OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 01:09:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antiochian Red Service Book  (Read 2043 times) Average Rating: 0
BasilCan

« on: August 25, 2009, 10:36:19 PM »

Does anyone know the origin and author(s) of the Standard Antiochian Red service book (not the little red prayer book, but the service book)? It is copyrighted 1971. One of the things that is noted is that it has abridged marriage and baptismal rites (as compared to standard Greek/arabic texts). The funeral service is abridged (as most jurisdictions do) in a unique way as well. I was once told it was base upon an Arabic Little Euchologion, others say Fr. Stephen Upston (sp)? Anyone with knowledge here???

Basil
BasilCan

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 09:33:51 PM »

Are there no seminarians at HC (or other seminary) that can ask this question to their Antiochian profs?

Basil
rwprof
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA now, Antiochian originally

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 09:59:38 AM »

Does anyone know the origin and author(s) of the Standard Antiochian Red service book (not the little red prayer book, but the service book)? It is copyrighted 1971. One of the things that is noted is that it has abridged marriage and baptismal rites (as compared to standard Greek/arabic texts). The funeral service is abridged (as most jurisdictions do) in a unique way as well. I was once told it was base upon an Arabic Little Euchologion, others say Fr. Stephen Upston (sp)? Anyone with knowledge here???

Basil

Are you talking about Nasser, the great big book?

Mark (rwprof) passed into eternal life on Jan 7, 2010.  May his memory be eternal!
samkim
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 10:16:52 AM »

Basil

Are you talking about Nasser, the great big book?

No. He's talking about the Antiochian "Service Book." It's a thin medium sized book.

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
BasilCan

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 03:53:50 PM »

It's been a couple of years since I posted this, so here is a follow up for new and existing members. Anyone have any history on this book?

Basil
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 07:49:33 PM »

I take it you mean this one?

http://www.conciliarpress.com/books/from-other-publishers/prayer-and-service-books/service-book.html

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 08:53:58 PM »

Isabel Hapgood?
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 10:12:31 PM »

Isabel Hapgood?
The archdiocese keeps the Hapgood book in print, but hardly anyone outside of seminarians uses it. The Hapgood book is translated from Russian sources, but the Service Book is from Greek and Arab, IIRC.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 10:13:09 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 11:19:38 PM »

A former priest of mine used to say, "Just think what Isabel Hapgood could have done with a computer!"
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 06:14:45 PM »

Basil
Well, I don't have anything new to contribute, but I flipped through the book this morning and I thought it was interesting in Met. PHILIP's forward that it said the service book was rendered in a way to reflect current usage of the services rather than being "archeologically correct."
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 06:15:10 PM by Agabus » Logged

arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 08:28:40 PM »

Basil
Well, I don't have anything new to contribute, but I flipped through the book this morning and I thought it was interesting in Met. PHILIP's forward that it said the service book was rendered in a way to reflect current usage of the services rather than being "archeologically correct."

The book dates back to the Met. Anthony Bashir days. Priest were cutting the service left and right and the book was designed to put forth a standard. Almost every edition has some changes in it. Despite the errors and deficiencies it is a well designed book that is easy to use for both clergy and laity. 

Joseph
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 08:32:47 PM »

I should add what I heard a bishop say one time about this book. He picked up a certain priest copy and noticed that many prayers were crossed out. He quip about this was "Father, this book has already been cut down to the bare minimums, you do not need to take more away."

Joseph
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 10:58:21 AM »

Basil

The book dates back to the Met. Anthony Bashir days. Priest were cutting the service left and right and the book was designed to put forth a standard. Almost every edition has some changes in it. Despite the errors and deficiencies it is a well designed book that is easy to use for both clergy and laity. 
I just thought it was a nice bit of honesty to say, "Hey, here's how we do it. In some ways, it's a break from history."

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: