OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 10:07:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My mother  (Read 2536 times) Average Rating: 0
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« on: November 25, 2003, 10:58:33 PM »

I've just found out that my 81 y.o. mother in Montana tripped on a flagstone in the snow and fell, breaking her left upper arm bone this afternoon. A friend's daughter took her to the hospital, since my father can't drive at the moment.  She has a sling and will be getting a pin put in it next week.  She says she'll be fine, but then again my family motto is "It's only a flesh wound, I've set the bone myself."

If anyone can spare a prayer for my mother June, I would appreciate it.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2003, 11:14:59 PM »

Thank you, Vicki

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2003, 11:17:55 PM »

Prayers for your mother June.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2003, 11:31:43 PM »

Of course we will pray for your mother.  And for you and your family.  It must be hard for the kids to hear about grandma being hurt.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2003, 11:42:43 PM »

My daughter immediately wanted to talk to Grandmere and is going to draw her a picture in the morning.   I appreciate everyone's kindness and prayers.  Mum is quite healthy and is computer literate, too, but this was a shock.  And it will take a bit longer to heal, I expect.  

Ebor

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2003, 12:09:23 AM »

now I've heard everything - Snow on June in Montana?  Just tell her to watch out for the rest of her health.  Broken bones often lead to complications in older patients.  I will Lifet her in prayer with my evening office.

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2003, 01:28:40 AM »

Prayers for your mom, Ebor.

Good thing it was her left arm; she can still sling a shootin' arn with her right.

Yer know how it is in Montana . . .  Grin

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2003, 01:36:06 AM »

Prayers!

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
Justinianus
Elder

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2003, 09:57:41 AM »

You have my prayers.

"If we truly think of Christ as our source of holiness, we shall refrain from anything wicked or impure in thought or act and thus show ourselves to be worthy bearers of his name.  For the quality of holiness is shown not by what we say but by what w
the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2003, 10:11:43 AM »

Prayers for your Mother, Ebor. It can't be funny at her age suddenly finding she can't use 1 arm.

Do let us know how she gets on.

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2003, 10:37:09 AM »

Many thanks to all.  I haven't called yet today (time difference) but I will soon.

Now, Br. Max, there's even small glaciers in Montana, but in this case it wasn't so much "Snow on June" as "June on the snow". Smiley  

Tut, tut, Linus, we're quite civilized in Montana, and living in a city as my mother does, there haven't been any grizzlies in the neighborhood in a century.  Grin  However, if you saw a picture of three Bison wandering in Great Falls in a newpaper a couple of weeks ago, that *is* near where they live...  But that's a fluke.

Mum is keeping a good face on it and jested at having a "crush" on the doctor who'll put in the pin.  He was the one who worked on my Dad's knee.  But this is not fun, and it does hurt.  I suspect she'll find it more cutting into her computer time and email... that and the jewelry and other things she makes and sells at craft shows.

Ebor

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2003, 12:15:44 AM »

Ebor: three bison? That's not so unusual - in fact,   I saw more than that at the Mall the other day - must have been 40 or 50 of them . . . oh wait . . . Silly me - that was the aerobics class. (why do they do those things in front of the window?)

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2003, 08:54:49 AM »

I've talked to my mother and her first words were "I was going to call you, I'm just fine." (No, you have a broken arm, Mum.) !!! She wishes that the pin could get put in sooner then next week and was quite cheerful about how they won't use full anesthetic, but just a local "and just make a little incision".

I couldn't get through for a while because she was on her computer using one hand.  I could tell from what she said that it hurts and she never really thought about how much one uses the left arm.  A case of "You don't miss the water 'til the well runs dry."  I'll be calling her every day as for all her "I'm fine" I'm concerned.

Thanks to all for your prayers.

Ebor

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2003, 01:52:47 PM »

Mum had her surgery yesterday and she's still in the hospital as the incision hurts.  Dad told me that the doctor said everything went perfectly.  Now it's just getting Mum healed up to go home.

Thanks to everyone.

Ebor

the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2003, 02:50:54 PM »

oh yes = prayers indeed .

Make sure she gets her fingers working

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2003, 02:53:33 PM »

Glad to hear all went well.  Continued prayers!

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: