Author Topic: I am British, therefore I love...  (Read 30149 times)

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • I was almost normal once, but I got better.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Re: I am British, therefore I love...
« Reply #180 on: February 25, 2013, 06:02:11 AM »
I do find myself getting suspiciously proud of God's own county, though, so I think I'm a sort of non-English Yorkshireman.

I love Yorkshire. My mother-in-law still lives in Saltburn, so we get to visit 2-3 times a year and bimble about the place. The people, paradoxically, are closer to the Greek mentality than those further south. Whitby is one of my favourite places anywhere (not least because of the Magpie!) - I probably wouldn't want to live there, but making it to a Goth Weekend event is on my bucket list. :D
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline jmbejdl

• Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
  • OC.net guru
  • Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava
« Reply #181 on: February 25, 2013, 06:30:32 AM »
I do find myself getting suspiciously proud of God's own county, though, so I think I'm a sort of non-English Yorkshireman.

I love Yorkshire. My mother-in-law still lives in Saltburn, so we get to visit 2-3 times a year and bimble about the place. The people, paradoxically, are closer to the Greek mentality than those further south. Whitby is one of my favourite places anywhere (not least because of the Magpie!) - I probably wouldn't want to live there, but making it to a Goth Weekend event is on my bucket list. :D

I grew up in Leeds and then later on the West/South Yorkshire boundary between Wakefield and Barnsley. Not sure what you mean by a Greek mentality exactly, but I've always found the people in Yorkshire to be more 'European' in mentality than the ones in the south east - I don't mean by that that they are pro-EU or anything, just that they seem closer in attitude to the various nationalities that make up the mongrel horde that I call a family. Whitby, and all the coast around that way, is nice. It's not my favourite place in England though - that would have to be the area of the Northumberland coast around Bamburgh and Lindisfarne.

James
We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #182 on: December 23, 2013, 02:50:37 PM »

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • I was almost normal once, but I got better.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #183 on: December 23, 2013, 03:01:45 PM »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~