Author Topic: I am British, therefore I love...  (Read 25511 times)

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
Re: I am British, therefore I love...
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2009, 07:20:05 PM »

Not a Brit, not a drop of Brit blood.  In fact, we Egyptians and Arabs have issues with the Brits.  But....

British Foreign Policy - The foreigners only loved us when they were too scared to say otherwise.

The Irish have never been too scared to say otherwise.  Ever heard of the IRA?  That's all I'll say here, but if you care too discuss it further, join me over on the politics section for a history lesson.  ;)
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2009, 07:20:05 PM »
Betty Windsor

Her name is not "Betty Windsor." It is "Her Britannic Majesty, Queen Elizabeth the Second."

Until us American's came along and stripped her of all that goofiness.  Now it just plain 'ol "Betty".  :-*   
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)

• Merarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South (OCA)
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2009, 07:53:56 PM »

:laugh: The British tradition of electing an idiot... 

In my humble opinion, Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson is so much better than Ken Livingstone that I wonder who is not an idiot in your estimation.

Offline Catherine

• Elder
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2009, 08:42:25 PM »
Ever heard of the IRA? 

Unfortunately, yes. Can't we stay here? May I pour you a glass of wine, Gabriel? Relax your mind...Think nice thoughts (i.e., let's bury our heads in the sand).  :) 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAxj29EAwDU&feature=related

« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 09:02:52 PM by Catherine »

Offline Catherine

• Elder

Offline Catherine

• Elder
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2009, 08:54:04 PM »

Wales..

WELSH NATIONAL ANTHEM:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUWd2CrAXj4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwyR-ir9XX4

Dawnswyr Delyn, National Eisteddfod, Mold 2007:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xToyeYfFf_Y

........God the father asked Jesus to come to him before they started creating the world. "Son, just wait until you hear about the place I've just designed; I'm going to call it Wales". Jesus answered "Tell me about it father". "Well," the father said "it has beautiful green mountains in the South, and in the North I'm going to give it great majestic rocky mountains. And then I'm going to give it the most beautiful waterfalls and valleys. And I am going to bless the people with an endless supply of coal to keep them warm and beautiful red gold which will become known as the most beautiful gold anywhere in the world. I am going to give them the skills to farm so that they never go hungry. And finally I am going to give them the best singing voices of any of the peoples of the world." Jesus said "it sounds wonderful, but aren't you being a bit unfair giving one people so many blessings?". The father answered "Ah Son, you haven't seen the full picture yet. You haven't seen the neighbours I am going to give them......"

Offline Catherine

• Elder
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2009, 08:59:28 PM »

Offline Bono Vox

• The Orthodox Bagpiper
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2009, 09:30:55 PM »

The Celts

I'd love to see a revived Celtic Church WRO.

btw, just to identify:(clockwise from upper left): Brittany (the French might argue with you on this), Isle of Man (not in the United Kingdom, but a personal union), Scotland (see below), Wales (not represented in the Union Jack(!)), Cornwall (land of the Prayer Book Rebellion), and Ireland.  The symbol in the center is the triskele
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triskele

I think the Union Jack is one of the coolest looking flags.

You mean the corrected one?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5c/Scottish_Union_Jack.jpg

England forever, Scotland a wee bit longer!

LOL! Yes, the corrected one is much more to my liking.
Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!

Offline Catherine

• Elder
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2009, 09:42:56 PM »

:laugh: The British tradition of electing an idiot... 

In my humble opinion, Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson is so much better than Ken Livingstone that I wonder who is not an idiot in your estimation.

Hmmm.....tough choice!  :)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 09:43:14 PM by Catherine »

Offline Catherine

• Elder
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2009, 10:36:21 PM »

Not a Brit, not a drop of Brit blood.  In fact, we Egyptians and Arabs have issues with the Brits.  But....

British Foreign Policy - The foreigners only loved us when they were too scared to say otherwise. I blame the Vikings, Saxons, Normans and Romans for all the bad things about Britain...

Heah, Heah!  I DO have Viking blood.  And my sons have Roman.

Pot..kettle.. black..   :laugh:

Offline Liz

• High Elder
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2009, 06:06:27 PM »
British food is YUMMY. Well, it is when it's properly cooked. My partner nearly broke his Advent fast over my mum's honey-glazed gammon (cured ham) at Christmas!

But I will also add:

1) Beautiful beautiful handwritten bibles (pre-schism, so we can all appreciate them) in the British Library.
2) In fact, the British Library
3) The fact you're never (really) all that far from the sea.
4) The crazy laws that still stand (eg. legalizing the shooting of Welshmen with a bow and arrow anywhere within the city limits, on a Sunday, or the Head Boy's right to a pint of small ale and pasture for his goat. Nowhere but here ...)
5) North/South wisecracking.
6) All the lovely literature.
7) All the lovely languages
8) TEA!

... and, just to be fair because someone mentioned the other place ...

8) Cambridge!

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
  • O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2009, 06:22:55 PM »
Clotted Cream and Scones!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2009, 02:23:24 AM »
I'm not British, but I love that:

Made by Germans but they've bought a license from an English company. I wonder how many of you know, what it is.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Catherine

• Elder
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2009, 07:40:42 AM »
I'm not British, but I love that:

Made by Germans but they've bought a license from an English company. I wonder how many of you know, what it is.

Finally - a question I know the answer to. :-) I'll let others have a go...

----------------

I spend a lot of my time in Bath (when I am fortunate enough to visit England, the UK).

http://www.picturesofengland.com/England/Somerset/Bath/pictures/1080868

Offline Catherine

• Elder

Offline Liz

• High Elder
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2009, 08:47:14 AM »
I can't seem to make pictures work. Any advice what I'm doing wrong? I've read how to do it on another thread in this site, it just doesn't seem to work for me!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 08:48:40 AM by Liz »

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Faith: Finnish Orthodox
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2009, 09:18:18 AM »
These pictures makes me want to be British. God made me born in a wrong country.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Heorhij

• Merarches
    • Mississippi University for Women
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2009, 10:26:39 AM »
These pictures makes me want to be British. God made me born in a wrong country.

I have the same feeling right now. However, I actually have some friends who live and work there (in Manchester). They agree that the country is extremely beautiful, but they have hard time dealing with its population...  :-[
Love never fails.

Offline Andrew21091

• OC.net guru
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2009, 12:41:58 PM »
For the Scots!

Haggis!

His knife see rustic Labour dight,
An' cut you up wi' ready sleight,
Trenching your gushing entrails bright,
Like ony ditch;
And then, O what a glorious sight,
Warm-reekin, rich!

« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 12:42:20 PM by Andrew21091 »

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2009, 05:24:04 PM »
Is  haggis somethin like Polish kaszanka? It looks like that.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Catherine

• Elder
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2009, 07:21:41 PM »
For the Scots!

Haggis!

Like ony ditch;
Warm-reekin, rich!

I have never tried haggis. What does it taste like?

Offline Catherine

• Elder
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2009, 07:30:52 PM »

I have the same feeling right now. However, I actually have some friends who live and work there (in Manchester). They agree that the country is extremely beautiful, but they have hard time dealing with its population...  :-[

Is it the people that your friends have trouble with  :-\  :-) or the sheer number of people in a small country, George? Some parts of the United Kingdom are densely populated (especially England).  However, many parts of Wales and Scotland are sparsely populated; there is no shortage of room to build new houses, etc, Mr. Brown.... 

The population is very unequally distributed over the four parts of the UK: England more or less constantly makes up 84% of the total population, Wales around 5%, Scotland roughly 8.5 %, and Northern Ireland (since 1921) less than 3%. (Source: Office for National Statistics; National Assembly for Wales; General Register Office for Scotland; Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency.)

« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 07:31:59 PM by Catherine »

Offline Catherine

• Elder
« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2009, 08:09:44 PM »

Are you Finnish, Alpo? Finland is an absolutely beautiful country. I am derailing the thread, but I suppose I can say I am British, therefore I appreciate the beauty of other countries. I'll just post a few pictures..

Offline Catherine

• Elder
« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2009, 08:12:15 PM »

London's West End

Offline Catherine

• Elder
« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2009, 09:45:19 PM »
I can't seem to make pictures work. Any advice what I'm doing wrong? I've read how to do it on another thread in this site, it just doesn't seem to work for me!

Hi Liz,

1. Choose a picture, right click on the picture, choose (right click on) properties and copy the image address (URL).

2. Come back to your post.  Above the message box, you will find a number of options to choose from, including the bold option (B) and italicized option (I). Underneath the italicized option, you will find the image option; click on this button. 

3. To post the image you simply paste the image address (URL) between the image brackets; it should look like something like this...

(img)IMAGE ADDRESS(img).

I hope this makes sense...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 09:48:09 PM by Catherine »

Offline Catherine

• Elder
« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2009, 09:58:01 PM »

St Alban's Altar

Offline Orthodox11

• Archon
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2009, 10:00:50 PM »
St Alban's Altar

Orthodox Liturgy takes place in the chapel behind this one (opposite his Shrine) once a month.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 10:01:07 PM by Orthodox11 »

Offline Catherine

• Elder
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2009, 10:38:37 PM »

The Tiny Orthodox Chapel, Walsingham, Norfolk.

Offline Catherine

• Elder
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2009, 10:40:21 PM »
Church of Saint Seraphim, Little Walsingham

The Church of Saint Seraphim in Little Walsingham, which was recently purchased from Norfolk County Council by the St Seraphim's Trust, is now in its 41st year.

This tiny church continues to be a place of mission and pilgrimage and to provide an Ecumenical presence for a church within the Episcopal Vicariate of Orthodox parishes of Russian Tradition in Great Britain and Ireland. Saint Seraphim’s is a non-parochial church directly under the bishop. Visitors and pilgrims are welcome.

Many Orthodox people have found it a place where, in the spirit of Saint Seraphim, they have been helped to understand what they should do in their lives. It provides a first experience of the Christian faith for many pilgrims and visitors and a substantial number of people have found their way there into the Orthodox Church.

Visits
Groups of schoolchildren visit Saint Seraphim’s as part of their work with the National curriculum, through the Education department of the Anglican Shrine. Other groups visit independently with their teachers. Orthodox priests with their faithful on pilgrimage to Walsingham, come to St Seraphim’s for prayer and to hold Services.

Saint Seraphim’s Studio and Workshop continues, now at 63A High Street, Little Walsingham. Icons have been painted in the traditional manner since the beginning.

Saint Seraphim’s Trust has been set up to purchase, maintain and care for the church and property. People are needed who have some experience of fund-raising to form a small committee in order to gather funds for the complete restoration of the chapel.

Source: http://www.exarchate-uk.org/Directory/Parishes/Seraphimwalsingham.html
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 10:40:57 PM by Catherine »

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2009, 11:26:15 PM »
For the Scots!

Haggis!

Like ony ditch;
Warm-reekin, rich!

Not bad, really.  I had some in Chicago.  Just try it before you ask what's in it.  :)

Offline Catherine

• Elder
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2009, 11:27:56 PM »
The Celtic Cross

Offline Catherine

• Elder
« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2009, 11:57:39 PM »
For the Scots!

Haggis!

Like ony ditch;
Warm-reekin, rich!

Not bad, really.  I had some in Chicago.  Just try it before you ask what's in it.  :)

It's too late..  :-\

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haggis

"Haggis is a dish containing sheep's 'pluck' (heart, liver and lungs), minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and traditionally boiled in the animal's stomach for approximately three hours."

Adam (a guy I have known since school) loves eating unusual food (he has tried alligator, snake, fried beetles, frogs, spiders).  I think I would like to try haggis, Gabriel....

Offline Irish Hermit

• Kibernetski Kaludjer
  • Merarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us
« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2009, 12:40:50 AM »
British food is YUMMY. Well, it is when it's properly cooked. My partner nearly broke his Advent fast over my mum's honey-glazed gammon (cured ham) at Christmas!

No fasting for ROCA people on 25th December - the great Saint Finnian of Clonard

Is your partner in the Russian Church Abroad?  No need for him to refrain from your mum's gammon.    Hieromonk Michael of Tasmania Australia has written on one of the websites of the Western Rite Russian Church Abroad that those in the Russian Church Abroad have been dispensed from fasting and abstinence on Saint Finian of Clonard's day. This falls on 25th December, New Christmas Day, and so it is convenient for ROCA people in mixed families who can feast with their non-Orthodox family and friends.

Saint Finian is of much significance for the Irish. He is known as the "Father of the Saints" and the "Teacher of the Twelve Apostles of Ireland."

See
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/celt-saints/message/2894

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #78 on: August 29, 2009, 03:33:52 AM »
A Big Blue Box (that's somehow bigger on the inside than on the outside)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 03:34:22 AM by PeterTheAleut »
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)

• Merarches
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South (OCA)
« Reply #79 on: August 29, 2009, 01:24:38 PM »
For the Scots!

Haggis!

I have had it too and I would rate it slightly above sheep's eyes and broiled pancreas--way on the bottom of my list of "edible but..." items.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 01:25:50 PM by Second Chance »

Offline Pilgrim

• Elder
« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2009, 02:53:40 PM »
St. Augustine of Canterbury.

St. George

Vote UKIP!
Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth help us to walk the way of Life, which is Christ Jesus.

St. Cyril, St. Leo, and St. Severus pray that the Church may be united and one, Eastern and Oriental.St. Issac the Syrian, pray that Assyria would return to the Holy Church. St. Gregory, pray for Rom

Offline Liz

• High Elder
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2009, 03:56:00 PM »

This beautiful Psalter in the Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge (made in East Anglia).

Beautiful woods. This one is in Yorkshire, near Skipton.

The man himself:

Old English poetry - especially The Wanderer.

(Thanks Catherine for telling me how to post these!)

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2009, 10:35:02 PM »
St. Augustine of Canterbury.

St. George

Vote UKIP!

What's UKIP?  I just want some clarification.  I don't mean to spoil the fun, but if it is a political party, we must remember that there's no politics in the public forum.  Thanks.   :)

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Faith: Finnish Orthodox
« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2009, 05:26:47 AM »
Are you Finnish, Alpo? Finland is an absolutely beautiful country. I am derailing the thread, but I suppose I can say I am British, therefore I appreciate the beauty of other countries. I'll just post a few pictures..

Yes, I am a Finn. Thank you for those pictures. There's certain beauty in Finland although we can't compete with your country. Let's try again after thousand years after we have built a couple of gothic cathedrals, canonized our saints and and made some other necessary adjustments. :P
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 05:27:31 AM by Alpo »
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Liz

• High Elder
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2009, 06:09:39 AM »

There's certain beauty in Finland although we can't compete with your country. Let's try again after thousand years after we have built a couple of gothic cathedrals, canonized our saints and and made some other necessary adjustments. :P

Don't say that! All countries are beautiful and it would be so boring if they were all the same. I for one am now really wanting to do a long tour of all the lovely places others have provided pictures of!

:-)

Offline Orthodox11

• Archon
« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2009, 07:46:50 AM »
What's UKIP?

UK Independence Party. They basically want the UK to pull out of the European Union. I don't think the above was intended to be any more political than "Yey! Go Britain!" though :)

Offline Liz

• High Elder
« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2009, 07:49:45 AM »
What's UKIP?

UK Independence Party. They basically want the UK to pull out of the European Union. I don't think the above was intended to be any more political than "Yey! Go Britain!" though :)

If that's what qualifies as non-political support of Britain, I'm ashamed of my country.

Offline Orthodox11

• Archon
« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2009, 12:08:41 PM »
They agree that the country is extremely beautiful, but they have hard time dealing with its population...  :-[

I think this Eurostar advert pretty much sums up the sentiments your friends are expressing:

If that's what qualifies as non-political support of Britain, I'm ashamed of my country.

I've never met anyone who took UKIP seriously, which is why I assumed it was not politically motivated.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 12:09:49 PM by Orthodox11 »

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2009, 12:10:50 PM »
For the Scots!

Haggis!

Like ony ditch;
Warm-reekin, rich!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2009, 12:21:35 PM »

Yes, I am a Finn. Thank you for those pictures. There's certain beauty in Finland although we can't compete with your country. Let's try again after thousand years after we have built a couple of gothic cathedrals, canonized our saints and and made some other necessary adjustments. :P

What's wrong with Herman of Valaam, without which perhaps their would be no American Orthodox Church?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SergiyandHermanofValaam.jpg

Btw, since Catherine posted the picture of the harbor views of the Luthera Cathedral of Helsinki, I'll post the other state Church's Cathedral (whose name's day is coming up/just came up). Somewhere I have the harbor shot of both. btw, Finland is the only example of "tolerance" that I've admired.

http://www.portpromotions.com/upload/1216140779_Europe%20-%20Helsinki.jpg

There is a gothic Cathedral in Finnland, e.g.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/68/Turku_cathedral_interior_April_2006.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9e/Cathedral_of_Turku_1814.jpg

I remember pondering the unity of Western Culture when I looked at the similarity of Gothic art and architecture I saw in Finland to that in the Rest of Europe (including Poland, the Czech lands and Croatia btw).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 12:34:47 PM by ialmisry »
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth