OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 08:12:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Legion: Another Disgusting Blasphemy of a Movie  (Read 1344 times) Average Rating: 0
Pilgrim
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Holy Orthodoxy

« on: August 24, 2009, 07:19:25 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOPn3P8jNxA

God help us. One thing is true though...this world really is covered in darkness and that humans can depict the most high in this manner is proof of it. But this is their lie....that He would exterminate us like rats.

Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth help us to walk the way of Life, which is Christ Jesus.

St. Cyril, St. Leo, and St. Severus pray that the Church may be united and one, Eastern and Oriental.St. Issac the Syrian, pray that Assyria would return to the Holy Church. St. Gregory, pray for Rom
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 07:43:17 PM »

Yeah, I saw the preview for that when we went to see District 9 this past weekend. It looked like a Constantine rehash to me. I have a theory that the quality of any Hollywood film is inversely proportional to the sum of the breasts and explosions in the trailer.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 07:48:55 PM »

So St. Michael the Archangel is trying to protect the unborn Messiah (and in turn, humanity) from God's angels, lead by St. Gabriel the Archangel?   laugh

I know some will see this as a minor thing, but it still bugs me how CGI has failed to universally advance in films in recent years.  I've seen cut scenes in video games that looked more realistic than that whole arm-stretching scene.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 11:11:07 PM »

So St. Michael the Archangel is trying to protect the unborn Messiah (and in turn, humanity) from God's angels, lead by St. Gabriel the Archangel?   laugh

I know some will see this as a minor thing, but it still bugs me how CGI has failed to universally advance in films in recent years.  I've seen cut scenes in video games that looked more realistic than that whole arm-stretching scene.

Left 4 dead = brilliant

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 11:30:58 PM »

Left 4 dead = brilliant

Cannot wait for #2 in November!

Speaking of video games... maybe if the angels had a more "Diablo franchise" look to them, the film would look a lot cooler.   laugh  Saying that, I'll still probably end up watching it at some point.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 11:38:01 PM by Nebelpfade » Logged

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
Pilgrim
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Holy Orthodoxy

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 12:43:35 AM »

I think the movie is disgusting. Seriously tho, District 9 looks great. How was it?

Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth help us to walk the way of Life, which is Christ Jesus.

St. Cyril, St. Leo, and St. Severus pray that the Church may be united and one, Eastern and Oriental.St. Issac the Syrian, pray that Assyria would return to the Holy Church. St. Gregory, pray for Rom
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 01:07:40 AM »

I think the movie is disgusting. Seriously tho, District 9 looks great. How was it?

Honestly, a lot better than I thought it was going to be.  I tend to go into modern movies without the highest expectations though.   Tongue  I would definitely recommend it!

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 01:45:36 AM »

Sure it's not theologically correct but who cares?  I mean, really?

BTW, I heard District 9 sucked.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Entscheidungsproblem
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 02:09:14 AM »

For me, Star Trek I is a bad sci-fi movie.  Tongue  I thought District 9 was really quite good.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 02:48:21 AM »

Generally I like Angel fantasy but it's to corny even for me.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 03:11:09 AM »

For me, Star Trek I is a bad sci-fi movie.  Tongue  I thought District 9 was really quite good.

Blasphemy!

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

lolcat addict

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 01:03:26 PM »

Meh... I'm not terribly concerned when Hollywood doesn't get theology right.  If it were an Orthodox writer/producer/director it might be more of a concern.  I just go to movies assuming what I see is going to be way off.  What I noticed most about the movie is that Gabriel is played by the same guy who plays Keamy on Lost and also played a small part in the Stargate SG-1 series.  He not a fantastic actor, but he does musclehead parts pretty well.

It was a really interesting, fresh story but very violent and gory.  Peter Jackson produced it and he does love splatter.  I recommend it, but be prepared to look away often.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 04:34:08 PM »

Constantine was actually quite good.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 04:57:05 PM »

Constantine was actually quite good.
I enjoyed it, but I tend to stay away from bandwagon films.

District 9 was quite good, and I'm very tough on films. There are some memorable characters and introspective themes. I especially liked the absence of a good/evil dichotomy; each character seemed to be doing what they felt was right, and all were unethical in their own way. Much more realistic than most films. And the animation was beautiful (but what else to expect from Weta?).

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: