

Delusions of grandeur, confusion, or summat like that.  A source of pride for Scots should be not getting stabbed by a 12 year old ned, with a broken bottle of Buckfast.

The Sean Connery comment above has to be one of the silliest things I've read.  What a noble gesture from Sir Sean, who lives in the tax-free Bahamas.  If we could all make sacrifices like this.  ::)
If anything I have posted has been illuminating, please remember that I merely reflect the light of others...but also it's me.

Offline Cognomen

• Ungrateful Biped
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Wanderer, but in All the East
« Reply #133 on: April 09, 2012, 10:18:01 PM »

Its my crack.

I can only wish.

One step at a time though... UTB!

If anything I have posted has been illuminating, please remember that I merely reflect the light of others...but also it's me.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: New Calendarist
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #134 on: April 12, 2012, 02:09:55 PM »
I am not British, but I absolutely adore British accents of English language. Sorry Americans, you just can't compete with them. :police:
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!