OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 11:48:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Please Pray for Me Again - Non-prayer replies  (Read 4123 times) Average Rating: 0
Douglas
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« on: August 24, 2009, 11:11:40 AM »

CONTEXT NOTE:  The following discussion started HERE in the Prayer Forum.  To keep the Prayer Forum devoted solely to prayer, please post all your non-prayer replies to Rosehip's prayer request here.

- PeterTheAleut

Lord have mercy.

Rosehip, I hesitate to say very much (and I suspect there are many reading this thread who feel the same) since I can read your pain between the lines. But I'm going to throw caution to the wind and say it anyway and hope that you will accept that I offer this with good intentions. It seems to me that you have some wrong ideas about relationships. For instance, you keep using the expression "worthy" in connection with your wanting to be worthy or deemed worthy to have a lasting relationship with a man. We all know that many people have relationships and yet are not necessarily worthy of such. I'm not sure I see your point unless you are subconsciously trying to force God's hand as it were. In other words, you may be saying (in this imaginary scenario): "Lord, make me worthy to have such a relationship!" Then if a relationship does not come about the blame shifts onto God's shoulders since He could have made you worthy but did not. The onus for a relationship always remains with each one of us. That doesn't mean we can't go to the Lord and ask Him to intervene but at the same time we will need to recognize that the lion's share of developing a relationship is going to rest with each one of us. I would try to eliminate this idea of worthy from your thinking if I were you.

Another observation. If we appear too needy or desperate, it can have a negative effect upon the opposite gender. Oh... we might eventually attract someone but I can almost guarantee it will be the wrong person. Men who might be attracted by such a woman would be men who want to control and manipulate and that relationship could be hell on earth.

Someone said much earlier in another thread (and it was such a great observation) that the key was finding peace and contentment within oneself and only then would one be able to project a self-confident, self-assured person to the outside world. And a happy, contented, fun-to-be-with person will definitely attract others.

I wish you well.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 02:02:43 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

Douglas no longer posts on the forum.
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 11:27:07 AM »

How on earth is a person supposed to exude self-confidence when they've been rejected by every man they've ever cared about for 40 years??? This is what I'd like to know. Those of you who are married simply don't understand in the least. Especiallly when your body has just been ravaged by some very destructive and serious cancer treatments in ways which could very well harm a relationship in ways that healthy men cannot comprehend? When you were totally healthy for decades-took extreme care of that part of your body for your future husband's sake, and could have had many children-but now it's all taken away, all taken away???

And, he did write me a letter last night, explaining why he chose this other woman, and not me, whom he had met first. He said this other woman had called his number when he had given it to her, they had chatted for 2 hours and then last night they went out on a date,-he enjoyed it and decided to stick with her for now. To remove both their profiles so as to be honest and yet he said he told her he had met and liked me initially and would only remove his profile when he got my contact info (whatever). He said that if I had called him up and went out with him right away then things may have turned out differently.

From all this, it seems to me men are used to instant gratification. They don't comprehend years of suffering, of not having their deisres met exactly when and  how want them met. I had told this man to please bear withme, that I was shy over the phone with strangers ut that I couldn't wait to meet him. Sigh.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 11:29:18 AM by Rosehip » Logged

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 11:55:58 AM »

Please pray for me again. Sad I' m going through some really hard times again. I am so weary, so weary, of trying to be good enough for a man. But I am really tired of being alone in life. Life has been so hard, with going through so many losses with cancer-it's just been one horrifying loss after the next. I really long for companionship, comfort, love, someone who truly cares, someone whose hand I can hold,someone whose shoulder I can lean upon. I just thought I had met possibly such a man, and was really looking forward to meeting him, but he wrote me to tell me he's already found another woman, only a week after putting up his profile. I am nearly grief-stricken and don't know how much longer I can endure such terrible disappointments, especially in my already weakened, and severely demoralized state. I've been having to make myself ill looking for love and these divorced men repeatedly, almost instantly, find a new partner, while I remain alone, so terribly alone decade in and decade out.

Please please pray for me. Please pray that I will be deemed worthy of the love I've waited so dreadfully long to experience. It would be such a relief, such a blessing, I would appreciate it so much, so much. Please, please pray that I will be worthy, be good enough not to have to continue so alone and forsaken in life. Please pray some good, decent, caring man will notice me, will not reject me yet again for someone else. Please, please, please. Please pray that I too will have a chance to love and be loved.

Trust God. Throw yourself into the Church's arms with wild abandon. Go to every service your health allows and then some. Ask for an anointing. Visit wonderworking icons if you can. Pray ceaselessly and ask others to pray for you as you have been. Live for others.

Remember, illness and hardships are holy ground. They humble us enough and make us sensitive enough to really transfigure our souls.

"Only when a sword is put into the flames and made white hot, do you see the flaws"
old Japanese saying
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 11:56:42 AM by Marc1152 » Logged

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 12:07:24 PM »

I can't, Marc. I've almost totally lost my faith through all this. This has been like the last straw which broke the camel's back. I am so disappointed with the priests who didn't even come to visit me when I was in hospital (even though the Ukrainian Greek Catholic chaplain woman tried and tried to contact one-unbeknownst to me-she was the only person who came and prayed in that sort of capacity-and she was a hospital employee), with the trite, meaningless platitudes they have to offer me. Everything seems so empty. If I go to church, I am surrounded by people exuding smugness in their relationships, in their fertility and constant childbirth, in their culture of which I will never fully be a part, of hearing about a certain brand of politics which I find repulsive and unable to stomach gracefully. It doesn't help me anymore.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 12:11:14 PM by Rosehip » Logged

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Catherine
Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 12:24:23 PM »

People are people, Rosehip; people will let you down (we all have our weaknesses, we are all in need of a Saviour). God is the only One Who can be fully trusted.

Many women and men, Christians and non-Christians, base their self-worth on their looks, their education, their jobs, their family status, the number of friends they have, or they place too much importance on it all. Material success, looking the right way, wearing the right thing, having a partner, etc, brings a feeling of security: it is human nature.. "I have a good figure, a nice car, a nice home, a very good income, a shining career, a wonderful boyfriend, therefore I have everything"...

On your dictionary.com, self-esteem is defined as:

1. belief in oneself; self-respect
2. undue pride in oneself; conceit

Self-confidence is defined as:

confidence in oneself, one's own abilities, etc.

Our sense of self-worth can be based on:

our physical appearance
our jobs
our financial status
our talents and strengths
our romantic relationships, etc

This is what I have learned.... As a Christian, I am to have the deepest and most profound sense of confidence, but the foundation for my confidence is not myself, or anything I own or have in this world, it must be God. I should base my self-worth in nothing more and nothing less than Christ, in His love for us and how he demonstrated that love through His death and resurrection. After experiencing God's grace, and seeing the beauty of who I truly am in Christ, I will come to truly love myself. It is not a pride thing or selfish thing but a love that is thankful to God. I can only have good and true self-esteem in Christ when I look at my whole self through the eyes of Grace. The things that we are given, no matter what it is, comes from God anyway. Praying and having a close relationship with God has helped me so much and I now have much more confidence, real confidence; I mean, I do not judge myself like the world judges me. Being close to Christ is true happiness - I am talking about a deep inner happiness. Jobs fall through, things go wrong in my relationships, people stab me in the back, people treat me like something they have just stepped in on in the street. I battled illness for a couple of years. I might put on weight in the future, out of choice, I might lose my job, my house might burn down to the ground, perhaps I'll never meet the man of my dreams - someone who truly loves me - but I will remain glowing with the confidence, happiness and peace that only comes with being close to Christ - God willing. God loves you, Rosehip, He knows what is best for you, it is all in His hands.... As always, you are in my thoughts and prayers...

« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 12:33:02 PM by Catherine » Logged
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 12:42:03 PM »

Please pray for me again.
Lord Jesus Christ our God, as you see, we no longer need You since it is our will, and not Yours that we seek. Clearly, if it is Your Will that our sister should serve You as an umarried person, You are wrong and she is right. Do You not see Lord that the unmarried, such as Yourself and Your Mother the Theotokos, and the countless unmarried Saints are all worthless and incomplete human beings? So, sorry Lord, but you are clearly in the wrong here.
Amen.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 12:47:45 PM »

Ozgeorge, Christ was God-I am not. His mother was indeed married anyhow. I am also not a saint, with aspirations to celibacy and I have already lived so many decades in celibacy. God said Himself "It is not good for man to be alone." He Himself created male and female for companionship, love and deep relationship.

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 12:49:04 PM »

Ozgeorge, Christ was God-I am not. His mother was indeed married anyhow. I am also not a saint, with aspirations to celibacy and I have already lived so many decades in celibacy. God said Himself "It is not good for man to be alone." He Himself created male and female for companionship, love and deep relationship.

And so let us pray:
Lord Jesus Christ our God, as you see, we no longer need You since it is our will, and not Yours that we seek. Clearly, if it is Your Will that our sister should serve You as an umarried person, You are wrong and she is right. Do You not see Lord that the unmarried, such as Yourself and Your Mother the Theotokos, and the countless unmarried Saints are all worthless and incomplete human beings? So, sorry Lord, but you are clearly in the wrong here.
Amen.

Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 12:56:12 PM »

I don't agree with this "prayer". Sorry. I am not saying that some few people may have the gift of celibacy(I have never been one of them), and I am not saying that for them it is wrong. I however, disagree that Mary was single because she wasn't-she was married. For most people marriage is a noble and very biblical and godly calling. It makes the world of difference to love and be loved. To live a life without all of this, as God intended when He created us, is a very sad and empty one. I have felt called to marriage since I was a very small toddler.

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 01:00:06 PM »

We do not know the will of God as it concerns Rosehip.  Only He does.

So, to assume He means for her to be single for the rest of her life, may not be correct.

Maybe, He is simply giving her more time, more experiences, a chance to learn to love herself for who she is, and not base her self image on what some man thinks of her.
...and then, at some point, he will send her man to her.  Maybe.  Maybe not.  Either way, she will be a stronger individual at the end of her journey. 

Therefore, we pray to God that He helps her achieve what He wants her to achieve, that He brings her peace of mind, and contentment.

Rosehip, we, your brothers and sisters in Christ, stand by you, and are here to support you through your many travails.

Lord, have mercy on your handmaiden Rosehip.  Grant her peace.

In all cases, Lord, Thy will be done!

Glory to God!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 01:09:48 PM »

It makes the world of difference to love and be loved. To live a life without all of this, as God intended when He created us, is a very sad and empty one. I have felt called to marriage since I was a very small toddler.

And so let us pray:
Amen.

BTW The Theotokos was betrothed, not married.
 George,

Your posts in this thread have been inappropriate and offensive in the extreme, an offense all the more egregious for its repetitive nature.  Due to your actions in repeatedly mocking another poster's requests for prayer you are being placed on post moderation for 40 days.  Further desecrations of the Prayer Forum will not be tolerated.  If you believe this post moderation unfair, you may appeal my decision to Fr. Chris.

~Veniamin, Global Moderator
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 01:13:31 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 01:43:44 PM »

I can't, Marc. I've almost totally lost my faith through all this. This has been like the last straw which broke the camel's back. I am so disappointed with the priests who didn't even come to visit me when I was in hospital (even though the Ukrainian Greek Catholic chaplain woman tried and tried to contact one-unbeknownst to me-she was the only person who came and prayed in that sort of capacity-and she was a hospital employee), with the trite, meaningless platitudes they have to offer me. Everything seems so empty. If I go to church, I am surrounded by people exuding smugness in their relationships, in their fertility and constant childbirth, in their culture of which I will never fully be a part, of hearing about a certain brand of politics which I find repulsive and unable to stomach gracefully. It doesn't help me anymore.

"I can't" was always my mantra.. Been there, so I understand.. Never the less, hard as it may seem, the ultimate answer is to find solace in the Lord. Or alcohol... Your choice.   Smiley

Find a different Parish, make some changes, pray and pray. Faithlessness ( plus excuses why that is acceptable for you) will not do. Christianity is not for Sissy's. Yes you can seek refuge in the Lord. Meet him only part way and he will do the rest. Guaranteed.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 01:44:45 PM »

Betrothed is basically the same as married. Same rights etc, and is not akin to our modern-day engagement. I am not quite able to understand the position that she never had relations with Joseph, as I see the marriage relationship as completely pure and holy. A person can be intimate with one's spouse and still be holy. It is undefiled and honourable in all. It is totally God's design and a wonderful, blessed, holy and pure thing.

Catherine
Elder

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 02:21:34 PM »

"I can't" was always my mantra.. Been there, so I understand.. Never the less, hard as it may seem, the ultimate answer is to find solace in the Lord. Or alcohol... Your choice.   Smiley

Go for it, Rosehip - Alcohol is God's gift and very good therapy. :-) I enjoy a couple of glasses of wine at the weekend - I enjoy the taste of a good glass of wine, plus it helps me to relax. I drink more (i.e. during the week) when I am going through a difficult time, since the situations I am under are incredibly draining, at times. I see no problem as it is a case of "whatever works" in my opinion -  music, nature, a good read, exercise, a couple of glasses of wine, etc. Obviously, some people get drunk (i.e. completely legless) to escape reality - life can be very tough (at times). I suppose, once again, it is a matter of finding the right balance. Anyway... LizaSymonenko, I completely agree with you..again.

Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 02:31:01 PM »

Thanks Catherine and Liza. I've actually considered alcohol by now. The pain and loneliness is getting so unbearable. Human touch means so much and goes a long way in promoting even physical healing. This is why I really long for a man to love and care for me. I really need some sort of physical touch. I'm not a robot. I'm a bit afraid to touch the alcohol though, since I had cancer. And if this pain keeps up I'm afraid I'd become an alcoholic and that wouldn't be good either.Sad

stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2009, 03:21:55 PM »

Thanks Catherine and Liza. I've actually considered alcohol by now. The pain and loneliness is getting so unbearable. Human touch means so much and goes a long way in promoting even physical healing. This is why I really long for a man to love and care for me. I really need some sort of physical touch. I'm not a robot. I'm a bit afraid to touch the alcohol though, since I had cancer. And if this pain keeps up I'm afraid I'd become an alcoholic and that wouldn't be good either.Sad
I recommend that you stay away from using alcohol as a crutch. It is better to put our faith in the Lord and the Mother of God.
In a previous post you mentioned that a Greek Catholic woman unsuccessfully tried to contact you? Did you ever consider trying to contact her and thank her for that? If she is a chaplain at a hospital, perhaps she is acquainted with some Eastern Christian men or women with similar problems that you are having and it might not hurt to get together and discuss things of mutual interest.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 03:27:58 PM »

The Ukrainian woman was very nice. I really appreciated her. She brought me a small icon and a little electric candle thing. Turned out, we knew many of the same people etc.  Maybe I will try to get in touch with her again. Anyhow, I'll be back in the same hospital soon enough with another surgery this fall, and I'm sure she'll come around again. Very, very nice woman. Thanks for the suggestion, stanley.

Catherine
Elder

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 09:15:13 PM »

I really need some sort of physical touch.

Yes - I can relate to this. I'll keep praying. As I say, it is all in God's hands.

P.S. I am enjoying a glass of wine as I type..*Hic*  Smiley
ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2009, 09:23:47 PM »

Praying for you, Roseship.

Be near your buddies at this sad time.  Hug therapy is better than alcohol.

Hugs from ms.hoorah
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2009, 09:25:13 PM »

Yes, it is so true. I know this, because just before I started the second round of chemo, I had an appointment with the surgeon who had operated on me. He gave me a hug at the end and stroked my cheek briefly with his hand, and that small gesture, that small touch, gave me this tremendous surge of health and courage which lasted for about two weeks.

It hurts so much to have lacked that sort of thing for the whole duration of my life. I know it would help so much in the healing of things right now if only someone would care for me and I would be able to have someone to touch me.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 09:33:48 PM by Rosehip » Logged

ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2009, 09:49:37 PM »

Roseship,

What stage are you now in your cancer recovery?  Forgive please, if that is too personal to ask you.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 09:50:55 PM by ms.hoorah » Logged
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2009, 09:52:34 PM »

Dear Rosehip,

You know, they say nowadays that "30's is a new 20's, and 40's is a new 30's, and 50's is a new 40's." I can tell you that when I was in my 30's (which are now the 40's - and I am MUCHMUCHMUCH older than you are!!!), I was not really mature, confident, happy. I became somewhat more of all of the above only when I reached my LATE 40's (which are, on the modern "scale," your late 50's).

Don't worry about anything! You will meet your wonderful, your only man. Right now, just live one day at a time and concentrate on the positive. Study. Become a nurse. And do not lower yourself to the "men" who are whirling around females on various Internet sites. They aren't worth it. You are so much better than all of them combined and multiplied by 1,000,000,000.

I will be praying for you always, as usual, every morning and evening

G. Smiley

Love never fails.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2009, 09:54:17 PM »

On Sept 2 it will be a year since I was diagnosed and since then I've been through radiation, 2 rounds of chemo, and a major surgery. It's been about 2 months now since I completed the last round of chemo and I'm feeling a lot better now, thankfully. I still have one more surgery to go through, to reverse something that had to be done during the first surgery.

Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2009, 09:59:45 PM »

Thanks George. However, you flatter me unnecessarily. It just isn't true. If I were so much better, I would have been chosen to be someone's wife like a normal person in my 20s (I wanted to be married by 18). Instead, I was always the one who was rejected, just like now.

I deeply regret missing out on life during my youth and health. Such wonderful things could have been experienced...To be young and married. If only one could become young again and experience love and marriage and children and all those things that are normal. Such things are gone forever now.

Thanks for your prayers, everyone.

Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2009, 10:05:12 PM »

Yes - I can relate to this. I'll keep praying. As I say, it is all in God's hands.

Me too.Smiley I know I should not, I tend to go overboard, but I.... do...

Love never fails.
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2009, 10:08:59 PM »

Thanks George. However, you flatter me unnecessarily. It just isn't true. If I were so much better, I would have been chosen to be someone's wife like a normal person in my 20s (I wanted to be married by 18). Instead, I was always the one who was rejected, just like now.

But you ARE a normal person. Its those types who reject you - they aren't. I am serious. Again, just wait till you have your nurse's job and when you are surrounded not by "men" from the Internet but but by intelligent, bright, good, interesting, worthy men from the real life. They will fight for you. I am serious, really, very, very serious, believe me.

Love never fails.
ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2009, 10:11:52 PM »

Roseship,
You have clearly met some yucky, self-absorbed men but God knows where the good ones are located and is working on this prayer of yours.  While waiting for God’s plan, I asked you about where you are in your cancer recovery because chemo is known for making individual’s feel somewhat despondent and the effects can last for several months.  I hope that you will talk to your doctor about feelings of sadness which may partially be due to chemo.
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2009, 10:16:32 PM »

Roseship,
You have clearly met some yucky, self-absorbed men but God knows where the good ones are located and is working on this prayer of yours.  While waiting for God’s plan, I asked you about where you are in your cancer recovery because chemo is known for making individual’s feel somewhat despondent and the effects can last for several months.  I hope that you will talk to your doctor about feelings of sadness which may partially be due to chemo.

Absolutely agree. Thank you, Ms. Hoorah. I could not have said it better.

Love never fails.
Catherine
Elder

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2009, 10:44:54 PM »

Me too.Smiley I know I should not, I tend to go overboard, but I.... do...

(Psst..Red or white?)
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2009, 11:23:57 PM »

Dear Rosehip, may the prayers of the Saints comfort you and enlighten you to the Goodness subtly at work in all that you experience.

The Lord knows how much such matters of the heart have affected me deep within, so I can definitely empathise with you on some level. Your words expressing the need for a physical touch powerfully resonate with me. I have a number of friends, male and female, who I greet with hugs, handshakes and kisses everyday; yet my heart longs ever so much for that touch of intimacy that I once had with certain partners.

I realise the advice of others about finding contentment in yourself and in Faith in the Lord is tough advice to swallow, but, in my experience, it is the only way.

Sometimes we think sitting there disheartened and depressed and doubtful of the Lord's love will in a sense force a sympathetic response from Him to the effect of His granting us once and for all what we desire so deep within. But the Lord simply does not work like that.

I do believe, as one of our Saints once said, that "Faith is the tongue of God" and that God will not withold from us that which we ask of Him with pure and persistent faith. But in the end that pure and persistent faith translates into simple things like waking up in the morning as positive as can be, glorifying and giving thanks to Him before all else; taking every opportunity life throws at you with enthusiasm and commitment; working towards the happiness of others more than yourself; fighting all thoughts of doubt and despair within yourself as vigorously as possible, not giving them the chance to settle and make their residence within your mind--we have so much more control over our thoughts, moods and attitudes than we give ourselves credit for. By the end of the day, you may still remain without a partner, but I assure you, you will be able to look up to heaven, not with tears of despair, but with tears of joy flowing from a mysterious sense of acknowledgement of God's goodness despite how seemingly the same your situation seems by the end of that day. You will be able to put your head on the pillow that night and sleep in peace, ready and committed to take on the next day in the same vein. You don't try to do it, you don't think about how you're going to do it. You just, do it. 

You will end up reaching a point where the desire for intimacy and all such desires which incapacitate you and fill you with despair, have reached such a level of insignificance that the very thought of them no longer moves you. Yet you keep praying for such things, knowing that importunity moves the Hand of the Lord. And, you may just find, that in His mysterious and gracious ways, that it is then, that He fulfills your expectations.

P.S. I strongly discourage you from resorting to alcohol. I think it was very reckless, no matter how well-intentioned, for people to have suggested such a thing to you as an answer to your problem. Was the Cross of our Lord so ineffective that we need alcohol or drugs to deal with our own crosses? The main issue you have to deal with at the moment is Faith. When you resolve your Faith, everything else will be resolved. Resorting to alcohol in such situations is an act that manifests a lack of faith.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 11:24:55 PM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2009, 01:18:38 AM »

Dear Rosehip,

P.S. I strongly discourage you from resorting to alcohol. I think it was very reckless, no matter how well-intentioned, for people to have suggested such a thing to you as an answer to your problem. Was the Cross of our Lord so ineffective that we need alcohol or drugs to deal with our own crosses? The main issue you have to deal with at the moment is Faith. When you resolve your Faith, everything else will be resolved. Resorting to alcohol in such situations is an act that manifests a lack of faith.

I wholeheartedly agree with EA's entire post, but his P.S. is absolutely spot on.  As someone who's recently gone through some relationship issues, I can also somewhat empathize with you on some level.  Affairs of the heart are difficult I know; it's damn hard in fact, but FWIW, dear sister, I (along with a whole lot of others) are praying for you.  Don't give up.  Don't ever give up!   Smiley  Smiley  Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

"Yes, you are a white supremacist, ..."  ~Iconodule
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2009, 01:24:39 AM »

Rosehip,

One thing I know, going through my own stressess and strains with the cardiac problems, is that we have to protect ourselves from toxic friends.  When people say unhelpful things like, "Your cancer (cardiac problem) is part of God's plan" don't you just want to retort, "Really? What does God have planned for you?"   

Talk about what is and is not God's plan and discussions on that level should be intimate ones and only with people like your parish priest and people you really trust on spiritual matters.
ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2009, 02:11:52 AM »

Roseship,

My previous response #26 stating "God's plan for you" relates to the positive things that could happen in your future.  Please forgive me if it appeared that I said God's plan for you was to suffer with cancer.

ms.hoorah
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 02:19:32 AM by ms.hoorah » Logged
Catherine
Elder

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2009, 09:36:31 AM »

Roseship,

My previous response #26 stating "God's plan for you" relates to the positive things that could happen in your future.  Please forgive me if it appeared that I said God's plan for you was to suffer with cancer.

ms.hoorah

Same here.

Just to clear things up..I wasn't encouraging Rosehip to become an alcoholic:

"I suppose, once again, it is a matter of finding the right balance."

I think, like everything, moderation and self control is the key. The whole puritanical outlook regarding alcohol is completely alien to me - I grew up with a healthy, mature attitude towards alcohol. I see no difference between a good read in a warm bath and a glass of wine as alcohol has a calming effect, and this is not a problem (alcohol can be enjoyed). This does not show a lack of Faith as my Faith in God is strong. I can see the negatives of drinking (although Wesley's stance, for example, wasn't Biblical, I can completely understand his concerns. I can understand your concerns also), but there is no Biblical verse that forbids drinking alcohol. Christ drank real wine. My comments regarding George and his glass of wine, etc, were light-hearted.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 09:40:01 AM by Catherine » Logged
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2009, 09:40:30 AM »

Rosehip,

You are in all our prayers...but, I can't agree more...stay away from the alcohol!  That can cause a whole other issue.  You have enough to deal with.

As for your comment of being "normal" and married in your 20's....well then, I guess I'm not normal either.  I'm not married.  I've had my heart broken a couple of times...but, you get over it...and come out stronger on the other side.

I've focused on other aspects of life.  Because I am not married, I have the opportunity to care for my aging mother....this most likely would have been a point of contention if I had a spouse.  I have time to spend with my godchildren....which may not have been the case if I had my own kids.  Mostly, I have more time to dedicate myself to Christ and His Church.  It's a blessing!  Honestly.  I truthfully could not be happier or more content with my life.  My one issue, is that I can't find enough time to do everything.

Mostly, remember you are NEVER alone.  God is always right there....waiting patiently.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2009, 10:09:21 AM »

Just to clear things up..I wasn't encouraging Rosehip to become an alcoholic:

"I suppose, once again, it is a matter of finding the right balance."

I think, like everything, moderation and self control is the key. The whole puritanical outlook regarding alcohol is completely alien to me - I grew up with a healthy, mature attitude towards alcohol. I see no difference between a good read in a warm bath and a glass of wine as alcohol has a calming effect, and this is not a problem (alcohol can be enjoyed). This does not show a lack of Faith as my Faith in God is strong. I can see the negatives of drinking (although Wesley's stance, for example, wasn't Biblical, I can completely understand his concerns. I can understand your concerns also), but there is no Biblical verse that forbids drinking alcohol. Christ drank real wine. My comments regarding George and his glass of wine, etc, were light-hearted.

Context, Catherine, context. Your response misses the entire point because it fails to consider the context. I did not make any abstract assessment of the propriety of alcohol per se, so your responding with the same is nothing but digression. Had your comments been made within the context of some general inquiry about the permissability of a glass of wine or two at a dinner party by someone concerning whom we have very little information to make any assumptions regarding their life circumstances and struggles, then there would have been no remark from me on the matter. The two main issues concerning your remarks as they are so defined by the CONTEXT of the specific thread at hand are as follows:

1) Your suggestion of alcohol was offered as a quasi-solution to Rosehip's struggles, thereby detracting her focus from the REAL solutions: solutions concerned with her relationship with herself and God. You in effect offered a cop-out. In this CONTEXT, it signifies a lack of faith in God. There is simply no way around it.

2) Alcohol abuse is more likely in contexts where despair and discouragement are at play. Qualifying a suggestion to resort to alcohol as made to someone dealing with such despair and discouragement with the disclaimer, "oh, but keep it balanced," will mean very little to that person, practically, when they begin to actually experience the way in which that glass or two relieves their pain. All they will be concerned with at that moment, and quite naturally so, is how to relieve the pain even more, which logically translates into "drink more"...by that time, your qualification is a distant memory with no effect.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 10:16:23 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2009, 10:13:35 AM »

Thanks for all your remarks and support. Catherine, I understood what you meant about the wine, but, in this case, fortunately I don't have any money for extras like alcohol, and I am not sure it is good to drink much since I have had cancer. In addition, since my grief is connected with failure to find love and all the constant rejections, I fear I'd become an alchoholic if I started in on it. Liza is right, I have enough troubles without ending up a drunkard. But this experience helps me better understand the deep pain that can lead to alcoholism. Liza, I never see anyone else a failure for not marrying-just myself, because I gave up my dreams of higher education to pursue the dream of marriage and motherhood, so, for me, this loss is akin to having gone through medical school to become a doctor and then being forbidden to practise medicine. I gave every moment of my life studying to be the perfect wife, homemaker and mother but was rejected at every turn, so this is why i am in such pain. I felt it a holy calling, a vocation- since I was quite tiny.

Douglas
High Elder

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2009, 10:23:01 AM »

Reread what LizaSymonenko posted. It's a beautiful Christian witness, Rosehip, and very well could be your answer.

Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2009, 10:25:04 AM »

Then why didn't you remain single instead of needing to remarry?

Douglas
High Elder

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2009, 10:33:29 AM »

Then why didn't you remain single instead of needing to remarry?

Many reasons, Rosehip. Our personal circumstances are not the same and we shouldn't be trying to equate them, whereas yours and Liza's are more similar. Both of you were never married. I was married for 30 years. Neither of you have had children whereas I've had three along with five grandkids. Liza's mother is still living whereas my parents are long reposed. I did not actively seek remarriage... it simply happened. We literally bumped into one another on the internet eleven years ago and after a time of getting to know one another (nearly half a year) we met, fell in love and married. My faith in God did not weaken nor did my trust in His Church during the bitter time following my separation from my first wife (and bear in mind... she was the wife of my youth... my first love with whom I raised a family...it was extremely gut-wrenching). Instead I cried out for mercy and it came after a period of two years. Why? I don't know. But in all of this you surely can see that our circumstances are one of apples and oranges and a just comparison is unwarranted.

Catherine
Elder

« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2009, 10:55:08 AM »

Here's another light-hearted comment..

Proverbs 31:6   
Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish.

Catherine
Elder

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2009, 11:02:51 AM »

Wine helps me relax. Wine has helped me through some difficult times, but I never lost my Faith in God. I was talking about myself and my situation. My comment regarding "Rosehip going for it" was light-hearted as I posted a smiley. However, I can only speak from personal experience...I enjoy wine as it helps me to relax. I did talk about my experiences, solutions, lessons I have learned:

Praying and having a close relationship with God has helped me so much and I now have much more confidence, real confidence; I mean, I do not judge myself like the world judges me. Being close to Christ is true happiness - I am talking about a deep inner happiness. Jobs fall through, things go wrong in my relationships, people stab me in the back, people treat me like something they have just stepped in on in the street. I battled illness for a couple of years. I might put on weight in the future, out of choice, I might lose my job, my house might burn down to the ground, perhaps I'll never meet the man of my dreams - someone who truly loves me - but I will remain glowing with the confidence, happiness and peace that only comes with being close to Christ - God willing. God loves you, Rosehip, He knows what is best for you, it is all in His hands.... As always, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Rosehip, is in my prayers..
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 11:07:29 AM by Catherine » Logged
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2009, 11:09:29 AM »

Actually, even though I do not quite agree with EA that since Christ gave Himself for our salvation, we do not need alcohol, - I still want to apologize for my yesterday night's careless remarks about drinking. Indeed, it is a very individual thing. If a person does not have the habit of using wine, then it might be a good idea for this person to stay this way. Maybe advising this person to drink is, indeed, something reckless. I am sorry, Rosehip.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 11:10:13 AM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
Douglas
High Elder

« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2009, 11:13:07 AM »

Wine helps me relax. Wine has helped me through some difficult times, but I never lost my Faith in God. I was talking about myself and my situation. My comment regarding "Rosehip going for it" was light-hearted as I posted a smiley.
Rosehip, is in my prayers..

But as has been clearly pointed out, suggesting (even in a light-hearted fashion) that alcohol will somehow provide help during a time of desperation (and it's very apparent to all that Rosehip is in such a time), is both unwarranted and most inappropriate.

Catherine
Elder

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2009, 11:25:33 AM »

Dear Douglas,

I have absolutely no problem admitting when I am wrong about something. I am trying to make sense of this... I really do not see the harm in drinking to relax and unwind.

What does Proverbs 31:6  mean?

"Wine is to be used for want or medicine. Every creature of God is good, and wine, though abused, has its use."

I stressed the dangers of alcohol...
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: